PDA

View Full Version : My First Hollow Form

Old Arn
19th February 2007, 10:45 AM
This week I made a tool for turning hollow forms and today I got a chance to give it a try. The tool looks just like the Sorby Hollowmaster and it works great.

The bowl is Box Elder burl with some beautiful bright reds and a few bark pockets. Its 5" tall, 4 1/2" wide, 1 1/2" opening on top and 1 3/4" at the base. Sanded to 1200 grit, finished with Waterlox and buffed with carnauba wax.

The bright red area on the bottom of the right pic is sun light shining through a hole.

This is my first try at turning a hollow form and I would love to hear your comments/critiques.

OGYT
19th February 2007, 10:55 AM
Shane, if that's your first one... two things.
Beautiful wood, exceptionally well turned; and your new tool must work a treat!!
Good on ya.
Makes me ashamed of my first dozen!

WillyInBris
19th February 2007, 11:03 AM
Hi,

Well done :2tsup: , I cant wait till I get to a stage that I can turn beautiful piece like yours.

Got any pics of your tool?

Willy

Old Arn
19th February 2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your comments.

Got any pics of your tool?
Willy

The shaft is 5/8" round stock. I drilled out the end for the 1/4" HSS tip and drilled and tapped a hole for a set screw to hold it in place and also so I can remove the tip for sharpening. the tip is rounded and beveled like a small scrapper. I used a torch to heat up the steel so I could bend the end of the shaft.

The 2nd pic shows it next to the Oneway Termite.

TTIT
19th February 2007, 04:43 PM
I reckon ya' pulling our chains Arn! That's way too nice a shape to be your first form and way too nice a piece of wood to practice on .:o Well bloody done mate!

Gil Jones
19th February 2007, 05:06 PM
Very well made HF, Shane!! :2tsup:
Fine, smooth finish, and obviously lovely wood!!

Caveman
19th February 2007, 07:09 PM
Well done :2tsup: , I cant wait till I get to a stage that I can turn beautiful piece like yours.

Ditto that comment - Shane - great stuff - lovely job!

DJ’s Timber
19th February 2007, 07:24 PM
Great HF and very neat looking tool

Toolin Around
19th February 2007, 07:31 PM
Your first!!! What can I say - pretty darn good! Ya know... you're only good at turning because the weather in Utah sucks :D :D :D :D so you have to come up with many indoor activities for 10 months of the year

BernieP
19th February 2007, 08:07 PM
G'Day Shane

Excellent HF look forward to seeing your next one, thanks for sharing

Cheers
Bernie

joe greiner
19th February 2007, 10:56 PM
First try? It'd be more like first survivor for me. Either way, very well done.

Joe

Old Arn
20th February 2007, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone, they are appreciated.

I promise ... I have turned about a dozen bowls and lots of spindle work but this was my first attempt at a hollow form. I never had a tool to do it, now I do :)

I got a hold of a large piece of this burl, about 3 foot in diameter, and this is the 3rd bowl from it. Beautiful wood but most of is very punky and takes a lot of CA to stabilize.

Thanks again for the comments,

WillyInBris
20th February 2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the Pics of your tool :D much appreciated.

Willy

hughie
20th February 2007, 08:50 PM
I promise ... I have turned about a dozen bowls and lots of spindle work but this was my first attempt at a hollow form. I never had a tool to do it, now I do :)

Shane, all the practice has given you a good eye and thats half the battle.

All I can do is echo all the previous comments. :2tsup:

Look forward to your next one with anticipation