PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking glue for outdoor use

oldnick
20th June 2003, 02:47 PM
I am planning to build a handrail for use with steps up to the garden. Segments of the rail will be connected with finger joints. What adhesives are good for this application?:confused:

Wood Borer
20th June 2003, 03:21 PM
Old Nick,

I have used Selleys 308 glue for outdoor applications with no problems however;

I always try to design my joints so the joints take all the forces and the glue is only to stop the joints falling apart.

Make the joints so they do not hold the water and seal them with a good outdoor paint.

Because of the application (a hand rail) it will need to be 120% foolproof because of the consequences if it fails.

I don't quite understand the bit about the finger joints, I assume this means the rails are long and you will be finger jointing shorter pieces to make the length required.

There are better and more expensive glues available for joints that will be continually submersed such as for boats.

- Wood Borer

oldnick
20th June 2003, 03:46 PM
Thankyou WoodBorer, I will seek out Selleys 308 and be glad to use it.
The reason for the segmented hand rail and finger joints: The rail will commence running parallel to the ground, rise at the same angle at the steps, then finish parallel to the groud at the upper level. Thus providing a comfortable grip before traversing the steps.
I am getting on in years and will soon have great need for this security.