PDA

View Full Version : Turning Book by Richard Raffan (Taunton)

Moo73
21st February 2007, 01:07 PM
For anyone interested in picking this book up, I just saw a few copies with price reduced in Civic, Canberra (Smith's bookshop - opposite PO in Alinga St) - $40 down from $70.

Not linked to shop in any way - just walking past and saw them on the 'clearance' tables out front and 'remaindered' shelves inside...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st February 2007, 04:51 PM
Aye, that's a good book that every new turner should add to their library!

I heartily recommend it.

rsser
21st February 2007, 06:00 PM
But which title is it?

There are several.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st February 2007, 06:27 PM
Whoops! :- I read that as his "Turning Wood" book, which is a great buy for beginners. That'll teach me to read more closely. :rolleyes:

His "Turning Bowls" and "Turning Boxes" are also good books, but IMHO not as informative for a new turner.

Penpal
21st February 2007, 06:49 PM
Richard is a member of the ACT Woodcraft Guild and I understand will be at the Turning monthly meeting at the Lions Youth Haven farm where we have a large shed fully equipped with several lathes etc.More info send me a pm I am a life member there. Peter

Twinnie
21st February 2007, 08:40 PM
it's a good point why get a book when you can have the real thing. i had turned for 1.5 years i went to one turning sig and found i'd been doing it the wrong way all that time. he seems a very patiant man but he does like to tell you what shapes to turn. pah useless plate :roll:.

Matt

rsser
21st February 2007, 08:47 PM
he does like to tell you what shapes to turn. pah useless plate :roll:. Matt

... well he did write the book on it .. Turned Bowl Design

Twinnie
21st February 2007, 08:51 PM
... well he did write the book on it .. Turned Bowl Design

this is true bit i prefure to be inspired rather then influenced (my spelling is a case in point)

Matt

rsser
21st February 2007, 09:14 PM
Sure ... but I think of it as throwing thoughts into the brain bucket to let them compost.

tashammer
22nd February 2007, 02:35 PM
Sure ... but I think of it as throwing thoughts into the brain bucket to let them compost.

are we talking about vegetative thoughts or meat thoughts?
how often to you aerate the thoughts?
does it involve screwing your ear around
or will simply shaking your head do from time to time? :U

rsser
22nd February 2007, 03:00 PM
Nah, just let 'em sit Tas.

When the smell dies down I know it's safe to take a look ;-}

Moo73
22nd February 2007, 06:49 PM
But which title is it?

There are several.

Sorry - its from the 'Tauntons Complete Illustrated Guide to..' range (hardcover)

Moo73
22nd February 2007, 06:51 PM
Richard is a member of the ACT Woodcraft Guild and I understand will be at the Turning monthly meeting at the Lions Youth Haven farm where we have a large shed fully equipped with several lathes etc.More info send me a pm I am a life member there. Peter

Thanks for that, I'm a member too, but commitments at home are currently competing for time...I will get there eventually!!
:U
Leanne

baxter
22nd February 2007, 07:24 PM
he seems a very patiant man but he does like to tell you what shapes to turn. pah useless plate :roll:. Matt

Having attended two 6 day hands on courses conducted by Richard I think that patient is an understatement. He is an excellent demonstrator, communicator, story teller and able to show you what to do as he is leaning over your shoulder. I would recommend that any turner should take the opportunity to participate in a class conducted by him, or devote some time to watch him demonstrate at the various Working With Wood Shows.

As far as the useless plate goes, yes I have my share and wondered why am I doing this - but I did get to eat off it:U . It is only when you get in the shed and think "how do you do that" that the purpose of the exercise becomes apparent. The same as the bowls, lidded boxes, goblets and other things that he had us attempt. The information is all still there in the grey matter, but I still refer to his books for guidance.

As far as this thread is concerned "Tauton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning", by Richard Raffan, is basically a summary of the information contained in three of his earlier books "Turning Wood", "Turning Boxes" and "Turning Bowls". The Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning is an excellent book for a beginner and, at the price quoted by Moo73, a real steal. But it won't be long before your will want his other books as well.

hughie
22nd February 2007, 10:37 PM
For a comprehensive listing try here
http://www.booktopia.com.au/search.ep?keywords=ricahrd+raffan&attribute=author&submit.x=34&submit.y=8