PDA

View Full Version : White Cedar ?

BernieP
22nd February 2007, 05:43 PM
G'Day All

Would be interested to hear opinions on type of wood, was told white cedar, but after looking it up Australian White Cedar doesn't appear to grow to this size trunk and white cedar elsewhere is a pencil shaped pine.
Confused:?

Anyway apart from that a bowl out of whatever it is complete with borer holes and poker work(done with soldering iron) around base. as usual comments good and bad appreciated.

Cheers
Bernie

dazzler
22nd February 2007, 05:45 PM
Hi Bernie

I have some red cedar from the Macleay and it is lightish. Perhaps its just a light Red Cedar?

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
22nd February 2007, 05:52 PM
nice bernie whatever
Toni

ss_11000
22nd February 2007, 07:12 PM
the "white cedar" i've used looked like that. i wasnt sure it was white cedar either...still not sure.

Flaco
22nd February 2007, 08:36 PM
Nice bowl Bernie

I belive it is white Cedar (Melia azedarach) we call it chaina berry and Here in Israel they grow very big . I turned bowls from it 20" diameter.
Here is a natural edge bowl I've turned from it

Tornatus
22nd February 2007, 10:08 PM
G'day Bernie

I'm with Flaco - I'm pretty sure it's so-called White Cedar (Melia azedarach), but we're up against the old common names problem. Melia is an Australian native tree, and as far as I know has no relationship whatsoever to true Cedar (Cedrus spp) - it just "looked like" it to some confused European settler.

I remember reading somewhere that Melia has some toxicity, and can cause problems, so be on the safe side - I must check up on this and make sure, as I have some pen blanks waiting their turn.

Regardless of nomenclature, that's a nice bowl, mate! :clap3:

Tornatus
22nd February 2007, 10:12 PM
And a great effort by Flaco, as well! :clap:

TTIT
23rd February 2007, 09:30 AM
Would be interested to hear opinions on type of wood, was told white cedar, but after looking it up Australian White Cedar doesn't appear to grow to this size trunk and white cedar elsewhere is a pencil shaped pine.
Certainly looks like White Cedar to me and I've seen it up to about 600mm diameter so the log size you got is possible.. Flaco's comment got me curious because I thought ChinaBerry and White Cedar were 2 different trees but Google proved otherwise (http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&ibra=all&card=E54)!

I belive it is white Cedar (Melia azedarach) we call it chaina berry and Here in Israel they grow very big . I turned bowls from it 20" diameter.
Nice work from both of you even if it is a weed :;:2tsup:

rod1949
23rd February 2007, 10:29 AM
Here in WA it’s called Cape Lilac. Beautiful timber but you don't want any of the trees growing in your backyard cause every berry seed it drops will grow and the bloody caterpillars... they come down from the tree and spin their cocoons into everything. I've removed three of these trees from my backyard including the stumps (cause they re-sprout) but kept the timber. http://www.arach.net.au/~mpeaty/pests1.html

BernieP
23rd February 2007, 12:33 PM
G'Day All

Thanks for comments and help as usual, after looking at Flaco's (Guy's) picture of his fine bowl definately same wood! Also after reading some of the links I see the berries kill dogs, pigs and man:o and dont use leaves to make tea:wink:

Cheers
Bernie

tashammer
23rd February 2007, 03:30 PM
G'Day All

Thanks for comments and help as usual, after looking at Flaco's (Guy's) picture of his fine bowl definately same wood! Also after reading some of the links I see the berries kill dogs, pigs and man:o and dont use leaves to make tea:wink:

Cheers
Bernie

i will not even think of making teabags and politicians in the same thought in case i end up in G'itmo.

Hmm, White Cedar Herbal Tea
For cleansing the country
and making it free.

Free gift: 7 stake (sic) knives with 7 blanks. Make your own undead stakes

Gil Jones
23rd February 2007, 04:33 PM
Good lookin bowl, Bernie!! Pretty wood too.
Had no idea that Chinaberry and White Cedar were the same species.
Flaco's NE bowl is very cool too!

iron bark
23rd February 2007, 07:31 PM
G'Day All

Cheers
Bernie
They are lethal to some species - but if you like to see the big black cockatoos then plant some - they are a magnet to these beautiful big birds