PDA

View Full Version : The new Guy

Flaco
22nd February 2007, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone,

New here, Love your forum!!.

Just wanted to introduce my self .
My Name Is Guy I am from Israel and I have been turning wood for a year and a half now. I believe we Israeli turners have a lot in common with you guys from down under, same lathes (vicmark, woodfast) and a the timber is similar, since most of the trees in Israel were imported from Australia ( same weather ) Any way you are welcome to check my web site http://www.etz-bar.com/ even tough it is in Hebrew (sorry ! haven’t found the time to translate it, just click around ) .

Caveman
22nd February 2007, 06:44 PM
Hi Guy - welcome to the forum - it's a great place!
Good to see the diversity of forum members expanding.

chrisb691
22nd February 2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Flaco,

Welcome aboad, and I hope you enjoy yourself here. Had alook at your site, and it looks good. It's a pity that the text is upside down, and all jumbled, but I got the gist of it. :roflmao:

Your links section doesn't have a link to the forum, shame on you. :p

ss_11000
22nd February 2007, 07:08 PM
welcome mate.

nice site you got. had a look around ( only at the pics lol. ).

cheers

watson
22nd February 2007, 07:51 PM
G'day Guy,
You'll love this place.
Checked your site and did a Google translate.....that was fun!!
Regards,
Noel

P.S. the translate page does the first three lines, and then went into "think" mode for ten minutes.the quit....fun though

BernieP
22nd February 2007, 08:06 PM
G'Day Guy

Welcome aboard, enjoy.

Cheers
Bernie

hughie
22nd February 2007, 11:06 PM
Guy,

welcome to where the inmates run the asylum ......:U :U :U

Had a quick look over your site, will be going back to spend more time and do a google translation. Nice one!

Flaco
23rd February 2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks every one for the warm welcome,
Chris u are absolutely right I stand corrected , will add a link to the forum in my site !

fred.n
23rd February 2007, 07:29 AM
Flaco

Welcome to the mad house:D

tashammer
23rd February 2007, 07:29 AM
Shalom Guy

Welcome to you!

Tom

TTIT
23rd February 2007, 09:09 AM
Greetings and salutations Guy !. You really need to get that keyboard looked at mate - can 'ardly read a word on that website :;. Impressive pics though - I always pictured Israel as treeless wasteland but you've obviously got some good stuff to work with. See ya' got SWMBO helpin' out in the shed too - great setup mate!:2tsup:

paul collins
23rd February 2007, 12:12 PM
g.day guy welcome aboard

Wayne Blanch
23rd February 2007, 12:41 PM
G'day Guy and welcome. :2tsup:

orraloon
23rd February 2007, 02:15 PM
Falco,
Welcome to the site.
I see you are into the big end of turning. Impressed with your work.

Regards
John

Gil Jones
23rd February 2007, 04:41 PM
Welcome aboard, Guy.
Good folks reside here (talented too).

Flaco
24th February 2007, 02:12 AM
TTIT,
There is nothing wrong with my keyboard, You shouldn't have bought one of them cheap computers screens!!!:U
About Israel , it is truly a turners paradise, we have all kind of trees and abundantly.

P.S. - you probably think we Israelis are busy all day fighting terrorists and no time to turn!!! :~

OGYT
24th February 2007, 01:07 PM
Welcome, Flaco, You do have a nice site!! Pity I couldn't read it. I was impressed with your turning, and that your helpmate gets into it also.
But what impressed me most is your lathe! Tell us about it, please.

Flaco
25th February 2007, 05:05 AM
OGYT
My shop built lathe is basically an Iron table i found in a junk yard, after reenforcing it with thick metal plates and beams I filled it with sand bags , it weighs aprox 300 kilos ( sorry for the metric figures). the shaft is 40 mm in diameter and 500 mm long, mounted between regular double bearings. the motor is 2.5 HP and it is conected to an ivertor that gives me variable speed 0-2200 RPM (two step poly).The lathe swings heavy green and unbalanced wood easily.
I added some pics including my free standing tool rest , please let me if you have any questions.

OGYT
25th February 2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Guy. That's awesome! Seems to be perfection for a turner. You had to have an idea of what turnin's all about when you did that one.
Like the toolrest, too. Thought about making something like that for my Old Griz, but bought a Oneway instead, 'cause Griz was 2 horses lighter than yours!!!!
Well done, Guy, thanks for posting!

ss_11000
25th February 2007, 06:34 PM
cool lathe mate...:2tsup:
how stable is the tool rest?

Flaco
25th February 2007, 06:55 PM
Usually, the tool rest is stable enough. On some occasions, especially when workig in the edges of the tool rest I step on the base to add some weight to it.

Guy

TTIT
25th February 2007, 11:32 PM
TTIT,
There is nothing wrong with my keyboard, You shouldn't have bought one of them cheap computers screens!!!:U
About Israel , it is truly a turners paradise, we have all kind of trees and abundantly.

P.S. - you probably think we Israelis are busy all day fighting terrorists and no time to turn!!! :~With the barby out the back there and all those trees I reckon any Aussie would feel right at home at your joint Guy.:2tsup: Certainly an enlightenment for me - you mean you don't even fight 'em weekends just for fun???:;

Love the bowl lathe too! Brilliant in its simplicity ........ and cheap too which is always good!:U

Caveman
26th February 2007, 05:43 PM
Hey Guy - that's a real neat set-up. Certainly should be able to handle most size lumps of wood!