PDA

View Full Version : simple question re mounting routers

banksiaman
23rd June 2003, 09:18 AM
Hi,

I'm in the process of planning a bigger/better router table to house my new router.
I've been looking at published plans, but not having seen a decent table in the "flesh", I'm puzzled.
The plans that I have seen indicate a drop-in plate that the router base is screwed to. This plate doesn't appear to have any attachment to the table other than it rests on a lip in a cut-out under the weight of the router.
Am I missing the "bleedin obvious"?, as this arrangement seems a little unsafe, but would make life easier, as changing bits on my router from underneath will be a pain.

Any advice???

Thanks.:confused:

GeoffS
23rd June 2003, 09:40 AM
That worried me when I first looked at it BUT it works. I did make some provision in mine to be able to fasten it down but I have never used it.
I don't have any panel raising bits or other very large diameter bits, that might make a difference.
My router is an old big Makita which is very heavy - that also probably helps to keep it all in place.
The rebate is a tight fit so there is no possibility of movement. It is only in MDF so it might loosen in the future. Should that happen I would insert some aluminium angle.
It works so try it - and no, your not missing the bleedin obvious!

Stuart
23rd June 2003, 11:23 AM
Can I resist......trying......fail.....

The Triton router allows above-table bit changing......

The only comment I will make about the drop-in plate is to include something that allows the drop-in plate to be held down once in place (again, look at the Triton solution to this).

Why? Because if you put enough horizontal pressure on a thin piece (such as molding for a frame), you can cause a lever action (to put it in simple terms), that conceivably can lift the plate & the router at the front edge. Don't believe me? Try pushing horizontally only (ie don't push down at all) against your router bit (router unplugged obviously), and see if you can get the front edge of the router plate to lift.

If this occurs, you have obviously moved the bit away from being vertical (and therefore parallel to the fence), and the result will not be satisfactory. (Nor safe)