PDA

View Full Version : Whats your fav goblet wood?

benji79
23rd February 2007, 04:57 PM
After trying a few goblets, my mate asked me "whats your favorite wood for turning goblets?", I replied i haven't actually turned enough to have a fav yet.

What are your favorite woods for turning goblets and why? Thought this would be interesting and informative.

Cheers.
benji.

BernieP
23rd February 2007, 07:23 PM
G'Day benji

Really like the one Joe made out of yew, but my most enjoyable was silky oak, worst to work was aussie red cedar.

Cheers
Bernie

rodent
23rd February 2007, 07:30 PM
Mines tiger myrtle when i can get it, next mmmn dead finish .

DavidG
23rd February 2007, 07:40 PM
huon pine - almost translucent. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd February 2007, 09:48 PM
Hmmm... I'd have to say anything is good, so long as it has a fine, straight grain.

Huon Pine & most Cedars are just too soft to get the nice, delicate stems I like and, for similar reasons, figured wood is out of the question. (Cross-grain and thin stems do not go together well. I like turning goblets that stay together for a bit longer than halfway through the finishing process. :wink: )

At a guess I'd say my most used wood for goblets is Pittosporum, mainly because it's the most appropriate wood I have in plentiful stock (too much, actually. :rolleyes:) and the grain can be glorious. Next would be Red Gum, but it's hard to find suitable pieces because of checking, figure and resin inclusions. Followed by fruit woods, such as Lemon, Lime, Apple, Plum, etc. They're perfect for goblets, but not the most common kerbside logs around here. [sigh]

Oak is good, but I find the end result a bit plain, Pin Oak is great though! I want to try Banksia and Hakea next; they've similar grain to Pin Oak at first glance and I haven't tried 'em yet. :)

powderpost
23rd February 2007, 10:59 PM
Most fruit trees, especially citrus fruits.
Jim

Flaco
24th February 2007, 12:10 AM
I agree with Jim fruit trees are great for goblets preferably pear & apple

Guy

tashammer
24th February 2007, 06:19 AM
i hope the yew goblet was for show and not use 'cos i thought yew was toxic?

rsser
24th February 2007, 06:26 AM
... yeah, the missus would agree with you.

ptc
24th February 2007, 10:58 AM
Horizontal !
ask Ern

benji79
24th February 2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah Bernie, tried one out of ceder, the results were disastrous.

OGYT
24th February 2007, 12:49 PM
Yer right, Benji, this is an interesting post. I haven't turned enough either, but I'm learning from these answers. Thanks for posting it.

rsser
24th February 2007, 12:51 PM
Horizontal !
ask Ern

Yep .. very durable and bleeding whippy! Good technique or a steady needed.

Tony Morton
25th February 2007, 10:06 PM
Hi Benji79
Although i havent turned any goblets for some time aust rose wood would be my favourite coachwood also good red cedar if you get good dense section i havent turned one out of Huon pine but I think it would be great. Qld maple and brazil mahogney have similar cuting qualities.

Cheers Tony

TTIT
26th February 2007, 12:17 AM
! I want to try Banksia and Hakea next; they've similar grain to Pin Oak at first glance and I haven't tried 'em yet. :)I think you'll regret it Skew! Banksia is bloody awful for tearout - soft-hard-soft-hard etc. Can send you a piece if REALLY want to try it! :shrug:

Hmmmm ???? A guy in the desert sending a coastal tree to a guy on the coast.........hmmmmmm!!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2007, 04:45 PM
I think you'll regret it Skew! Banksia is bloody awful for tearout - soft-hard-soft-hard etc. Can send you a piece if REALLY want to try it! :shrug:

It's something I am going to try, even if it is only the once. :D One day anyway; I'm in no rush. Thanks for the warning though, I'll keep it tucked away in the back of the ol' grey matter.

Hmmmm ???? A guy in the desert sending a coastal tree to a guy on the coast.........hmmmmmm!!!

Coals to Newcastle, eh? :) I've come across a few pieces in the past, but not as many as one would think. They've also been mainly branch wood, which isn't really the best for goblets... having heartwood (of any timber) in the middle of the bowl is practically a guarantee of warpage or checking. :( DAMHIKT.