PDA

View Full Version : MC1100 headstock spindle thread?

BernieP
24th February 2007, 08:15 PM
G'day all

Have been contemplating making an indexing wheel for my lathe, I notice there is a thread in the hollow of the spindle and was thinking of fitting one in it. TTIT I have read your thread about the one you made for your MC900 and it looks like it would do nicely. Now seeing I am not very engineery can some one tell me what that thread size is, or do I have to tuck the whole lathe head under my arm and go and get someone to measure it? I feel it is the fault of this forum as I would never have even thought of attempting anything this ambitious, until I've seen all the odds and ends you people have made! Appreciate any help.

Cheers
Bernie

rodent
24th February 2007, 10:41 PM
measure it ,it will probably be 1/2 but make sure. and see if its a left or right hand thread .

joe greiner
24th February 2007, 11:13 PM
Take a piece of dowel (softwood better), prob. 1/2 as rodent says. Shave a long taper to about 3/4 of original diameter. Thread into the spindle whichever way it likes. Remove dowel and measure threads impressed by the spindle.

Don't be surprised if it's non-standard thread, and also left-hand. My HF34706 (and also some Jets I hear) has 1/2-12 LH. Machinery's Handbook lists 1/2-13 UNC and 1/2-20 UNF, but also lists 1/2-12 UNS; UNS is sort of a special standard. Doesn't seem to correspond to any metric equivalent. You may need to have a machinist make threaded rod and nuts for attachments. 12 tpi matches 9/16-12 UNC, so machinist should have appropriate change gears for threading.

Joe

TTIT
26th February 2007, 12:57 AM
TTIT I have read your thread about the one you made for your MC900 and it looks like it would do nicely.

Mine didn't have a thread in it. I measured the inside diameter of the hole in the spindle then looked up a thread chart to find what I could tap it to without resizing the hole. Turned out to be perfect for a 7/16" UNC. It was frighteningly soft material to cut a thread in as I remember too :o

BernieP
26th February 2007, 03:19 PM
G'Day fellas

Thanks for input used Joe's idea and used some dowel turned out 1/2 inch 12 Unc LHT so have ordered some threaded rod and nuts, hopefully available, if not will go to machine shop.

Cheers
Bernie

rodent
9th March 2007, 03:02 AM
how did it go bernie ,did it work out?

BernieP
9th March 2007, 02:32 PM
G'Day Rodent

UNfortunately have up to now been unable to source threaded bolt, so have postponed it until next time in Sydney. Thanks for asking

Cheers
Bernie

Gil Jones
9th March 2007, 04:37 PM
Bernie, if you plug up that spindle hole with a stud, bolt, whatever, how do you reckon you will be able to knock out a Morse Taper drive center? Would you be willing to remove the index wheel/bolt every time you need to knock out the drive center? Or would the index wheel only be installed when needed? Just curious.

BernieP
9th March 2007, 09:47 PM
G'Day Gil

I think I would only need index occasionaly, so would only fit when needed.

Cheers
Bernie