PDA

View Full Version : first vase & goblet

Rum Pig
24th February 2007, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone here is my first vase and goblet hope you like them:).
The vase was made out of CL finished with a two Pac compound that I do not know the name of :?:?The goblet was finished with the same except I think the wood was white Birch?:?
Goblet was 1.5 mm thick thanks to the watchful eye of Ian.:U

Chers Justin:drink2:

RufflyRustic
25th February 2007, 12:28 AM
ooouummm, Yeah, that's nice - real nice!! :2tsup:

Welcome Rum Pig! :)

Cheers
Wendy

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2007, 12:33 AM
Nice. Good job
Toni

joe greiner
25th February 2007, 03:23 PM
Excellent workmanship, Justin. One of the first vases I've seen displayed with foliage. Spectacular grain. For your next goblet, I'd suggest a slightly thinner foot.

Joe

BernieP
25th February 2007, 03:52 PM
G'Day Justin

I like em!

Cheers
Bernie

ss_11000
25th February 2007, 07:05 PM
nice work mate:2tsup:

Wayne Blanch
25th February 2007, 08:07 PM
A job well done Justin, I reckon that deserves a drink!:D

TTIT
26th February 2007, 12:41 AM
Great stuff Justin :2tsup:

Doc Ron
26th February 2007, 05:35 AM
Really nice! Very good job, especially on the goblet.

OGYT
26th February 2007, 03:53 PM
Justin, good onya! Looks like it'll work a treat. :way2go:

Flaco
26th February 2007, 04:49 PM
Good job Jastin,
Great craftsmanship , The grain pattern is beautiful .
:clap3:
Guy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2007, 06:02 PM
I like the form of the goblet, particularly the "knobs" at the transitions of the stem. (But I would... that's how I make mine, too! :D)

Dunno 'bout the 2-pac though... that's far from being my favourite finish. I do use a 2-pac (or Rustin's Plastic Finish) for inside the goblet bowl though, if it's going to be used.

In the 2nd pic of the goblet (the top down view) you can see sanding ring on the foot. Being end-grain it can be very, very difficult to get rid of all sanding marks but one "trick" that I've found helps a lot is to hand-sand it radially (ie. outwards from the centre, across the sanding marks) once it's off the lathe. It won't get rid of all of the marks, of course, but works miracles on the fainter ones that just don't seem to budge while sanding on the lathe. :wink:

Good job, BTW! :D

Caveman
26th February 2007, 06:21 PM
:2tsup: Nice one Justin.

Rum Pig
27th February 2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks you guys:D I do like getting feed back from you the tip from Skew about the sanding rings is very helpful:2tsup: . I should be getting my own lathe soon so I will be able to turn a lot more:D :D :D :D <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I do have a question for Wayne what dose SHMBO stand for :? I assume it has to do with your wife?<O:p</O:p

Cheers Justin:drink2: <O:p</O:p

Wayne Blanch
27th February 2007, 04:59 PM
I do have a question for Wayne what dose SHMBO stand for :? I assume it has to do with your wife?<O:p</O:p

Cheers Justin:drink2: <O:p</O:p

Stands for She Who Must Be Obeyed:slap2:

Simomatra
27th February 2007, 05:05 PM
Great stuff Justin nice lloking goblet . have you tried it out on the rum yet?

Rum Pig
28th February 2007, 11:37 AM
Thank you Wayne I could not work it out I refer to my partner as minister for finance or minister for warfare :punching: depending on what I want or the mood she is in.
No Simomatra I have not used it with rum yet the goblet is a bit small for that so I will need to turn up a bigger one (more than one mouthful)port and muscat will have to do.
Cheers Justin:drink2:

rodent
28th February 2007, 02:35 PM
As for Joe's statment about the foot (sorry joe) I dont agree .It's a large vase ,with a wide rim ,so it will take a lot of flowers .So it needs a large foot to make it stable .I me and myself think it's a good comprimise you have made.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th February 2007, 06:34 PM
As for Joe's statment about the foot (sorry joe) I dont agree .It's a large vase ,with a wide rim ,so it will take a lot of flowers .So it needs a large foot to make it stable .I me and myself think it's a good comprimise you have made.

Now, now... since when has practicality had a place in wood turning? :D

joe greiner
28th February 2007, 10:46 PM
Uh-oh, Justin. No quarrel with the vase. I agree its foot needs to be robust. I meant the goblet; ever so slightly thinner foot would look more elegant, IMHO. Compare with glass goblets, for example.

Joe

Rum Pig
1st March 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm very happy with the way both look and the goblet drinks well (the main thing) :cheers: <O:p</O:p
Joe I did read that it was the goblet that you think could do with a thinner foot and on my next goblet I will try a thinner foot and maybe a thinner stem but for my first one I'm happy. :U <O:p</O:p
When I get my lathe I think I will try a champagne flute has you turn one before? :?
Can they be turned out CL??:? <O:p</O:p

Cheers Justin<O:p</O:p