PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

Jaydo
25th February 2007, 01:57 AM
g'day everyone,
after watching Richard Raffan at school here in canberra i decided to take wood turning a bit further, last year i got into pen turning at school and loved it,
long story short im just about to by a MC900 from carba-tec and all the equiptment.

But i was more looking for tips and information just on turning that you can only get from experience, im hoping to be able to make a few nice things off the lathe.

cheers Jayden

rsser
25th February 2007, 07:16 AM
Welcome Jayden.

Plenty of distilled wisdom as well as opinionated views here.

corbs
25th February 2007, 08:10 AM
Jayden,

Welcome to the forums. Lots of good turners in here with plenty of knowledge to impart. You will get a few comments about being thick skinned, generally thats the regulars protecting this great resource so dont take too much personnally if you happen to be on the end of it. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Corbs

OGYT
25th February 2007, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the forum, Mate. :2tsup: Lot of fine knowledge imparted on this forum. Lot of wisdom, too. :D It's a great place to hang out, and that's a fact.
(lot of malarkey here, too. But that's one of the things that make it so much fun.) :p :p :D :rofl:

Wayne Blanch
25th February 2007, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the madhouse Jayden:D . Theres lots of great people here who are more than happy to impart their knowledge.

As others have said it is also wise to bring along your sense of humour. All in all its a great place to spend some time!:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2007, 07:57 PM
welcome Jayden but be very forewarned the lathe is the cheap part then you need more tools or a bigger lathe and the list grows as fast as your learning ability. But at the end of the day it is an awesome hobby
Toni

Wayne Blanch
25th February 2007, 08:19 PM
But at the end of the day it is an awesome hobby
Toni

Wow Toni, you are lucky! I'm waaaay past "Hobby" and well into obsession!:D

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2007, 08:25 PM
shhh Wayne can't tell him that. he'll RUN...LOL. .
Toni

TTIT
26th February 2007, 12:30 AM
Good to see another 'youngen' join the ranks of the raving mad! Welcome!:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2007, 04:46 PM
Where's the pix? :innocent::whistling2:

Flaco
26th February 2007, 05:08 PM
Jayden,
As a newcomer myself ( to the forum not to turning ) , I confirm there is a lot of knowledge and wisdom on this forum.As for expirieance ... the only way to get it by turning , turning, turning .

Good luck

Guy

ss_11000
26th February 2007, 05:12 PM
welcome to the forum mate:cool:

Caveman
26th February 2007, 05:51 PM
Hey Jaydo - welcome on board. Enjoy the ride!

joe greiner
27th February 2007, 12:08 AM
Welcome aboard, Jayden. Sometimes a zoo here, but also just about the best woodworking info source in the world.

Joe

Rum Pig
27th February 2007, 02:11 PM
Welcome Jaydo
I'm only new to this forum and woodturning I chose to take lessons to learn the craft and meet a great bunch of people in doing so:cheers2: .

I would recommend lessons if only to get the basics down pack if not hit these wise people up on a good book or two the might help you learn the basics:read: . I know how easy it is to lose interest if you cant get going in a new hobby.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

OH they love pics good or bad and a brief description.
<O:p</O:p

Cheers Justin:drink2:<O:p</O:p

Cliff Rogers
27th February 2007, 02:36 PM
Welcome Jaydo
I'm only new to this forum and woodturning I chose to take lessons to learn the craft and meet a great bunch of people in doing so:cheers2: .
I would recommend lessons if only to get the basics ....

:whs:
G'day Jaydo.

Lessons and see if you can find a club near you or some forum members who are turners within range of your place.

While you are learning, you will learn heaps faster hands one with an experienced turner. (Or even a novice who has already had some lessons & made a few things already)

Next best is videos but they are apoor second place 'cos you can't ask questions.

Books are good, once you have the basics, I have heaps of turning books.

I did a bit of woodturning at school way back in '72-'73 & then I bought a lathe in about '80 or '81 at the very first ever working with wood show in Sydney.
It was a Shopsmith & it came with a book of lessons & I tried to teach myself from the lessons & I was hopeless.
In '91 or '92 I took a couple of 6 week night courses at TAFE & joined a local club & I haven't looked back since. :2tsup:

paul collins
27th February 2007, 09:23 PM
welcome jayden,you will learn heaps here.lots of knowledge on this site so always ask away.:wink:

Jaydo
28th February 2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for all the kind welcomes,
im have some pictures up when i get the lathe, although they mainly will be pens, can somebody tell me what would be the ideal finish product for pen turning

Cliff Rogers
1st March 2007, 10:26 AM
...the ideal finish product for pen turning

There is no finish, once you start, you are lost to it forever. :D

Have a look at the Penturner's (http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)forum.

rodent
1st March 2007, 10:48 AM
You just opened a can of wild worms me boy BRACE YOUR SELF!!! lol

Tornatus
1st March 2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the kind welcomes,
im have some pictures up when i get the lathe, although they mainly will be pens, can somebody tell me what would be the ideal finish product for pen turning

Welcome to the forum, Jaydo - you will find it is a great advice/reference resource.

As a number of the others have suggested, you should consider joining a woodworking club and taking lessons. Here in Canberra we have the Woodcraft Guild of the ACT, in which turners are very prominent (especially one member by the name of R Raffan!), and we have a well-equipped Shed with all sorts of beaut gear, including a number of Vicmarc lathes. Check out our website at http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au/

As you have expressed interest in pen-turning, you should know that the Guild has a Penturning SIG (Special Interest Group), which meets regularly and is particularly useful for beginners. Members are happy to teach you new tricks, and we often share pen-blanks which come our way.

You are very welcome to come along to any of our meetings and "try before you buy", but I am sure you will find what we have to offer very useful in your new hobby. Hope to see you soon!

Cliff Rogers
1st March 2007, 04:35 PM
Good on ya Torno. :2tsup: