PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Bench At Last

jchappo
25th February 2007, 06:24 PM
Finally got my lathe bench to a usable stage
Made from 90x45mm construction grade pine. Hand planed and jointed, with thicknessing on the table saw.
Mortice and tenons at all joints.
Mortices cut with the router and a home made jig (no not Rockers - haven't got around to that yet).
Tenons cut on the bandsaw.

Pic 1: One of the 'A' frames during glueup.
Pic 2: The lathe bed support frame during glueup
Pic 3: Assembled stand and bed support.
Pic 4: Painted, with lathe mounted and bottom shelf ... in position in garage.

Still need to finish the top level shelf, but haven't worked out quite what I want.

ss_11000
25th February 2007, 06:40 PM
looks great mate:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2007, 06:44 PM
John she looks pretty dapper on that bench. Way to go
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th February 2007, 06:50 PM
She looks like she belongs there. :)

jchappo
25th February 2007, 07:32 PM
At least I can get back to turning :2tsup:

Only one big sleep Toni :):)

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2007, 07:51 PM
At least I can get back to turning :2tsup:

Only one big sleep Toni :):)

Yep... Good hey! You don't realise how far away Jim is til you waiting desperately on something. :D

Twinnie
25th February 2007, 09:18 PM
looks like a good stand for a mini, are you going to weigh it down a bit?

do you mind if i do a little hijack because i made a stand this weekend too.

it's an ex adfa school desk that i cut up and stuck back togeather with a bit of pine and a bottle jack. the lathe is 100kg and the desk is about 25kg now but it'll be 125kg soon with some sand bags.

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2007, 09:37 PM
Matt, RIPPED OFF!! you have taken a photo but she got no saw dust. Ripped off. No good.
Toni

Twinnie
25th February 2007, 09:59 PM
Matt, RIPPED OFF!! you have taken a photo but she got no saw dust. Ripped off. No good.
Toni

oh lay off your just jelous because you don't have one :p. if you have to know i had to clean it off to lift it on (with the help of my dad and brother).

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2007, 10:50 PM
:boxing: Hey them fighting word. LOL No seriously you did a good job. Tommorrow is getting closer she be here.:2tsup:
Toni

TTIT
26th February 2007, 12:12 AM
........ a bit of pine and a bottle jack.Interesting twist on transfering the weight onto the castors - tagged for further development - thanks Matt!:U

Cliff Rogers
26th February 2007, 09:52 AM
Interesting twist on transfering the weight onto the castors - .....
Thanks for explaining that... :rolleyes:
I was just about to say :wtf1: :D

OGYT
26th February 2007, 03:14 PM
John, well done! Good craftsmanship ain't passe. Looks good mounted and painted. :thewave:

jchappo
26th February 2007, 08:01 PM
l

do you mind if i do a little hijack because i made a stand this weekend too.

Matt

HaHa! I like that - hijack my thread with a picture of a bottle jack :D:D:D

Go for it Matt - it looks like the block the lathe is mounted on is solid. Mine is open to allow the shavings to drop through.
Next job is to make a catchbox so that the shavings don't drop down to the shelf :rolleyes:

Twinnie
26th February 2007, 09:39 PM
sorry for the lack of detail i didn't want to totaly hijack the thread but here it is any way.

i was going to make a stand out of mdf but that was going to be $150 just for the mdf, what you see is about $100 including the jack.
costings and such
the base board is 32 mm thick chipboard which has been grafted from the top and strengthened with bits of plant trolly (the sort they sell seedlings from, you know the type) and the wheels are from the same thing. the desk cost $55 and the planks the lathe is sitting on were $2 each!

dimentions
it's 1100 high 1300 long and 500 deep, it raises about 20mm when sitting on the wheels.

misc
the batterns you see at the front under the base board only go back half way and there is another one at the back, between them is a piece that stops the board going back and foward.

any questions?

Matt

joe greiner
27th February 2007, 12:57 AM
She looks like she belongs there. :)

She also looks like she belongs here.:wink: Twinnie's, too.

Joe

baxter
27th February 2007, 12:17 PM
John, looking good:2tsup:.

Might I suggest a shallow 3mm or 6mm MDF sliding draw mounted on battens inside each leg. That way you would be able to slide the draw out to tip the shavings while possibly having enough room for another storage shelf under.

Is it me, but are the legs slanted in towards the base? If so, am I missing something in the construction technique?:doh:

jchappo
27th February 2007, 08:08 PM
John, looking good:2tsup:.

Might I suggest a shallow 3mm or 6mm MDF sliding draw mounted on battens inside each leg. That way you would be able to slide the draw out to tip the shavings while possibly having enough room for another storage shelf under.

Is it me, but are the legs slanted in towards the base? If so, am I missing something in the construction technique?:doh:

The drawer is the next step, probably pivoting from the back to allow the front to drop down to empty.
Also, a removable section in the rear shelf to sweep the shavings into the draw.

The distortion is caused by the wide angle lens - not even I am that bad:D:D
From the front the legs are vertical, from the side they taper in 5 degrees towards the top.
The front-to-back dimension at floor level is 500mm, and 390mm at the top of the A frame.
The bed support frame is 210mm deep (front to back), but is aligned to the front of the top rail.
This puts the weight of the lathe towards the front, but still inside the bottom of the legs so there is no tendency to tip forward - it just makes it look distorted.
The reasoning behind the off centre placement was to keep the lathe as far from the back wall as possible without extending the footprint of the legs - I am very short of space!
I have managed to squeeze in a router table, triton saw table, lathe, workbench, drawer unit wth drill press & grinder and bandsaw into 3 x 1.7metres, and I am able to operate them all :U

jchappo
27th February 2007, 08:18 PM
A picture's worth a thousand words ...

baxter
27th February 2007, 09:16 PM
Of course the old wide angle lens trick.:doh:

John, my inquiry was a little tongue in cheek:q . I have more room than that but still manage to trip over the dogs. :bump: So where do you have room to swing the cat?:;

joe greiner
28th February 2007, 12:23 AM
Great layout, John. Did you ever work as a grocery store bagger?:D

Joe

jchappo
28th February 2007, 08:33 PM
Great layout, John. Did you ever work as a grocery store bagger?:D

Joe
Funny you should say that Joe;
I used to be a photographer, photographing electrical equipment that was deliverd to the studio in the original boxes.
I became very adept at opening boxes, removing foam packing, and retaining plastic bags without damage ... Never got the hang of getting them back in the box though :damn:

joe greiner
28th February 2007, 11:14 PM
... Never got the hang of getting them back in the box though

Oh yeah. Almost as bad with power tools and their cases. Next time I buy one, I should photograph the innards before first use. Sometimes a nightmare getting the power cord stowed.

Joe