craigb
24th June 2003, 02:49 PM
I saw this book in Borders today.

From a quick skim it looks pretty good.

Anybody have it or care to comment?

Craig

gold leader
24th June 2003, 04:53 PM
at Macquarie Centre??? You might live close to me. I have looked at that book too. Borders is so expensive though, but good selection. If you get it, let me know if its worth it, or vice versa lol. Was looking at the Handplane book myself

Wayne Davy
24th June 2003, 05:39 PM
There is a free online review of this book at
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/artofthebandsaw.htm

John Saxton
24th June 2003, 08:04 PM
The same guy (Mark Duginske)did the "Bandsaw Handbook" ISBN 0-8069-6398-0 . Which is full of all the relevant details on Bandsaws, as you would imagine but how it compares to the book mentioned is any ones guess...there may be some duplication so unless there is outstanding content .....?
Cheers:)

kenmil
24th June 2003, 09:37 PM
I know nothing about bandsaws, so I bought "The Bandsaw Book" by Lonnie Bird, (ISBN 1-56158-289-1) and I must say, it has educated me considerably. I now feel confident in going to look at bandsaws to buy, and not worrying that I will miss something important. He also provides excellent tuning and maintenance info as well.

For what it's worth. Available from Amazon, by the way.

craigb
25th June 2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Wayne, thanks for the review. It confirmed what my impressions were.

I'm an absolute novice when it comes to bandsaws - ( I only set my new Jet up last night ;) so I'm really looking for some guidance on use and capablilities. The last time I used a Bandsaw was in school and that was a loong time ago :)

Gold leader, you're right, Borders is expensive but they do have a pretty good range of woodworking books. I might take a walk down to the Wooodworks Book and tool shop and see if they have it. It's $43 at Borders but still probably money well spent.

Wayne Davy
25th June 2003, 11:05 AM
Craig,

You could also order it online at Aust. Wood Review which have it for $34.95 +Postage ($6.50)
https://secure.ecn.net.au/woodr/bookshelf/

Also Amazon. I am pretty sure Carbatec, Timbecon, Mik and the others would stock it as well.

craigb
25th June 2003, 11:55 AM
Thanks Wayne,

Woodworks have it for that price too, according to their web site. I just need to find out if their city store has it in stock.

I wonder how Borders justify their pricing

:confused:

Craig

craigb
26th June 2003, 04:16 PM
I ended up buying The Bandsaw Handbook by the same author (Duginske). After comparing both, this book is a fair bit more technical than the Art of the Bandsaw, which while still a good book, is more design oriented. Right now, I need to get down to first principles.

(oh, it was also $34.95 btw)

Cheers
Craig

Mick4412
27th June 2003, 05:42 PM
Having followed this post, and having read the suggested links, I got both Mark Duginske books - Art of the Bandsaw & Bandsaw Handbook - thro' a Book Agent friend who owed me a favour. Both retail for $34.95, but as he wanted to give me both for a bit of woodwork I 'd done for him, why not?
Have no doubt that the Bandsaw Handbook is the more valuable for anyone who wants to learn the basics ( and some more complicated features) of the bandsaw, and techniques. If I was buying one book, this is the one I would purchase
mick