PDA

View Full Version : RufflyRustic's Ruminations #1

RufflyRustic
25th February 2007, 07:38 PM
We've had a few posts on Wood Whispering this week, so I'd thought I'd start the first of a semi-regular column by explaining what Wood Whispering truly means to me.

About three to four years ago, just before I went to my first Maleny Woodwork show, I remember reading an article about a gentleman woodworker. The gist of something he said was “…that if you can’t feel what the wood wants to be…”. Unfortunately I can’t remember the rest, but I have never forgotten that what he said made me feel normal and gave me the OK to commune with the wood and let it commune with me.

So here I am, a female woodworking artist who is not afraid to talk with her timber stash. As I have since found out, I am not the only one.http://www.ubeaut.biz/ms.gif You can’t believe how relieved I was to find that others have this similar ability as well. I say ‘similar’ because I believe the experience and realisation is different for each fellow Wood Whisperer.

The wood whispers for some, for others it shouts and for others still, it simply cowers in fear and awe.

WildDingo asked, “..how to get them [the wood] to stop [whispering]? (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=45610)...” I think the question is not ‘how to get them to stop’ but ‘how to get them to work with you’.

Let's see, each timber has different characteristics and voices.
Camphor Laurel can have extreme grain and colours and as such can be extremely loud, augmentative and mouthy.

Yellow Cedar is a true gentleman, beautiful to work with, no splintering or any other sort of nasty carry-on. He's very polite and shines with joy at whatever he becomes.

Silky oak is an age-ed timber and behaves accordingly with its grain something akin to age spots, the older the timber, the bigger the grain spots. The older it gets, the more its true character shows in every way, quirks, faults and niceties, but even for all this, it is a strong and true timber.

Sometimes, the 'wood whispering' takes place over a cup of coffee. I drink the coffee and stare the timber down. When it's suitably cowed [?], then I start work. Sometimes the discussion is long, endless and very tedious with frequent repetitions. Sometimes I get yelled at and sometimes I yell back. There have been many times, when the wood will hide and others, where it will practically fall out of the heap and land at my feet in the rush to be used and transformed into something else.

Every now and then, the world is still and I can hold that piece of timber and simply feel what it could be, what it should be. The picture starts appearing in my head. I may simply see the end result, or only each part as it builds up until the end result appears in my hands, finished and complete.

And that is when I know that I've listened to the wood, interpreted it's mumblings and together, we have made something good.:)

Cheers
RufflyRustic (Wendy)
Head Moderator - Woodworking Women
Super Moderator
Woodworking Australia's
WOODWORK FORUMS

watson
25th February 2007, 09:09 PM
Well spaked ("said "in the past tense)........

Regards Wendy,

Noel

ozwinner
25th February 2007, 09:16 PM
Doesnt the wood whisper to every one?? :?

Now I feel like a freak. :C

I have picked up lumps of fire wood and just before I chuck it onto the fire I hear it tell me it has something inside that I have to release. :o

Al :wink:

Lignum
25th February 2007, 09:21 PM
Wendy have you read any James Krenov books? I bet you would get totaly hooked on them if you did. Talk about the ultimate wood whisperer :D

watson
25th February 2007, 09:45 PM
There's wood and there's wood............red stringy bark in an IXL stove makes great scones......but always burns a cake!
Yellow box in an open fireplace burns your furniture.......and gives you RSI when splitting it.
Red River Gum makes the best coal fire.
So having stored that info after the last 20 years...... I most desire to make a nice box (small) out of black wattle.....including all the grub holes....and the wavy bits.....and a bit of the bark.
When I eventually get it right........look out!
I will have heard the whisper.

(it's after 9PM and I've got to go....otherwise I turn into a perennial poster)
Regards,
Noel

RufflyRustic
28th February 2007, 10:08 AM
Well, I've been hunting around for some Krenov books but no luck at present.

Hmm, krevnov vs Krenov - that could be why :doh:

Sigh, back to searching :)

cheers
Wendy

echnidna
28th February 2007, 12:56 PM
Wendy, try
http://www.alibris.com seem to have most books new & used

aljenit
28th February 2007, 01:24 PM
Well, I've been hunting around for some Krenov books but no luck at present.

Hmm, krevnov vs Krenov - that could be why :doh:

Sigh, back to searching :)

cheers
Wendy

Sometimes they come up on ebay not too badly priced.:U

Big Shed
28th February 2007, 01:51 PM
You mean like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/The-Fine-Art-of-Cabinet-Making-James-Krenov_W0QQitemZ180090402682QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29332QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

rodent
28th February 2007, 09:49 PM
Some times it means putting it down and looking at it later it'll come slowly but shorely it will sink through the grey matter.

RufflyRustic
2nd March 2007, 05:01 PM
Does putting a project or idea 'down' for over a year still count? or does that just make my brain a bit slow in regards to the idea/project :- :rolleyes:

I think I have about 9-12 projects in that 'down' status.....:cool:

watson
2nd March 2007, 05:13 PM
G'day Wendy,
For the last ten years I've kept a computer file of "things to do" in the shed.
It now runs to 10 A4 pages, but every so often one gets scratched off (finished). Some of the more devious projects have been on page one since day one.
I must have one of those "slow brains" too.
Regards,
Noel

AlexS
2nd March 2007, 06:46 PM
Does putting a project or idea 'down' for over a year still count? or does that just make my brain a bit slow in regards to the idea/project :- :rolleyes:

I think I have about 9-12 projects in that 'down' status.....:cool:

Sometimes I get half way through a project and can't decide if I like the way it's going. Put it down come back later with a new idea and finish it off. About 18 months is the record so far.

RufflyRustic
23rd March 2007, 10:31 PM
Wendy have you read any James Krenov books? I bet you would get totaly hooked on them if you did. Talk about the ultimate wood whisperer :D

Well, I took the plunge today and ordered 3 Krenov books thru the Mik sale. As some are currently in transit to Mik, my books should turn up here just about when I have to be patient waiting for the shed slab to season :)

Cheers
Wendy

Lignum
23rd March 2007, 11:33 PM
:D :D :D

Well done. I wonder how long it will take you to read them:? 2 - 3 months per book i reckon :D The trouble with these remarkable books is you read a paragraph and then go of in dreamtime for 15min thinking about what he just said. Mine are chock a block with underlines and circles from the highlighter pens. And i love just opening one at random to re read what i have circled :D :D Wendy you as the forums resident wood whisperer will just love these and i carnt wait for the detailed reviews from you :D compulsory reading for anyone who loves wood :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
24th March 2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks Lignum:B

It will indeed be interesting to see if I read them at my normal cracking pace i.e. 30 - 45 minutes for a book like that :oo: or whether I will need to digest parts in a dreamstate :D:read:

Echnidna - that Alibris site is fantastic - extremely handy for research. :2tsup:

I decided to buy new books as the prices were great and as a bit of a reward for not having a shed for a while.

Ah well, roll on Mid May :)

cheers
Wendy