PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Box Elder Burl Vase

Old Arn
26th February 2007, 05:36 AM
Well this piece started out to be a vase 6 inches taller than what is shown here, now I guess its a bowl. I got the outside all shaped and sanded. It was my biggest piece yet and I was quite please with myself, nice flowing lines and beautiful grain.

I started hollowing out the inside with the tail stock still in place cause I haven't built me a bowl steady rest yet . I was taking it slow and easy, got about 4 inches of it hollowed out when my mind wandered and I caught an edge ... it snapped it in half, I about cried. Its a good thing the girls weren't out in the shop, the words coming out of my mouth were not very nice.

I grabbed the end piece and turned a tenon and got it finished. At first I didn't like the form, it looked so much better before I broke it, but the more I look at it and hold it in my hands and roll it around, the more I like it.

The wood is Box Elder burl ... its 8" tall, 5 1/2" wide and just under an 1/8" thick, my thinnest yet. Finished with BLO and wipe on poly, polished with White Diamond an buffed with carnauba wax.

Comment/critiques always welcome.

The other two pics are a couple more turnings I just finished.
The hollow form is also Box Elder burl and the bowl is curly cotton wood, turned green and allowed to warp.

OGYT
26th February 2007, 03:10 PM
Arn, the vase is the best of saves! Sure looks good... like the inclusion, too.:brava
Like the hollowform and bowl, too. :brava

ss_11000
26th February 2007, 05:00 PM
WOW. top job mate :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2007, 05:47 PM
Another piece that I like very, very much.

I'm not a great one for "classic" forms, I much prefer pieces that show the grain to best effect. Something that form does quite nicely. It may not be the sort of thing the great unwashed public oohs and aahs over, but it is a piece that most turners will appreciate. A bit like "musician's music" or "artist's art." :D

The other two look good, but are pretty much in SWMBO's "Oh? Another bowl? Nice." category... it's the vase I'd like to take home. :wink: (No criticism indended there, BTW. :-)

Caveman
26th February 2007, 06:16 PM
Hi Shane - really good lookin' pieces there - like 'em all - thanks for sharing.

Cliff Rogers
26th February 2007, 06:29 PM
....my mind wandered and I caught an edge ....... the words coming out of my mouth were not very nice.........
Been there done that, good on you for finishing it. :2tsup:
The platter that ran away from my lathe at christmas time is still in hiding. :((
I'll get back to it eventually. :D

Nice looking timber, good save. :clap:

Wayne Blanch
26th February 2007, 08:46 PM
Great work, and great save. Well done :brava

BernieP
26th February 2007, 09:20 PM
G'Day Shane

What a great looking conversation piece, would look great on any posh mantle. Like the others too but thats something else.

Cheers
Bernie

Old Arn
27th February 2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments :U