PDA

View Full Version : Calling all turners aged up to 22 years old.

Joash
26th February 2007, 01:12 PM
The AAW (American Association of Woodturners) is holding an international woodturning competition...the original deadline, was 15th of Feburary, but it has been extended to March 8th....You are allowed to enter 3 pieces......There is a $10 entry fee. There are many really good prizes. The age catergories are:

up to 11 years:
12-14
15-17
18-22

I have entered, and they have asked me to get as many participants as I can.

So...if you're interested, go to the AAW website.....here (http://www.woodturner.org/gallery/TurningToTheFutureApp.doc) is the application form

Here are my Entries:

All of these pieces have been sanded to 2500 grit, and then finished with shellawax cream. EVERY single piece, used in these 3 pieces, were turned when green, including the lid, finial, and base.

"Sunraider"
Sunraider is a very large Marri platter, around 500x50mm, with 2 burnt rims. This one, I was able to finish with a silky smooth finish.

"Galaxy Sphere"
Galaxy sphere, is a large box with a diameter of 300x300mm. It is composed of a Cypress wood finial,and a mallee root burl lid, the main body, is Rippled Jarrah, and has many many interesting features, common to a good ole block of Auzzie Jarrah The rim, has a 7mm burnt rim, that accentes this piece quite nicely.....this in my personal opinion, is best, and is my favourite.

"Lace Sheoak Bowl"
This piece, is a very nice piece of Lace sheoak, that was recovered from the base of a Sheoak tree. This pariclar piece of lace sheoak, was very very tight, and most of it was in a 3-D effect. It is around 250x70mm. It has 2 burnt rims, that always accompanies sheoak very well.

Thanks for looking,

Joash

Twinnie
26th February 2007, 03:52 PM
time to crack out to good blanks i think

Matt

Gra
26th February 2007, 04:05 PM
wheres stirlo??

Gil Jones
26th February 2007, 04:13 PM
Very nice work, Joash.
Luck...

ss_11000
26th February 2007, 04:57 PM
wheres stirlo??
right here:p ...

i've got a nice peice of jarrah to turn ( 320 by 90 ) so if i enter i'll probably use that. although the yellow mallee burl i got would look good to.

cheers

oh btw. great work joash:2tsup: ...long time no talk:p

Joash
26th February 2007, 05:31 PM
Yeeeah! that's what we wanted to hear;)

...long time no talk

well, we're still waiting on the msn addy...

Joash

BernieP
26th February 2007, 09:24 PM
G'day Joash

Lovely work, good luck in comp. don't forget to let us know how you go.

Cheers
Bernie

joe greiner
26th February 2007, 11:58 PM
Joash, they'll have a hard time beating you. Double grooves on the bottom of the platter to match those on the Nice extra touch.:2tsup:

Best of luck.

Joe