PDA

View Full Version : G'Day from a new yank on the boards...

Steven Russell
1st March 2007, 12:56 PM
G' Day to the group,:)

I wanted to introduce myself to everyone as a new member of the forum. My name is Steven Russell and I've been a professional woodturner for eleven years. I've demonstrated extensively in the U.S. (1,764 demos in the last few years), but I have not yet had the pleasure to do a demonstration in Australia. Some of you may remember me from GMC"s Woodturning magazine, where I was a featured author for several years. I've also demonstrated quite a bit for Arbortech PTY back in the day.

My studio, Eurowood Werks (The Woodlands, Texas - USA) turns production bowls primarily, but also lots of platters and hollow forms. In addition, I also have a small gifts line that is usually heavily inlaid with precious metals and gemstones. I'm looking forward to participating in the group and I hope I may be of assistance to the members on occasion. Thanks and all the best to you and yours!

Honorary Bloke
1st March 2007, 12:59 PM
G'day Steven and welcome. I have been at Woodlands to play golf many years ago. I remember it as a lovely place. :)

Rum Pig
1st March 2007, 01:10 PM
G'day Steven :welcomeani:
It sounds like you have a bit of experience to share with us I'm just getting started so you will see some silly questions coming from me:doh: <o></o>

look forward to reading and seeing some of your work
<o></o>Do you still turn just for fun or has that gone now?:)

Cheers Justin:drink2: <o></o>

lubbing5cherubs
1st March 2007, 01:44 PM
welcome love to see here
Toni

hcbph
1st March 2007, 01:59 PM
Steve

From one Yank to another, welcome. You're going to find some incredible ideas here, you'll learn a thing or two (I sure have and I've been turning for over 40 years)

Paul

watson
1st March 2007, 04:09 PM
G'day Steven,
Hope you have as much fun here as the rest of us do!
Regards,
Noel

Cliff Rogers
1st March 2007, 04:46 PM
G'day.

Welcome aboard.

If there are no pics, it didn't happen. :D

:worthless:

Flaco
1st March 2007, 05:01 PM
Steven,
Welcome to the the forum ,
I've read some of your articles when I started turning, they were helpful,
I guess this is an opportunity to thank you in person.

Guy

BernieP
1st March 2007, 05:49 PM
G'Day Steven

Welcome aboard another helpful member never goes astray.

Cheers
Bernie

scooter
1st March 2007, 07:03 PM
Welcome, Steven :)

Cheers.............Sean

Hardenfast
1st March 2007, 07:05 PM
Hi Steve - welcome.

I'm a frequent visitor to the US - 2nd greatest country in the world. I'm looking forward to some pics of your inlay work. This is an area of expertise that I would like learn to learn much more about.
We have some clients in Houston - is that anywhere near Woodlands?

hughie
1st March 2007, 07:27 PM
If there are no pics, it didn't happen. :D

:worthless:

As the man said.......:U :U welcome from down under, we got a couple of Texans on board already

rodent
1st March 2007, 09:58 PM
? Steven welcome aboard the S.S wood chip's. We glue up this place often and Neil makes sure it doesent sink .Ask skew he'll tell you all about the titanic

BobR
1st March 2007, 10:11 PM
Hi Steve and welcome. Look forward to your contributions.

paul collins
1st March 2007, 11:49 PM
hi steve welcome & enjoy your time here.

WillyInBris
2nd March 2007, 02:07 AM
Hi Steve,

Welcome, I haven't been on the forums long but am as addicted to the turning forums as I am to turning itself.

Willy

Steven Russell
2nd March 2007, 10:53 AM
Hello to the group,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Hardenfast: Yes, The Woodlands is about 35 miles north of downtown Houston. I do lots of inlay work with crushed stone, metals, gemstones and precious metals, not to mention many other materials. I really enjoy inlay work as it stretches your creative boundaries and allows the exploration of new mediums.

Flaco: Thanks for the kind words... I'm glad my articles helped you. I have many of my articles posted on my website in the education library, so if you have not stopped by, take a look.

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/education-articles.html

When they are all loaded, I will have about 300 of my educational articles in the library, many will have video clips of important procedures as well. We're in the process of coding and loading the articles and shooting the video sequences now.

Rum Pig: Most of my turning is for profit, probably 99.9% or so, but I still turn for fun on rare occasions. During the production season, I work on a clip of about 18-22 hours per day, :oo: so there is not much time left over for anything else. Such is the life of a production turner. My wife and I plan to retire to Maui, Hawaii in a few years, so maybe then...:)