PDA

View Full Version : Coffee table finish

Mark Woodward
20th February 2000, 11:23 AM
I want to finish a tassy oak ( finally got around to using some ) coffee table. I'll be ( trying to ) stain it a chocolate brown and possibly putting a darker glaze, or grain filler over it to try and match the table and hutch in the room as per the instructions from SWMBO. Whats a good finish? I really like the touch of buffed out oil finishes and that's the appearance I'm after. Not too thick, not too shiny, but with some shine.( I buffed a bit of ironbark with Feast and Watsons fine buffing oil using a buffing pad on my ROS, and it really looks and feels beautiful without being too thick and plastic looking), but are they suitable for a table top? and can I use them over a stain ( probably a water based one). Or are there other varnishes or oil/ varnish combinations I should consider? I'll be buffing it to a satin finish rather than gloss if I do use a varnish to try and mimmick the touchy feely qualities of oil finishes. I know oils aren't as protective but if that just means I have to apply another coat every year or so that's OK.
Thanks again,
Mark