PDA

View Full Version : projects?

lubbing5cherubs
4th March 2007, 12:13 PM
So what projects are we working on at the moment?
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th March 2007, 06:33 PM
Projects? The January pen-swap first, then... :-

RufflyRustic
4th March 2007, 07:32 PM
I'm going to be working on renovating the laundry now that the old hot water system and enclosure was removed this morning. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th March 2007, 07:38 PM
Have you sat down with a bit of graph paper yet, Wendy, and worked out the layout for your new shed? :D

Cabinet Girl
7th March 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm stripping & refinishing 4 old doors for some friends. Not technically difficult, just messy & time consuming. (but fun)

lubbing5cherubs
7th March 2007, 11:00 AM
stripping is messy alright. After we had our fire we had a 4 cupboards come out black and sootie and yuck and stink to high heaven but they came out a real charm except the handles were unsalvageable but that fixable. We are real proud of this piece now. see the bottom link it says Gary got there. He was being a stire when he downloaded the camera. The only thing he did was put his hand print on there. I think perhaps he may of stripped that side too. But I was left the cleaning up of the furniture he went to clean out the house so we could rebuild and move back in.
bye
Toni

RufflyRustic
7th March 2007, 11:50 AM
Very nice refurbishment on the chest of drawers, Toni!!!:2tsup:

Re the Laundry. I've drafted some ideas, but am not up to the graph paper stage yet.

Old doors aye? Any interesting hints and tips you've come across Cabinet Girl?

Cheers
Wendy

Cabinet Girl
7th March 2007, 01:26 PM
Wow - what a big difference, before and after. Very nice!

I took their bathroom door first and tried to do it real quick, because, well, that's a pretty important door for most people :p. I did learn a bit and I think the others will go much faster, so I probably should of saved it till last :rolleyes:. But, oh well, live and learn.

Ok, it's probably not anything new for you guys, but here's how it went. There were many, many layers of paint. I used a store brand gel stripper & put it on thick. The upper layers of latex came off no-problem after 15 minutes with a putty knife and I reapplied. But the older paint was TOUGH! Each application I left on for progressively longer and it took five or six applications. PITA. Next time I'll strip the easy stuff, apply another layer, cover with plastic and leave over night (unless someone here has a better method to recommend?) My friends originally wanted the doors stained, but when I got down to bare wood, there were a bunch of old repairs and patches. And even more needed. So it was definitely a prime & paint job. Sanded, patched, sanded some more. Put 2 big spikes top and bottom to sit on horses & make easy to flip. Two coats of sprayed primer. Two or three coats of sprayed paint. Stayed away from glossy finish because it highlights imperfections. It turned out pretty good, but next time I'll take a closer look before I start so I know what I'll be dealing with. I felt a little bad about having to switch to paint.

Man - sorry to go on and on

RufflyRustic
7th March 2007, 01:34 PM
No - please do go on:) . That's exactly what I was looking for, Thanks! My home has 4 lovely original silky oak doors that need refurbishing (another idea on my very long list :rolleyes: ) and I too was thinking that stripping and shellacing might be an option, but sounds like I'd better be prepared for anything.

cheers
Wendy

Cabinet Girl
7th March 2007, 02:17 PM
Be prepared, but I bet they'll turn out nice. I think the door I did was meant to be painted from the very beginning. Even discounting all the holes (from hooks & towel rods etc) it just wasn't very pretty bare.