PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast 280 - Good buy for a beginner?

I_wanna_Shed
5th March 2007, 09:44 AM
Hello,

I have the opportunity to make an offer for a little used lathe. I gather from the sticker I have seen in the photo that it is a Woodfast 280 (I will attach a pic tonight to confirm, it has a Carbatec sticker on it).

There's not much info on here about the 280. Can anybody say what this lathe is like? I have never done turning and will have some lessons. I would like to turn items such as bowls and furniture legs.

Also, what sort of price would you recommend I offer? I cannot find what these cost new.

Thanks alot for your time and advice. Its much appreciated.

Regards,
Nathan.

macca2
5th March 2007, 10:32 AM
I have a Woodfast 280 S. I find it to be a great mid sized lathe with the following specs.

Swing over bed....................300mm
Between centres..................545mm
Speeds.....................6.....560-3500
Headstock spindle...............M30x3.5
Headstoch taper.......................2MT
Tailstock Taper........................2MT
Tailstock Ram........................60mm
Motor.................................. .5HP
Hole in tailstock......................10mm
Sliding head stock

Price when new in 1999....$695.

I hope this is some help to you.

Macca

I_wanna_Shed
5th March 2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks Macca2,

Those details help me out a bit. Thanks for that!

I'm also now seeing Woodfast 280S and 280L lathes. Attached is a pic of the lathe. Can Macca (or anyone) confirm that this is infact a Woodfast 280, and which model it may be? (It doesn't have its original stand attached).

Thanks,
Nathan.

I_wanna_Shed
5th March 2007, 05:37 PM
Another pic of the model #.

Thanks.

macca2
5th March 2007, 05:37 PM
It is certainly a Woodfast 280.
Whether it is a 280S or 280L depends on the distance between centres.
The 280S is 545mm and the 280L would be longer.
It looks like it might be the longer one.
From what I can see in the pic it does not appear to had much use.
It should come with a faceplate, knockout bar, head stock drive centre and live tailstock centre.
Macca

I_wanna_Shed
5th March 2007, 05:54 PM
Thankyou Macca!

Perfectly helpful info again! The owner has another lathe which he does his turning on, so this one hasn't had much use at all.

Now I just need to convince the Minister for Finance.

Thanks again,
Nathan.

rodent
5th March 2007, 06:26 PM
Thankyou Macca!

Perfectly helpful info again! The owner has another lathe which he does his turning on, so this one hasn't had much use at all.

Now I just need to convince the Minister for Finance.

Thanks again,
Nathan.

Go for it nice lathe to start your self on . I wish I had as good when I started (or now) all the best in your new addiction .Let the chips fly.

DavidG
5th March 2007, 07:04 PM
Lovely little lathe.
Still have mine (280s) but mainly use the Vicmark 300 electronic beast.

Nice machine, little under powered for bowls larger than 300mm
You move the headstock to the very (rh) end of the bed then you can turn over sized bowls.

Used to like it for doing the inside of bowls where the tool rest was on the very end of the bed and you could approach the bowl from its face.

Damn! I am convincing myself to use it again. :doh:

Don Nethercott
6th March 2007, 09:16 PM
Definately is a 280 L. It is a great machine - I have had one for 7 years now.
Woodfast still have spares for them. I managed to burn out the motor recently and got a new one for $120 and it is considerably more powerful than the original.

Ring Woodfast and they will send you a catalog of spares and addons for the 280. The info on their website is not as clear as in the catalogue (just a double sheet of paper).

Good luck and happy turning
Don

I_wanna_Shed
6th March 2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice, its very helpful and very appreciated as always.

I've been dropping subtle hints to SWMBO, but they may need to be a little less subtle.... Actually, who am I kidding.... she knows, she's just teasing :(

I'll let you know how I go!

I_wanna_Shed
8th March 2007, 09:31 PM
Well,

Looks like I will be receiving this lathe :U

The only thing is, it doesn't come with a chuck. So I'll be reading about chucks and their reviews on here for some while I think. I reckon if I was to ask "So, whats a good chuck for a beginner on this lathe", that I may be opening a decent sized can of worms!

Thanks everyone,
Nathan.

ss_11000
8th March 2007, 09:46 PM
good onya...i looked at on the toolies website and they sell em for $800.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2007, 10:11 PM
Congrats! And welcome to the ranks of termitally insane. :)

I reckon if I was to ask "So, whats a good chuck for a beginner on this lathe", that I may be opening a decent sized can of worms!

The answers would boil down to either a Vicmarc or a Teknatool... where the worms start is which model! :rolleyes:

(The SuperNova 2 is the only answer for any turner of taste, BTW. Would I lead you astray? :p)

Cliff Rogers
8th March 2007, 10:36 PM
Go here & look at the G3 for that size lathe.
http://www.teknatool.com/

Also look here....
http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144813

And here...
http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107136782

Don Nethercott
8th March 2007, 10:42 PM
I have always had a Vicmarc VM100 on my 280. Works well. Aussie made. Very good quality. $229 from Carbatec (price reduced end of last year). Careful where you buy one, prices vary considerably.

You can get cheaper Chinese chucks but you get what you pay for.

Regards
Don

I_wanna_Shed
18th June 2007, 09:47 PM
Well,

Looks like I will be receiving this lathe :U

The only thing is, it doesn't come with a chuck. So I'll be reading about chucks and their reviews on here for some while I think. I reckon if I was to ask "So, whats a good chuck for a beginner on this lathe", that I may be opening a decent sized can of worms!

Thanks everyone,
Nathan.

Well after reading, reading, and speaking to others, I bought a SuperNova2 at the show. As mentioned in another thread I am currently building my lathe stand. The process would be a bit quicker if work let me have a hobby! I'm taking pics of the lathe stand build and will put them in my lathe stand thread when done.

I only got the see the bowl turning seminar by Richard Raffan on the weekend, and I must say.... I can feel myself becoming addicted!!!!!!

Cheers,
Nathan.

mick61
18th June 2007, 10:34 PM
G`day I have a 280s have done for about 6 years no worries what so ever.VICMARC CHUCKS ROCK:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th June 2007, 10:36 PM
I only got the see the bowl turning seminar by Richard Raffan on the weekend, and I must say.... I can feel myself becoming addicted!!!!!!

Hook, line and sinker! :hapy:

Now, can I interest you in a pen mandrel? :U

I_wanna_Shed
19th June 2007, 09:48 AM
Hook, line and sinker! :hapy:

Now, can I interest you in a pen mandrel? :U

You most certainly can!! Pen making is also high on my list. The old cast iron fireplace/stove has been hooked up in my shed so there will be lots of late nights turning this winter! :U :U :U