PDA

View Full Version : Accidental oval

DIY DAN
5th March 2007, 09:10 PM
Just turned this bowl today from a Huon Pine blank ( the wet one I mentioned last week). For some reason the lip of the bowl is out of round. You can see this in the photo if you look closely.

Why would this be so. Is it the humidity today, or the fact that the blank was moist. Or did I simply turn it wrongly. I'm really curious to know why this happened. Anyone got any ideas?

DIY DAN

DJ’s Timber
5th March 2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Dan

I would say it's cause the bowl was originally moist, going by the way it's moved

DJ’s Timber
5th March 2007, 09:27 PM
Oh, nice bowl by the way

DavidG
5th March 2007, 09:44 PM
Wet wood will shrink more across the grain than it will along the grain.
Any bowl cut wet will distort.

If cut on the centre line of the grain (Balanced side to side) then an even oval will result.
This is how you get those nice oval shapes bowls.

If you want perfectly circular you cut rough and thick and then leave the bowl to dry out for a year or so before finishing it.

Gil Jones
6th March 2007, 12:16 PM
Looks good to me, Dan!!
The wet wood moves as it drys,
be glad it warped a bit, and not a big ol' crack.

BernieP
6th March 2007, 01:03 PM
G'Day Dan

Nice bowl, pretty wood, shape makes it art.

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2007, 04:53 PM
Green Huon? :oo:

But yeah, that was the problem. I wouldn't worry about it myself, so long as it doesn't start to check. Just make sure that the base is flat and stable (perhaps a quick touch to a linisher) and leave it at that.

If you look closely at any old wooden bowl (or antique round-topped tables, for that matter) you will notice that they're not round either. Yours just went oval a bit more quickly than usual. :wink: Consider it as added character. :)

ss_11000
6th March 2007, 05:57 PM
Green Huon? is most huon dry??? the peice i turned today wasnt:) well, water sprayed at me...at least i think it was water:- :?

nice bowl mate:2tsup:

Tornatus
6th March 2007, 11:56 PM
water sprayed at me...at least i think it was water:- :?

G'day Stirlo

Just be careful, mate - whatever it is in Huon that makes it one of the most well-preserved woods on earth, by definition can't be good for other organisms like us! I love the smell of Huon juice (oil?), but I have been warned not to make a habit of sniffing it too deeply.

Oh, and I agree - bonzer bowl, Dan, and don't worry about the warping, its the kind of effect that master turners like Richard Raffan spend a lot of time and effort trying to induce. Anyhow, a bit of eccentricity makes things far more interesting - just consider some of the regulars on this forum! :clown:

rudyzzz
7th March 2007, 10:47 AM
wish i could turn abowl like that lol

rsser
7th March 2007, 05:54 PM
A lot of timbers will move when hollowed even when you start them dry. Some turners rough turn and then let the piece sit for a day or two to let the changed stresses do their thing.