PDA

View Full Version : My latest work.

TimberNut
7th March 2007, 09:14 AM
I know I promised never to make any more S&P grinders, but SWMBO made a special request for her sisters upcoming wedding. (I made a set for her parents ages ago, which are much-talked-about and in constant use, so the request came for a pair for her sister).
These were made from the same tree that her parents ones came from - kind of a 'keep it in the family' theme....

BlackHeart Sassafrass sanded to 600 then oiled, buffed, EEE and waxed over a 2 month period (with a minimum of 1 week between coats) to get the best finish I could (finishing's not my strong suit).

I decided to take my time applying finishes as 'the boss' wanted an extra special pair for her sister.

I reckon (at least finish-wise and design) they are my best so far.

All comments welcome.

DJ’s Timber
7th March 2007, 09:20 AM
Fantastic job, your S-I-L will love those

TTIT
7th March 2007, 09:29 AM
They look fantastic Timbernut! Finish looks excellent too.:2tsup: Sue me if it was intentional but did you mean to leave the indexed holes off the lower bead on the one on the right???

Speanwoody
7th March 2007, 09:31 AM
I like the design and finish on them, very nice work indeed

Rookie
7th March 2007, 09:32 AM
I reckon that might be the only way, apart from the grain, to tell the difference between salt and pepper. Timbernut?

TimberNut
7th March 2007, 09:45 AM
It's a personal thing, but I HATE labelling them with an "S" or "P" and for some unknown reason, whenever people see one with a row of dots/holes like the left hand one, they assume that must be the pepper.

Anyone who reads my posts will prob notice that form is important to me. I can't stand to see a good job ruined by bad detail, or lack of planning. This design flows nicely, and the timber has beautiful detail already. I didn't want to ruin a classic design with tacky lettering.

The design I made for these was based on chess pawns. (did anyone pick it?)

I still haven't worked out why everyone assumes that's pepper with the holes, and not salt. My best guess is that on your standard s&p shakers the pepper has lots of little holes for the pepper to come out of, and the salt only has one ????

Regardless, yes, that is exactly why they are that way. Definately intentional, the holes are there to designate Pepper.

Rookie - if I had a prize, you'd win... (but I don't, so don't ask :D ), and no, you can't have these as the prize... my wife would kill me. I'm surprised she left them with me to take the photo. She's absolutely tickled with them (so that's good news). But I expect they'll now disappear (before i get some bright ideas to improve them or something)...

oldsoke
7th March 2007, 10:37 AM
This design flows nicely, and the timber has beautiful detail already.

...and beautifully brought to life

ss_11000
7th March 2007, 06:23 PM
nice looking set:clap:. your sister in law should be very happy with them.

Cliff Rogers
7th March 2007, 07:06 PM
Good one (two) :2tsup:

Now are you going to turn the rest of the chess set? :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2007, 07:14 PM
Just as a matter of coinkydink, I've also made a start on a chess set. :D

'Tis far from being finished yet and you need to use your imagination, but... :p

orraloon
7th March 2007, 07:36 PM
Skew,
Nice. Sassafrass is never out of place.
Good finish too.

John

BernieP
7th March 2007, 07:49 PM
G'Day TimberNut

Very nice indeed and like idea of identification.

Cheers
Bernie

Rum Pig
8th March 2007, 12:05 PM
Well done Tibernut they look fabulous and I think your sister in-law will be very happy I'm yet to make a S&P grinder but that dose inspired me to have a go Well Done:2tsup:

Cheers Justin:drink2:

rodent
8th March 2007, 12:10 PM
The begining of a big pile of sawdust at skews place .I think its called the avalanche effect is it not skew .Now what traversed creation it will be who knows, but it will be different.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif :D