PDA

View Full Version : ooooh! This makes you mad!

lubbing5cherubs
7th March 2007, 09:52 AM
Gidday on Monday I finished this box. I was really proud of it but look. :C
Toni

Black Ned
7th March 2007, 10:12 AM
Hi Toni,

Just keep the cracked side facing the wall.

rodent
7th March 2007, 10:30 AM
Gidday on Monday I finished this box. I was really proud of it but look. :C
Toni

Bugger ,well back to the drawing board tony ,it happens a lot with boxes .They crack , go oval , cant get the lid off ,etc . Sorry but they do ,the wood has to be a real stable one for boxes.

oldsoke
7th March 2007, 10:31 AM
Toni...

Any wood i'm going to make boxes from is brought into the house for at least 2 weeks before I use it... if it's going to crack it'll do it before you put all the work into it...

RufflyRustic
7th March 2007, 11:57 AM
Would filling it with brass powder like TTIT does be of any asisstance?:?

cheers
Wendy

ptc
7th March 2007, 12:18 PM
00000! Ah!

TTIT
7th March 2007, 12:31 PM
Bugga! Too bad Toni. I don't know anything about Southern Mahogany but for a crack that size I would guess it's way too green to use for boxes. Turn the box and lid oversize for the next one, pack it somewhere cool in the shavings and let it dry for a few weeks before you try finishing it. Main thing is to slow down the drying in our climate - maybe a cool spot under the house if you're off the ground!?!?

rsser
7th March 2007, 05:50 PM
Could've been the heat from turning and sanding.

Was it 'dry' to begin with? If so, try wet sanding next time.

lubbing5cherubs
7th March 2007, 06:14 PM
I think it was dry but our weather went from scorching yesterday to wet. I forgot to bring it up stairs into the air conditioning. This is the first I have had crack
Toni

hughie
7th March 2007, 08:57 PM
Toni,
Don't feel too bad I had to go over to NZ for wedding. So took the opportunity to bring a large blank back 13''x 5'' dried KeoKeo. Popped it on the shelf in a cool draught free spot carefully picked out for it.

Checked about week later and all its good for is toothpick holders :~ split real bad in 3 places.

Forgot that the humidity in NZ is way higher than here.It had been on the rack for over ten years in NZ, well dry....I thought........:C :C

BernieP
7th March 2007, 09:47 PM
G'Day Toni

What a shame was looking good too!

Cheers
Bernie

joe greiner
7th March 2007, 11:32 PM
Would filling it with brass powder like TTIT does be of any asisstance?:?

cheers
Wendy

Yep. Fill 'er up, Toni. Call it a design feature. Give it a little more time to acclimatise, though.

Joe

WillyInBris
8th March 2007, 01:49 AM
Bad luck Toni.

My hart sank when I saw you post, didn't want to open the thread as I had a bad feeling that it was the box you had just made :-
Just tell people it took hours to get it to crack in th right place

Willy

lubbing5cherubs
8th March 2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys but I make another one. Hope the next one will be better
Toni

Rum Pig
8th March 2007, 11:51 AM
Bad luck Toni but these things happen and on the bright side it give you the perfect excuse to turn another one:rolleyes: Good luck with your next one I think it will be even better:D

Cheers Justin:drink2: