PDA

View Full Version : g'day all

Mitchy G
7th March 2007, 10:53 PM
hey everybody. im new to this forum and im hoping it will help me in my wood working escapades. i am doing year 11 this year in geelong and i am making a drum in woodwork. i am going to make it in a stave style. i am unsure on what woods would be good to use on a lathe for when i turn it up. i am thinking of using brazilian walnut or something else in the 2 to 3k mark on the janka scale. does this generally mean it will be harder to turn on a lathe?. also. i am wondering where i can order these woods from in melbourne so i can get an idea some prices. i rang AFT timbers today but i want to get an idea of what everyone is selling for.thanks all.

Mitch.:U

Doughboy
7th March 2007, 10:58 PM
Mitch

Welcome to the forum mate. Good to see another young'n getting dusty. As for your question I cannot help you, but I am sure that someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with the drum.

Pete

Mitchy G
7th March 2007, 11:10 PM
thanks for the welcome and your confidance mate. i'll be sure to keep you all posted on the progress of the drum. it should end up looking awesome. heres what im planning on the final productt looking like.

Cliff Rogers
7th March 2007, 11:17 PM
G'day.

If you are planning on turning it in a lathe, ask your question in the woodturning forum.

That style of work is called Segmented Turning.
We have a few turners on here who do that sort of stuff.

I can't help you with the supply of the timber, somebody from Melbourne will have to help you.

Good luck with it, hope it comes out as good as the pictures. :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
7th March 2007, 11:19 PM
Maybe one of the Mods can move this to the Woodturning section.

Clinton1
8th March 2007, 12:30 AM
G'day Mitch and welcome....
I'm sure someone will offer a few tips, you've come to the right place.

Geelong, hey?

CAAARRRRRNNN The

PIES! :D

AlexS
8th March 2007, 12:05 PM
Welcome Mitch,
I like the idea of your drum coopered up from staves. If you do a search on these forums, there's a spreadsheet to help you calculate the angles & size of the staves.

If you cooper it, you don't need to turn it smooth. You can plane it to round and when finished with a scraper and sanded you won't know the difference. Likewise, the inside can be smoothed with a curved scraper and sanded.
Whichever way you go, it should be good.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2007, 03:49 PM
Harder Janka doesn't necessarily mean harder to turn on the lathe. Higher silica content does, though... not so much harder to turn but it bluntens tools quicker and means sharpening more often.

As for timber sources... have you given any thought to overall sizing and how many segments? 'Cos if the minimum dimension of your staves is <18mm it may be worth your time to look at timber decking suppliers. Quite a range of timbers at significantly cheaper cost than the more usual turning blank sizes.

And I'm still stunned at what some people use for decking... Purpleheart!? :oo: Now, really... :no:

martrix
8th March 2007, 03:54 PM
And I'm still stunned at what some people use for decking... Purpleheart!? :oo: Now, really... :no:
I read about how you scored Purpleheart from a hardware store once upon a time, nice score!:2tsup:

In parts of Sth America, they use Purpleheart like we use pine. Doors, window frames etc.:oo: They usually end up painting them too.:o

..................................hijack over.:-

Mitchy G
8th March 2007, 08:48 PM
Welcome Mitch,
I like the idea of your drum coopered up from staves. If you do a search on these forums, there's a spreadsheet to help you calculate the angles & size of the staves.

If you cooper it, you don't need to turn it smooth. You can plane it to round and when finished with a scraper and sanded you won't know the difference. Likewise, the inside can be smoothed with a curved scraper and sanded.
Whichever way you go, it should be good.

thanks for the help. iv already got the angles and sizes of the staves worked out. im kinda a geek. haha nah its prety simple to work out. Can you please explain or link me to a site that explains what coopering is?. Also, the sizes of the wood is roughly, if i am using 2 woods. 600x250x50 (LxWxT) or for one wood it will be 1200x250x50

AlexS
8th March 2007, 09:37 PM
What you are planning on doing is called coopering - putting a slight angle on the edge of each piece, then gluing the edges together to form a curve or circle. Once you've done that, you can either turn them or plane the corners off.
I don't know of a web site, but I'll see if I can post some notes on coopering.

Harry72
8th March 2007, 10:26 PM
Coopering in layman's terms... think wine barrel

joe greiner
8th March 2007, 11:22 PM
Coopering in layman's terms... think wine barrel

Any kind of built-up barrel, actually.

Joe

Scally
9th March 2007, 12:12 PM
Mitchy

The drum on the right looks like African Bubinga. It is a very hard, dense timber that looks spectacular.

Australian River Red Gum has a good figure that would look similar.

Suppliers of cabinet timbers in Melbourne would surely have some available.

In the pictures the drums look to have parallel sides. That would be tricky enough. Especially gluing it all together.

A wine barrell is much more complicated because each board gets narrower towards the ends as well as being bevelled. I thought this was called coopering.

I would test my angles and cutting on some cheaper timber first? Sometihing soft like radiata pine.

It looks like the Victorians don't want to share their timber suppliers. You might have to check through the other headings.

I look forward to hearing of your progress.

RETIRED
28th March 2007, 08:26 AM
Just bringing this one up the list.