PDA

View Full Version : Leigh FMT or morticing machine?

journeyman Mick
30th June 2003, 11:27 PM
Has anybody got/used the Leigh FMT jig for making mortice and tenon joints? The blurb in the carbatec catalogue looks ok so I'm going to request a brochure and a price. I was originally looking at buying a morticing machine and cutting the tenons on the router table, however this looks like it might be more accurate & productive. I've only ever used a Jet morticing attachment for a drill press and I can't say I was overly impressed. I tried to jig it all up to remove play and innacuracy but it wasn't a success. I suppose a dedicated morticing machine with a proper cross feed vice might deliver the required accuracy, but I still need to make the tenons and ensure their accuracy. Any feedback appreciated.

Mick

kenmil
1st July 2003, 10:44 AM
I can only comment on a dedicated mortiser. I have a Delta, and although I fitted a cross-feed vice to it for a while, I have since removed it and replaced it with a Rockler fence, which does the job nicely. I have no issues with accuracy at all.

Of course, mortising is all it can do, but it does that very well.

Dean
1st July 2003, 11:26 AM
Of course, mortising is all it can do, but it does that very well.

They can also be used as a single speed drill press if you're desperate :)
Well at least the model I got can. It came with an extra drill chuck for that purpose.

kenmil
1st July 2003, 11:39 AM
Dean,

I didn't get an extra chuck with mine, but I guess you could do what you suggest.

Dan
1st July 2003, 12:06 PM
You could mortice both pieces (router, drill press or mortising machine) and use a loose tenon.

DPB
1st July 2003, 12:26 PM
Mik International http://www.mik.com.au sells the Trend routing technology mortise and tenon jig. The cost for the jig router bits and universal router plate (to accept the Trend template guides) is about $770.

I recently purchased this jig and am still at the practice stage. However, I can comment that it is very well made and easy to set up and use. It seems to do everything the Leigh FMT does and costs considerably less.:D

kenmil
1st July 2003, 02:03 PM
But you can buy a dedicated mortising machine for half that :confused:

Dean
1st July 2003, 02:19 PM
The Trend can cut both mortise and tenon pieces though :)

kenmil
1st July 2003, 03:37 PM
Point taken, but tenons are easy to cut either by hand, band saw or table saw (with caution).;)

Dan
1st July 2003, 03:53 PM
Trend have their own magazine called "IN Profile", don't know if it is available in aust as the copy I have came from the UK. In their spring 2002 issue they show the m/t jig selling for 149 pounds with a 5 piece long reach cutter set for 39.95 pounds. I'd almost look at buying one if those figures were A$. :D

journeyman Mick
1st July 2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, I haven't got a price on the FMT yet but I am looking at it from a small run production point of view. If the FMT makes me more productive and ensures repeatable accuracy for both parts of the joint then the extra outlay is justifiable. Woodchuck, I had a look at the MIK website but I can't find the trend jig, whereabouts is it please. Also is there provision for adjusting the fit of the joint simply as the on the FMT?

Thanks, Mick.

mikmaz1
1st July 2003, 11:35 PM
mick
if youre looking at the fmt for only a small amout of work then you might want to think again , im pretty sure the jig costs over $1200
you can stand back up now!
seeyasoon mik.

journeyman Mick
1st July 2003, 11:47 PM
I found the Trend jig on MIK's site, also the price for the FMT- $1800+! Both are limited in timber size they will accept without repositioning and repositioning will throw all that accuracy out the door. For less money I can buy a morticing machine and a new router table, Carba tec have a cast iron one with a sliding tenoning attachment that looks interesting. Anyway I'll have to finish building this workshop and then go and make some money to buy all these bits and pieces.

Mick

John Saxton
2nd July 2003, 09:34 PM
G,day Mick,just chuckin' me 2c worth in but another option and concerning the Leigh is the jig and the M2 attachment.

Investigate on the home site @ www.leighjigs.com

Capable of multiple Morse and Tenon from 5/16" x 5/8 to 1 1/2"x2 1/2".the same can produce a variation of finger joints from 5/8" wide and up ,in timber up to 1 1/8" thick.

Using spiral up cutters and guide bush a clean cut is evident.
Easy for variable spacing or an oblique design, whatever suits your design perspective.

Cost .....Leigh about $750
MM2 about $350...negotiate a package ...most will deal or talk to michael @ Mik International ,the importers for Leigh in OZ.

HTH
Cheers:)