PDA

View Full Version : wrenchless collet for router

Arthur Alchin
1st July 2003, 09:32 AM
I have a Skil 1400w plunge router with 1/4inch (6mm) bit that was minufactured in the USA in the last 3-4years.

I have a continuous problem with a sticky collet that refuses to release the bit and i have had to destroy one Vermont American Dovetail bit to bet it out.

I have seen a note on an american site this morning that "Jacobs Chuck" have made a wrenchless collet that is only ayailable as an aftermarket product. Is this new news or can anybody enlighten me on this bits availability?

Thankyou all and cheers

Arthur Alchin

John Saxton
1st July 2003, 08:49 PM
Hi Arthur,these wrenchless colletts have been on the market for a little while now but I haven't seen them here or have heard of anyone in Oz using them.
Coupla mentions tho on the Yank BB's that give them a reasonable rap.

Now I'm not about to tell you how to suck eggs Arthur, but have you checked that router bit for minute burrs on the shaft caused generally by tightening a little too much and causing the collett to bite into the shaft, a bit of emery cloth/wet/dryshould tidy up the shaft.Also check the collett for damage there which may need replacing or trueing up.I have had to do it myself.

Cheers:)

lewc
7th July 2003, 11:49 PM
Hello Arthur, I've only ever heard of one wrenchless collet for a router. It was made by Jacobs. I once saw it demonstrated on a Woodrat demo video. There was a notice posted on the Woodrat website recently, saying that Jacobs had withdrawn the product from sale.

Have a look at Woodrat (http://www.woodrat.com)

good luck!

Lew

soundman
10th July 2003, 09:54 PM
I would sugest sorting the problem at source.

Be sure you are not overtightening?
Many people overtighten collets.

Make sure everthing is bright & shiny, Very regularly.

use a very slight smear of oil.

Remember collets do sometimes need replacing.

jacko
11th July 2003, 08:16 PM
The very best solution I have ever seen is the "Eliminator RC" Designed specifically for Porter Cable routers, this is a wonderful aftermarket add on. Made by a one man shop in the US, no apparent wish to expand to other (non US?) routers. 5 to 10 seconds and uses a hex wrench. For users who swap bits often it makes a swap to a P C router very attractive.
jacko