PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning courses in Ipswich/Brisbane?

mobrien
10th March 2007, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone,

After much searching I have finally purchased a lathe - a nice cast woodfast with a bunch of tools and stuff from a retiring cabinet maker in Tassy. Should be here sometime over the next 4 weeks. Can't wait!

My last turning experiences were 10-15 years ago, back when I really wasn't good at taking advice or learning skills properly. However I would like to think I am a bit more mature now!

So I'm looking for a woodturnign course, either in Brisbane, Ipswich or somewhere in between. I want a good course that will teach me good skills - not an intro or "heres a lathe go for it" type course. Evening course is a must, as I work during the days...

Any suggestions of where to start?

Thansk!

Matt

WillyInBris
10th March 2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Mobrien.
I go to Queensland Woodturning society at greenslopes, The guy that teaches is rob he is very thorough and supplies the tools and the society at greenslopes has many lathes to use and its all good stuff.

He teaches the correct techniques and different ways of doing things without all the headaches of trying to learn by yourself.

You can also take your own chisels, but I am only allowed to buy one a fortnight so I use some of mine and some of his, If you don't have chisels yet wait to speak to him he has a bit of a preferred list and will explain the difference's with them some are sorby some P&N and Hamlett, he has picked the eyes out for what he says works best.

I go to the Sunday morning lessons they are a laid back bunch and we have fun then I come home and do some more.

He also does courses at night through the week as well as Saturdays as well.

I have spent the first 4 weeks on spindles learning the tools, I make a mallet next week all going well then onto bowls after that.:2tsup:

I will pm you his email address.

Willy

WillyInBris
10th March 2007, 05:53 PM
Link to Woodturners society of queensland website.http://www.woodturnerssocietyofqld.com/

Simomatra
11th March 2007, 10:15 AM
G'day Mat

There is a club in Ipswich follow the link

http://www.freewebs.com/delbird/

I have been learning there on Saturday afternoon. Nice friendly bunch

They have all sorts of woodworking happening not just turning

mobrien
17th March 2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I will look into both, although the ipswich group is appealing - I just found they are about 1km from where I live!

Thanks again!

Matt

tashammer
18th March 2007, 06:43 AM
Matt
if you don't mind me asking, how much is the freight from Tas to Bris?

Tom