PDA

View Full Version : big bolws from small bits of wood

Twinnie
10th March 2007, 12:09 PM
and the result is a bowl that doesn't fit, thats what my last 24hours turning has been

both peices are made from storm felled timber so one is an unknown eucalipt and the other is an unknown oak. the oak platter has a center point higher then the sides so it rests on 4 feet at the corners.

these are also the first 2 off the new nova 16-24 (that you know of any way)

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
10th March 2007, 01:24 PM
:2tsup: Good to see you are finally got some work coming off her besides heartache
bye
Toni

ss_11000
10th March 2007, 02:02 PM
nice work, although i'm not sure i like em, they're interesting though...good to see ya lathe is working again:)

benji79
10th March 2007, 05:12 PM
I really like them. Something different.

Problem is my wife just seen them and I got "why dont you make me stuff like that" :doh:

Oh well looks like im going to the shed.

Benji

WillyInBris
10th March 2007, 05:47 PM
They look good :2tsup:

Not real keen on angular's but you have done well I like the second one the most.

Benji, i just tell the wife i need another couple of chisels :-)

Willy

Twinnie
10th March 2007, 05:52 PM
I really like them. Something different.

Problem is my wife just seen them and I got "why dont you make me stuff like that" :doh:

Oh well looks like im going to the shed.

Benji

oh well, just don't hurt your self all those strange shapes spinning are realy nasty. i managed to do these two with out so much as a bump but you have to bee so careful.

the oak platter is so thin and light that when i caught on the buffing wheel it glided across the workshop and landed safely!

good luck with it.

ss. what is it about them your not sure about? apart from a lack of sanding (i had to hand sand them). it's good to get some feed back.

toni. yep she is up and running but i didn't get a shot with saw dust this time, that will have to wait.

Matt

BernieP
10th March 2007, 07:36 PM
G'Day Twinnie

Good to see new Lathe up and running. Like the first one not sure about the second one hard to tell from photo, perhaps if photo taken from above it with something resting inside it to show proportions? Just my opinion for what its worth.

Cheers
Bernie

Twinnie
10th March 2007, 09:41 PM
G'Day Twinnie

Good to see new Lathe up and running. Like the first one not sure about the second one hard to tell from photo, perhaps if photo taken from above it with something resting inside it to show proportions? Just my opinion for what its worth.

Cheers
Bernie

good point, my object photography skills are not that good. i'll have to see what others have done, and consider my lighting more. those photos just don't show the form well enough.

Matt

ss_11000
11th March 2007, 04:27 PM
ss. what is it about them your not sure about? apart from a lack of sanding (i had to hand sand them). it's good to get some feed back.

Matt
i dont know, theyre interesting and all:2tsup: , but they just dont appeal to me i guess.:-

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th March 2007, 06:22 PM
I like the first form, but the second one looks to me to be... incomplete.

Probably because I turn similar forms, although slightly taller, and cut a round hole in the middle to act as a base for round-bottomed bowls. :D