PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus Burl bowl

BrettC
10th March 2007, 02:22 PM
Hi all,
Continuing to learn how to turn bowls, had a Eucalyptus burl sitting in the shed for around 12 months and was going to save it until my skills got better but decided 'bugger it' today and had a go at it.

Can't say I'm all that happy with the rim but happy enuff not to bother rechucking it (maybe another day).

Wet sanded to 1200 followed by EEE and Shellwax glow.

Cheers.

WillyInBris
10th March 2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Brett,

Thats one beautiful Burl bowl, leave it as is.
I find when I try to perfect things I end up braking them....

BernieP
10th March 2007, 07:43 PM
G'Day Brett

You sure done well, love it, one nice hunk of wood what size is it?

Cheers
Bernie

Evan Pavlidis
11th March 2007, 04:48 AM
Hi all,
Continuing to learn how to turn bowls, had a Eucalyptus burl sitting in the shed for around 12 months and was going to save it until my skills got better but decided 'bugger it' today and had a go at it.

Can't say I'm all that happy with the rim but happy enuff not to bother rechucking it (maybe another day).

Wet sanded to 1200 followed by EEE and Shellwax glow.

Cheers.

Don't touch the rim mate :no: ...it's perfect. You don't want to trim off the upper profile because the whole design will look too stubby and flat. The slight in curve at the top adds to it.

P.S. You don't always get it right the first time..or the second or the third..etc. etc. That's why turners keep trying and require surgery to be removed from the workshop:D . Enjoy the journey :2tsup:

Cheers, Evan

rsser
11th March 2007, 07:11 AM
If you're not happy with the rim now every time you look at the piece you'll feel the same and eventually it'll get relegated to a box or cupboard.

ptc
11th March 2007, 12:01 PM
Brettc
it would look great at my place !

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th March 2007, 06:10 PM
I agree with rsser...

Personally, I like the rim treatment but am not too sure about the outside curve of the bowl... it looks a tad "chunky" to me, probably because it looks like the walls are the same thickness as the rim. Also, it could be an optical illusion caused by the intersection of shelf and wall, but it seems to me as though your curve isn't smooth and flowing, that it has an almost angular bump in the middle? Maybe I need new glasses? :rolleyes:

I'd be more inclined to rework that outer curve, leaving the rim alone but undercutting it a tad to give it a slight flare and make it obvious to the eye that the walls aren't as thick as the rim.

Don't take this as a critcism, BTW... I've been told I have the artistic ability of road-kill. :-

BrettC
11th March 2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for comments.

Bernie - Dimensions are roughly D 170 H 70.
Skew - Wow you have a good eye, after reading your post I rushed out to the hall and double checked - while it looked fine off the lathe I now think you might be right it wasn't noticable to me though until you pointed it out - know how to burst my bubble 'eh :pop: - seriously no offence taken - learning is what it's about, I might rechuck it and have another go when I get some free time.

Cheers,
:let:

reeves
11th March 2007, 11:21 PM
yeah, it helps to get burls right first time as they can be gnarly to return.
In terms of looks yr feeling about the rim are correct, in the inward bevel doesnt look right and something more solid and defined probably would.

The form of the bowl is not too bad but a little stronger definition on the curve and a full width rim with maybe a ridge to highlight it would look better.

Sometimes just a straight, strong rim does the job fine, often no point in fiddling iwth it too much.

Bowls are weird to turn, they will work as a bowl, as in hold things pretty no matter what u do with it. For look and form and balance they need to be symetrically 'correct'.

Seems theres no such thing as a perfect bowl as many turners discover. Some modest rim treatments can enhance the look, there are many ways of achieving this, having a thinner rim bevel the way u have is probably not one of them.

I'd suggets trying it with a straight rim, just get the angles right...

have fun

cheeeeeers
john

BrettC
12th March 2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for advice.

I'm thinking now that I will rechuck it and have another go - just have to finish a wardrobe project first. My only worry is rechucking it and having it all end in tears:doh: . But as others say it will probably play on me too much to leave it as is now.

Cheers,
:let:

rsser
12th March 2007, 07:42 PM
Way to go!

Double or nothing ;-}

ciscokid
12th March 2007, 09:42 PM
I think it's fantastic. Beautiful figuring. And the table it's sitting on is nice too. Did you make that?