PDA

View Full Version : Plan for a lectern

Alan G
1st July 2003, 10:27 PM
I am looking for plans for a lectern. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
4th July 2003, 07:06 AM
[Alan
I don't have a plan but here are 2 pics of a desktop lectern that I built for the local art center. It was done in cherry and the color will be darker & redder now. It was dove tail construction and the outline of a rose was carved on the front.
We were supposed to be converted to metric 25 years ago but woodworking is still done in inches( we are influenced by our neighbor to the south ) . the measurements are length 18", width 18", height at front15", height at back 7"http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/lectern.jpg
There is aledge on the top to keep things from slipping off.
If you need more info let me know
paulhttp://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/lectern2.jpg

Alan G
5th July 2003, 08:43 AM
Dear Paul,

Thanks for your response. I am aimimg to build a pedestal type. What you show does give me some idea about dimensions etc. I find I work in both imperial and metric - though mostly metric these days!

Thanks for your help.

Alan G

robert ruger
13th February 2005, 03:49 AM
Thread....I too am looking to build a lectern for my church. I'm having a rough time finding a selection. Any luck? After looking at the dates your need was requested I'm afraid to ask. That was two years ago. I'm planning on on building this this year, month.

robert ruger
13th February 2005, 03:54 AM
Thread....I too am looking to build a lectern for my church. I'm having a rough time finding a selection. Any luck? After looking at the dates your need was requested I'm afraid to ask. That was two years ago. I'm planning on on building this this year, month. Sorry, no quote.

Thom
13th February 2005, 10:05 AM
Robert, try this site for some idea's on what type of lectern/pulpit you would like to build. There are severel ideas. If you need help putting your ideas to plan form just let me know. I have several years of CAD experience and just plain like to help people.
Thom
http://www.heavenlywood.com/pulpits.htm

soundman
14th February 2005, 06:37 PM
I have been planning to design a lecturn for quite some time bnecause many of the units that I encounter in my work are shockers. :eek:
Most found in traditional churches are far too high, many have too little top area or are tooo steeply angled.

Your needs will differ depending on what it will be used for.

If it is the be "spoken from" & used to hold notes & bits & pieces the top shold be wide enough to open a foolscap binder I deep enough for the same to clear any microphones or lights mounted there.
The front should be about belt height & should slope at right angles to a line drawn between the eye and the centre of the surface.
If it is to be read from (cahtolic/anglican/lutheran?) the surface should be much higher about the height of the bottom of the breast bone.

The lecturn surface should be solid & not resonant (preferably fabric covered)
The top should not drum when thumped (unless desired for a paulpit pounding effect)

Resist the temtation to build pelmets or shrouds that enclose the top in any way. These make resonant cavities that cause terible problems with microphones.

The lectrumette is the industry standard for the corporate industry and is a good guide.

Very strong joinery is a must.
Adjustable height is a good idea but hard to achieve with strength & stability.
Tilt mechanisms usualy fail.

I could rave on for ages about lecturn desig but you get the idea.

I promise I will publish a design ...... one day.

cheers

Oh a box for short people (like Jony Howary & Joan Sheldon ) to stand on is a very usefull accessory. :D

Kobby
30th January 2008, 11:28 PM
I stumbled across this thread having an interest in lecterns myself. Thought I would drop a link (all be it a shameless plug) of some examples of multimedia style lecterns.

www.bluegumjoinery.com.au (http://www.bluegumjoinery.com.au)

Cheers

Andy Mac
31st January 2008, 09:45 AM
Here's a pic of one (of two) I made a few years back for a chapel, from laser cut and folded stainless steel. Not much of interest for the woodies out there, except the top which you can't see is black bean veneer!
The only thing I can say about design is I allowed room for ducting cables for lighting and audio visual; the top tilts; and the whole top is adjustable up and down using a lockable gas strut, about 300mm stroke. There is so much variation in 'standard' heights as to make adjustment a neccessity!:rolleyes: (And this one was to suit kids as well.)
For info like that I trawled through heaps of websites looking at specs, especially US ones, as church fitting is a big business there with all the born again and fundamentalist action. I have a feeling a lot of US preachers are mountains of men, or they want an impressive lecturn!!:D

Cheers,

soundman
31st January 2008, 10:14 AM
Dont get me started about preachers and their lecturns/ pulpits.

Apart from being a statement of status, taste or fashon....you can also get caught up in deep theological debates:doh:

Come on chaps its is a piece of furniture to hold up your books.:no:....... nobody is going to hell because of a book stand:~
You get my drift.:roll:

OMG... there are some hideous ones out there.

Just think about it somtimes....... what does the lecturn say about who is behind it.

Check out the white house lecturns........big, boxy and enclosed.....the only way to make a stronger statement would be to make them out of brick.

cheers

artme
31st January 2008, 05:38 PM
Try plans from Neil Scobie. Do web search.

AV Elec
31st January 2008, 07:54 PM
http://www.gilkon.com.au/productsview.asp?catID=4&catName=Lectrum%20Lecterns

This place makes a lot of lecturns, but they are out of steel, ally.

It might give you a few ideas?