PDA

View Full Version : Combination Thicknesser / Moulder

Darwin
2nd July 2003, 10:54 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with the CarbaTec or Timbecon/Sherwwod combination Thicknesser/Moulder? Both have the catalogue number of CT-236.

Broadly, I'm interested to know:

Is the moulding function any good? I would assume the mouldings made could be a lot 'bigger' than with a router (on one pass anyway). and wide pieces wouldn't be a problem as the wood is supported horizontally, not vertically.

Is the thicknessing function comparable to other machines of the same cost/power?

Are more blades available than the set of 9 in the box advertised, and/or would it be possible (or wise) to make customised ones?

we are looking at moving into a house and renovating, so I figured the added moulding function would be good for customised skirting/architraves, etc.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Regards,

Darren

journeyman Mick
2nd July 2003, 10:45 PM
Can't help you with the other questions, but it should be possible to make different profile knives, I have done so for a spindle moulder. It is a fair bit of mucking around though because (at least in a spindle moulder) the knives are at an angle when they cut the timber. This means that if you simply draw the profile you want on the edge of the knife blank and grind it as drawn the resulting timber profile will be different. You have to draw your profile and then use the angle of the knife to develop the drawing and get the knife profile from that. If you are serious about purchasing the machine talk to the suppliers adnsee if more profiles are available, if not then I am sure you can get a toolmaker to do some up for you. There is a saw sharpening service in West Burleigh (Gold Coast) that is owned by a family of toolmakers, they make custom router bits and spindle moulding heads (they make all the toungue & groove moulder heads for Boral timbers) and I'm sure they can help you if you have no luck elsewhere.

Mick