PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Bowl?

Old Arn
12th March 2007, 04:14 PM
I hate it, my wife loves it... go figure!

Thought I would post it and see what you all thought.

Box Elder burl. 13" wide, 8" tall and 1/4"+ thick ... I left it a little thick so more of the burl spears would be left along the edge. Sanded to 1200 grit, soaked with BLO, polished with White Diamond and buffed with carnauba wax.

The wood pretty much chose the shape for me. The center of the wood was very rotten, especially towards the bottom, and way to soft to turn, even after soaking in thin CA. I almost threw it in the wood burning stove but figured there had to be some beautiful grain in all that burl. I wanted to turn a hollow form out of it but there was no way it would of held together. This was pretty much the only shape I could go with and still have good wood to turn.

Comments/critiues always welcome.
Shane

lubbing5cherubs
12th March 2007, 04:22 PM
I do like it but I think your knuckles might dissagree:D
Toni

ptc
12th March 2007, 04:30 PM
Don't argue with the wife.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th March 2007, 04:32 PM
Looking at any one small area of it, lovely stuff... but overall it doesn't quite gel for me, either.

Guess it's true: men are from mars, women from some weird place. :innocent:

Rum Pig
12th March 2007, 04:34 PM
I like the look of the timber but I do not know about the shape it might look good in the right setting

It is a real pity you could not get that hollow form out with that grain I think it would been sensational :rolleyes:

Cheers Justin:drink2:

DavidG
12th March 2007, 04:41 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me it needs lifting on some sort of base. (Contrasting??)

Spaski
12th March 2007, 04:53 PM
Interesting. I had a bowl similar some years ago carved out of an old piece of spotted gum. Could'nt find a use for it but couldn't bring myself to ditch it either. Might fetch an tidy price on the open art market ?

Cheers.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th March 2007, 05:22 PM
I've been thinking about the "adding a base" idea but somehow I just can't see it improving things.

However... making a form of contrasting wood to fit inside it, perhaps something rounded inwards, to give the effect of a half peeled fruit or a kernel in the shell?

WillyInBris
12th March 2007, 05:23 PM
I like unusual things and thus like this as well, I would say a very arty piece indeed.

Your wife has the eye I think.

Cliff Rogers
12th March 2007, 05:23 PM
Don't argue with the wife.
Good advice, you'll live longer. :wink:

Good on ya Shane for finishing it anyway... it's not my cup of tea but I can see all the work you put into it. :2tsup:

JackoH
12th March 2007, 05:40 PM
I think your wife has a better "eye" than you do!
It is the sort of piece that wins prizes in exhibitions.

fred.n
12th March 2007, 05:58 PM
I like it cause it's 'different'
Thanks for sharing

BernieP
12th March 2007, 06:13 PM
G'Day Shane

Just to turn something like that makes it special!

Cheers
Bernie

Kev Y.
12th March 2007, 07:44 PM
I dont see what your problem is!!, The grain is wonderful, and the shape is good..

what more could you ask for?:2tsup:

benji79
12th March 2007, 07:51 PM
I think its great. I'd be more then happy with it and so would the wife.

dai sensei
12th March 2007, 09:11 PM
The grain is wonderful, and the shape is good..

What he says :2tsup:

..making a form of contrasting wood to fit inside it..

I was thinking of something similar, but the contrasting timber to form a vase, so the burl becomes the base

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th March 2007, 09:38 PM
I was thinking of something similar, but the contrasting timber to form a vase, so the burl becomes the base

That was my first thought too, but then my imagination carried me away... :rolleyes:

joe greiner
12th March 2007, 10:12 PM
Lessee, now. It's "ugly" and your wife loves it; your wife loves you, ergo ...:rolleyes:

Actually, I think it's an interesting contrast with the "ugly" rim and the more orderly bowl itself. And the grain pattern helps to carry the day. Can't quite see your treatment of the bottom. If it has a slight lift, say about a mm or two support ring, it'd be just about right.

Joe

watson
12th March 2007, 10:20 PM
I'd go with Joe........so you must be "bone ugly"
But agree its a very interesting "arty fart"......leave it alone....that's what came out of the wood.........but it would be interesting sitting on a contrasting base.
Geez.... That made no sense at all.....g'night all
Regards,
Noel

orraloon
13th March 2007, 02:05 PM
RN,
If the wife likes it what more is there to say. It is surely a conversation piece

Regards
John

Gra
13th March 2007, 02:19 PM
Take the brownie points and run mate. If she likes it you have no chance of winning any argument. :D:D

ss_11000
13th March 2007, 04:37 PM
its ugly...but its cool:)