PDA

View Full Version : Goblet

Old Arn
13th March 2007, 11:09 AM
I really want to try turning a cowboy hat or ball cap so I have been doing a lot of studying on the subject.

From what I gather you need to turn the wood to about 3/32nds of an inch thick in order to shape it. I have never turned anything that thin so I figured this goblet would be good practice for turning thin.

1st pic: This goblet is fairly large, 11" tall, 5" wide at the top, 3" at the foot, the stem is 3/8" and the walls are 3/32" thick. Box Elder burl with some beautiful grain. I wish I would of kept more of a curve going at the top, its to straight and looks top heavy.

Sanded to 1200 grit, soaked with BLO, polished with White Diamond and buffed with carnauba wax.

Comments/critques always welcome,
Shane

2nd pic: I know ya all know what burl wood looks like but just for kicks here is a 100% crop of the image showing the grain ... Beautiful Wood!

benji79
13th March 2007, 11:19 AM
How nice is that wood :brava. I like the base a little bit wider, just my personal preference.

Very nice.

Benji

Old Arn
13th March 2007, 11:24 AM
... I like the base a little bit wider, just my personal preference.Benji

Thanks Benji ... I agree but the wood at the foot, which was towards the center of the log, was very punky and soft. I gave it a good soaking in super glue and turned it as thin as I dared. It started out wider but I kept getting terrible tear out, even with a fine slicing cut. I ended up adding more CA mixed with saw dust and sanded it down. I should of kept the stem about 2" shorter and I wouldn't of had that problem.

orraloon
13th March 2007, 02:14 PM
Arn,
The grain looks great. I will have to tackle some burl soon.
I think all of us on this forum are looking forwards to seeing the hat.

Regards
John

Rum Pig
13th March 2007, 02:26 PM
That is just stunning piece of wood :2tsup:

You may be able to turn a new base with some contrasting wood but it would have to be pretty specail to compliment the ?

I think you will turn the hat with out any problems. What timber were you thinking of making the hat out of :?

Cheers Justin:drink2:

OGYT
13th March 2007, 02:42 PM
Awesome timber, well done goblet. I don't know that I'd change anything, but after reading the posts... a little larger base might change it somewhat.
I've not been bit by the hat bug yet. That would surely be more of a challenge than I want.

Mobil Man
13th March 2007, 03:23 PM
Beautiful. That captive ring adds a lot. I've made a couple & darned if I don't forget to sand the sunofagun before I turn it loose. Very nice work.

ss_11000
13th March 2007, 04:28 PM
great goblet mate:clap:

BernieP
13th March 2007, 04:39 PM
G'Day Shane

That's a great piece of work, now stop mucking around and do the hat so we can have a look. Thanks for posting.

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th March 2007, 04:56 PM
Me 'ats off to you mate.

It's hard enough turning a passable goblet from carefully selected, straight-grained timber... turning an intact stem with bits of cross-grain is enough of a major hassle, let alone turning it from a burl! :oo:

Pity 'bout the foot, but you do what you can. Given any thought to turning a small ring from contrasting timber to glue to the rim of the foot? The thickness is there and it'd add a bit more stability... there's naught worse than having some klutz fumble a pick-up, knock it over and take a chip out of the lip of the bowl. :(( DAMHIKT.

hughie
13th March 2007, 08:05 PM
Shane,
I agree with Skew, a mighty good effort :2tsup: not something I would rush into myself.

dai sensei
13th March 2007, 08:53 PM
Looks really good to me, and out of burl