PDA

View Full Version : Termite Pine

WOODbTURNER
15th March 2007, 12:54 PM
Given a log of Bunya Pine (as told) and found out it was full of giant termites. Instead of burning it a geologist friend studying sinkholes in the NT gave me the idea of the form. A sinkhole is when the roof of an underground river or cavern collapses forming a hole in the ground.
The termite tracts representing the underground river and the opening the sinkhole.
Dream on!!
The finish is Danish oil.
http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

orraloon
15th March 2007, 01:12 PM
Woodbturner,
I cant stand the little buggers! They ate out the kitchen to the point the roof was about to fall in. Well thats my bitch for the day. Nice turning by the way. I like it.
Just be sure the wee beasties are good and dead before you bring it near the house.

Regards
John

OGYT
15th March 2007, 01:13 PM
Gorgeous piece of timber. I like the way you've put the sinkhole right where the river comes up from underground. :thewave: :clap:
We have sinkholes here in Texas, but it's from pulling so much oil and water out of the ground, and not putting enough back to take up the slack. :yikes: :toobad: Some of 'em are big enough to swallow a house. :kickcan:
Was that pine pretty soft, and hard to get smooth cuts on?

Gil Jones
15th March 2007, 01:31 PM
Fine looking piece, and good work keeping it together.

Rum Pig
15th March 2007, 02:04 PM
Looks really nice I like the termite holes in it I think it makes it stand out from the crowd you should be very happy with yourself well done:brava:thumbup1:

Cheers Justin:drink2:

WOODbTURNER
15th March 2007, 03:04 PM
Gorgeous piece of timber. I like the way you've put the sinkhole right where the river comes up from underground. :thewave: :clap:
We have sinkholes here in Texas, but it's from pulling so much oil and water out of the ground, and not putting enough back to take up the slack. :yikes: :toobad: Some of 'em are big enough to swallow a house. :kickcan:
Was that pine pretty soft, and hard to get smooth cuts on?

Hello Al
The wood was actually quite firm. As you know the main thing is to make sure your gouges are really sharp when cutting pine or any other soft wood.
Jeff

Twinnie
15th March 2007, 04:29 PM
i love it, you must have turned it fairly slow because it looks like it would just explode at high speed.

Matt

Flaco
15th March 2007, 04:55 PM
Great piece,
I always try to integrate "imperfections" in my turning

hughie
15th March 2007, 10:02 PM
Given a log of Bunya Pine (as told) and found out it was full of giant termites. Instead of burning it a geologist friend studying sinkholes in the NT gave me the idea of the form. A sinkhole is when the roof of an underground river or cavern collapses forming a hole in the ground.
The termite tracts representing the underground river and the opening the sinkhole.

Hmmm the old bunya pine looks good with termite tracks. I see also theres a bit of Spalting to boot. Very effective, certainly takes the humble pine up a few notches.

Nice effort

Tornatus
15th March 2007, 10:18 PM
Jeff

Striking effect from those termite tracks - what an excellent adaptation of a natural feature!

For the benefit of our overseas cousins, the "Bunya Pine" is not a pine at all, but a native Aussie timber, Araucaria bidwillii, called Bunya Bunya by our Aboriginal people. I haven't had a chance to turn much of it, but Jeff's piece is an inspiration.

If you see any Australian wood referred to by European or American terms like "pine, oak, ash" and similar, don't be deceived, because they are purely descriptive terms used by confused early European settlers here, and are nearly always inaccurate and misleading, both as to the appearance of the cut timber and its working qualities.

powderpost
15th March 2007, 10:24 PM
An excellent piece WoodB, I love it. :2tsup:
Jim

paul collins
15th March 2007, 10:27 PM
really nice form,ya cant beat mother natures carving so natural:2tsup:

tashammer
16th March 2007, 09:40 AM
wot Tornatus said!

i do like your work, triffic!