PDA

View Full Version : Well I've started

Little Festo
4th July 2003, 10:22 AM
Just got a mini Nove lathe the other day and turned my first "practice" bowel last night and made a start on the second. I completely lost track of time and almost forgot to have tea - the wife is in Europe at the moment so there was no one keeping tabs on me.

I harvested some timber from the back yard, prepared it on the bandsaw (made a circular blank) and away I went. No idea on what type of wood it was but it seemed to turn ok, an uninformed opinion from a beginner.

I think I like turning very much and am determined to learn as much as I can. Dam!! it's only 8:50 am and it's about 8 hours before I can turn the lathe on again.

One question, a friend of mine is cutting down a mango tree and said I could have as much as I want. How does mango turn.

Peter

Dean
4th July 2003, 12:21 PM
"How does mango turn. "

Rather messy! :)

Sorry couldn't help it.

Would be interesting to see some turned pieces from mango tree lumber though... Not a common source of wood.

arose62
4th July 2003, 12:35 PM
... and please, Please, PLEASE DO NOT show us any pictures of your turned "bowels".

Sorry, but the mental picture you conjured may well make me hesitate when next I approach my lathe.

Cheers,
Andrew

Sir Stinkalot
4th July 2003, 12:39 PM
I second that :)

Little Festo
4th July 2003, 12:56 PM
Well, I am embarrased by turning my bowels and stating that publically on the board, all though in my work as a medical photographer I suppose I have seen some things that would turn ones bowels and I promise, I won't post any of those.

Peter

Terrymac
4th July 2003, 02:42 PM
Mango turns well - can have quite a colour range,-.
I'm told that when storing wet mango wood for drying, you need to take off all the bark, otherwise tiny borers get to work and you'll end up with a pincushion effect.

colh
4th July 2003, 03:29 PM
Hi all

first post, so be nice ...

I got mango bowl blanks from The Wood Shop at Ulmarra (near Grafton) in January. I agree it turns well. My lidded bowl had streaks of pinky orange and grey in it.

PS if you are up near Grafton, the Wood Shop was a lot cheaper than anywhere I've seen so far in Sydney, for similar size pieces.

cheers, Colin

Little Festo
4th July 2003, 03:42 PM
I also forgot to ask in the first post if anyone has turned any African mahogany. There are lots of them planted around Darwin, unfortunatly they are prone to falling over during cyclones and have to be cut back regularly or removed.

Peter

fxst
4th July 2003, 09:25 PM
yep I sure have
when I visit the mate in Darwin I always get some to take home.....................
turns beautifully and has nice grain & colour plus takes to U's shellawax great
Peter