PDA

View Full Version : A serious question

dopeydriver
16th March 2007, 10:53 PM
If you were to build a wooden boat that could take you cruising shorthanded , even on your own , what features would you look for ?.
And why ?.
It can be a sailboat , or stinkboat , or a bit of both.
What is going to be a survivor ?.
Rob J.

Boatmik
18th March 2007, 09:57 PM
Howdy DD,

A survivor for what? If the answer to that question changes then the boat choice would change too.

Plenty of boats have cruised without sails. Plenty without motors.

In my book not worth having sails at all unless they can push the boat along pretty well in any direction it has to go in even difficult conditions. In the end I just don't trust motors enough - so the answer will change according to who you ask as well.

Which is your point of asking - of course.

MIK

Ramps
18th March 2007, 10:52 PM
What you need is a boat big enough to handle the open ocean and store enough food and guff on but not too big to handle yourself.

If you want a stinkpot you need fuel. If you go sail ... you'll need wind .. I know which costs less :D

Oh and features ... if you want a stinkpot I'd go look for one with a motor and if you want a wind-powered vessel I'd look for a boat with a mast and preferably a sail or two.

I think this vague answer is suitable for such a vague question ... like your idea but I think I'd make a few decisions before firing off a question as the answers you get may be too vague :U ... now what was I saying:B

DavidG
18th March 2007, 11:09 PM
Bilge keel motor sailer with plenty of power for electric winches and the bar fridge.

Daddles
18th March 2007, 11:09 PM
In reading Ramps' reply, I counsell you to look to his avatar, which shows a wee vessel, powered by human sweat only, beached solidly on the beach :D

Richard

Wild Dingo
18th March 2007, 11:57 PM
All depends on YOUR answer to two questions

1) "Survive what?"

2) What type of boat would you prefer?

The choices can be quite eclectic by the way and not quite as straight forward as you would imagine :;

Answer those two small questions and I think we can offer up a quite a selection of designs to choose from :2tsup:

aaaahhh buggar ot lets star the ball rolling eh? :;

Paddle oar power

Wee Lassie canoes... 12 and 14fters... plans found in Mac McCarthys book building the feather weight cane
Redwing... see ramps question ramps annoy ramps pecj ramps's brain :U
See Mik

Kayak... Chris Kezewhatever you spell the blokes name or Ted Moores... look in the library for any book by Ted and you"ll be on the right track

small power ??- 15hp}

Small scow type
Small dinghy type

Small Sail type - 20ft (no engine or small -10hp outboard}
Stevensons weekender pilot boat or Vacationer
Goat Island Skiff
St Valery

larger sail type ??20 - 50ft inboard power}
Peterson's Schooner Susan {an as its being built photo gallery on Woodenboat.com forum now}
Petersons Coaster Schooner
Cat boats
Couta boats

20 - 30ft power
George Buellers Duck family {well theyre actually a tad bigger but me fingas sore :q }
Flats boats {river fishing}

River power 20 - 70ft
English river boats
American designer Phil Bolger has a couple of variations

Then theres the cats and tris... There is a massive array of design choices mate for ANY design type by an equally massive array of designers

Give us some idea of uses and intents and we could be real helpful :;

Cheers
Shane

dopeydriver
19th March 2007, 04:06 AM
Well , I've had cause to go down to Portland a couple of times , hoping to get some sailing in , but it didn't happen .
We did lots of looking at boats , and talking , but no sailing.
Then I was talking with Garry Kerr , who is turning in to a bit of a mentor , and he said that yes , we do a lot less sailing than we think we do , its always "too" something , too windy , too much this way , too much that , too hot , too still.
So , when I do get down there full time , I can see myself doing a lot of sailing on my own.
And I'm not going to be content with just going out to sea a bit , and coming home , I'll want to go somewhere ! , go to Portsea , go to Nelson , and return , and keep on stretching the boundaries.There is a lot of coast to explore. There are fishing grounds to visit.
So I need something that I could operate myself if I have to , and that is going to be able to handle rough conditions if I do get caught.
Garry cautioned me about getting an old boat to restore , saying that it can be a money sink , and cautioned me off converted fishing boats , because they are generally poorer sailers anyway.
He should know , he has had a few.
So , is it a sailboat , with an auxilery motor , or a motor boat ?.
A monohull , or a cat or tri.
And although electric powered winches etc are nice , something that can be operated easily with just "Armstrong" power.
And something that you can see out of easily , if you are on your own.
Something that I can just go down to , motor out of the harbour , and then set off up the coast , in most weathers.
I don't want to be controlled by the "too" factor.
Rob J.
Rob J.

Daddles
19th March 2007, 09:54 AM
Go to David Payne's website and buy the plans for the Yellowtail (check my avatar). She's a very seaworthy craft with both an outboard and a sail. At 14', not so small she'll suffer at sea but not so large she's hard to mess with on your own, and not so large she'll take forever to build - there is a quantum leap in effort between building a 14 footer and an 18 footer. Build the Yellowtail, get her on the water and start developing your skills. A summer on her will soon have you knowing where you want to go next ... and you'll have discovered yourself whether you use the motor or the sails more.

Richard

Wild Dingo
19th March 2007, 11:22 AM
And sometimes... just sometimes... daddiddlydaddles actually does make sence :2tsup:

Daddles
19th March 2007, 12:53 PM
And sometimes... just sometimes... daddiddlydaddles actually does make sence :2tsup:

And what's more, he can spell 'sense' :D

Richard

didn't think I'd let you get away with agreeing with me did you?

Ramps
19th March 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm seriously looking at the NIS (Norwalk Island Sharpies (http://www.nisboats.com/)) for my next vessel ... might be worthy of a look.

BTW Daddles ... I'm on water (we have see thru water over this way :U ) ... how's your floating ....:q

Dingo ... signing off differently now??

Daddles
19th March 2007, 01:16 PM
Be wary of the NIS's Ramps. They are darned good craft but being flat bummed, only work when canted over on a chine. You may like that in which case, they are well worth looking at, but ...

I saw Charlie Fisher at Goolwa (wot 'is face's 23 NIS, the bloke who's pushing them - know his name, just can't remember it. Darned nice bloke too, given me some very good advice from time to time). Impressive boat. Floats in a thin layer of slime. Rigged so he raise and lower everything from the cockpit. Shows no real signs of the hard work she's done :2tsup:

Richard

Ramps
19th March 2007, 02:47 PM
Daddles
Thanks for the input, definitely haven't made up my mind as yet. Figured it would be a good thin in the many shallow bays around Oz but might be too much of a comprise in the open ocean??

Wild Dingo
19th March 2007, 04:06 PM
Dingo ... signing off differently now??

Of course yer flamin wet bummed galah :doh: ...Didnt yer realize that Ive become the "great grouchinator" of recent times :~ :;

The NIS is as good a wee boat as a flat bummed thing can be :roll: fair few people like em so cant all be bad eh sorta like a lot of boats some people have issues with :doh:

Coulda been worse eh he could have said he wanted a Wharram :o :o then the sparks would flown! :U I woulda had to come to his rescue which means Ive gotta remain the great grouchinator protector of the quiet so.... back friggin off :~

but its all good :2tsup:

bloggs1968
20th March 2007, 08:20 PM
what about a nice little Vertue 25??

Go anywhere on the coast and offshore. Simple to sail engine or not. Achievable size to build. Can be built traditional timber or modern timber. Great re-sale value. Not as fast as more modern designs but sails itself pretty well which is important for short/singlehanded.

Just imagine, huon planks, celery backbone, blue gum ribs and all that copper and gunmetal ( drool...:U :U .............).

Not an accommodationmaran but a good choice.

Apparently legend has it that on the harbourmaster's wall in Durban is a sign that says no yacht may depart in winds over force 7 unless she is a Vertue.

What sort of timber construction are you talking about?

regards,

AD

dopeydriver
20th March 2007, 10:06 PM
I couldn't find anything on a Vertue 25.
I checked on the yellowtail , and there are a couple of boats like that for sale at Portland , and a couple of couta boats too. All in good sailing and motoring condition.
The way I figure it , I can get plenty of couta boats racing there , but I'm not sure an open boat would be ideal for working my way up the coast , and I doubt I'd EVER get my wife on it !.
The NIS has always had appeal , but would I be better off with a stink boat ?.
I figure I'll be messing about with the PDR and hopefully GIS for a while , but I'd like to find something to start working on for the next step .
Rob J.

Ramps
20th March 2007, 10:40 PM
Hey dopey
try http://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/vertue.htm

or
http://www.vertueowners.org.uk/

mostly in the England

Thanks Bloggs it's got me looking :2tsup:

onthebeachalone
21st March 2007, 07:53 AM
I'm seriously looking at the NIS (Norwalk Island Sharpies (http://www.nisboats.com/)) for my next vessel At the last meeting of the WBAQ we had an illustrated presentation by Ian Phillips (owner of Boatcraft Pacific), of a voyage he made with Robert Ayliffe (of NIS fame) from Victoria to Hobart on Robert's NIS (Charlie Fisher if I remember aright).

It's a great story and If you wanted to hear it first-hand I'm sure either of these gentlemen would love to tell you about it.

dopeydriver
21st March 2007, 02:20 PM
I'm actually on the NIS site , we have heard bits of the adventure down to Hobart , and are waiting for the full account.
I've also listened to first hand accounts of the men who took open 'couta boats down there and back in the past.
They knew the waters and coasts well , but still its a lot different in a little open couta boat , than a great big steel fishing boat !.
They enjoyed the experience they say , but I haven't seen them put their hand up to do it again !.
Rob J.

STEPHEN MILLER
24th March 2007, 05:00 PM
NIS are great inshore boats but are better sailed with very little heel meaning upright
And what his name Robert Ayliffe who last year sailed Charlie Fisher from Outer Harbour to Vincent in a record breaking in 16 hrs arriving at 2230, trip that should take 6 or so in good conditions he had 4 people onboard for the trip over 2 were smart enough to come back by other means
So he claims they do wonderful things but he takes risks most people are smart enough not to:no:

Ramps
25th March 2007, 12:20 AM
Sorry to diverge somewhat DD (but at least it keeps the thread alive) but I'd be keen on other suggestions.

OK NIS have there drawbacks ... what's the alternative recommendations?

After posting the vertue sites the other day I realised that no one is selling plans for a Vertue ... the best you can get is a GRP hull (I think) and that's for the UK.

come on more suggestions for a cruiser w/e-der or more (I think that's what DD was requesting at the outset of this thread ... at least that's what I read it as)

Wild Dingo
25th March 2007, 01:18 AM
Ok DD Ive been thinkin on this wee problemo of yours since I posted my last reply

Now... Ive heard tell from some reasonably reliable people that more circumnavigations are done in boats under 30ft than over... the need or perceived need for a big boat to do such journeys is a tad over rated and over stated by the magazines sales brokers and others.. while it is a good thing to have "more room" its not absolutely necessary for a successful trip to wherever as it will add up to a) more work in handling b) more difficulty for solo sailing c) higher costs in marinas d) higher maintenance levels etc etc

Also... given than many an explorer set out in boats under 40ft Id say your chances of getting well out there is a good one

Okay so for me I wouldnt go further offshore than say the 5 mile reef in anything less than {in a mono} a Murray Petersons Susan
A building log is being setup on Woodenboat.com forum by RodB well worth purusing for all the info and photos as the boat goes together
Number 1 (http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=11087)
number 2 (http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=51863)
number 3 (http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=58754)
number 4 (http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=62936)

at 29ft she would do the journey to anywhere and back safely

So you want to do what the yanks call gunkholing in and around sallow waters... you need as little ballast under her bum as you can get... my advice here is either a catamaran under 20ft Id be looking at either Mike Waller (http://www.wallerdesign.com.au/Planlist.html) who has a quite a good choice and selection of both mono and cats young Scottyk is building one of his designs or Ross Turner (http://members.optusnet.com.au/~rhturner1/) from both the plans are reasonably priced

Or go for the flat bottom type... so we can look at say Stevensons (http://www.stevproj.com/PocketYachts.html) Weekender, Vacationer or Pocket Cruiser designs... the plans are great well laid out clear and no dramas takes about 3 weeks apter payment of the $50AUD for plans to arrive so as far as cost goes cheep as chups as the kiwis say :;
Ken Hankinsons (http://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=718) designs are now available through GlenL (http://www.boatdesigns.com/) both of whom have some designs that would fit your perameters
Reuel Parker Marine (http://www.parker-marine.com/) could also have something of interest along with Bruce Roberts (http://www.bruceroberts.com/)

Id suggest you go to THE MOTHER (http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html) and prepare to be mesmerized :2tsup: for days :; weeks :roll: months :doh: years even :o

When you get there simply scroll down the page and you will notice a huge selection of links look down till you see "Designers, Plans & Kits A to M", "Designers, Plans & Kits N to Z" then "Free Plans" but you will see what I mean when you get there.. just click whatever interests you and it will take you to another page with a bloody long list of links to designers pages just wander around the different sites till you see what you want :2tsup: Some may well be out of date but persevere its worth it

I can get Phil Bolgers address fax and phone numbers if you want.. hes sorta old fashioned as far as Im aware he still doesnt have email but if you contact Dynamite Payson through his site (http://www.instantboats.com/) Im pretty sure he is in pretty regular contact but then again ol dynamite may also have something for you?

Okay so there you go for now :; Anyways without more info from you I could go on all night so will leave it for now :q

Note to those interested GlenL finally after months of trying discussions and twisting of Kens now retired arm managed to convince him that his designs were in demand and have come to some sort of arrangement so that they're again available... bloody good stuff in my book!! :2tsup:

Daddles
25th March 2007, 11:02 AM
Seeing we're going to confuse the lad with options, how about another Australian - Murray Isles boat designs. (http://www.islesdesign.com/) There were concerns about the plans years ago but I understand that these have been been well and truly sorted and the designs make good use of space and draft.

Richard

Wild Dingo
25th March 2007, 12:01 PM
Seeing we're going to confuse the lad with options, how about another Australian - Murray Isles boat designs. (http://www.islesdesign.com/) There were concerns about the plans years ago but I understand that these have been been well and truly sorted and the designs make good use of space and draft.

Richard

Richard the only issue I have with his designs is his site!! :~ you cant get a thumbnail pic of them without having to download the bloody pdf file and some of them dont bloody well work :roll: Ive always appreciated the small effort it takes to load a thumbnail onto the page that one can click to open a larger general arrangement pic or a pic of one built from that then you can then download the study plan... if your interested... with Murrays page {and its the reason I didnt post a link to it} you have a scant few words on which to make a choice if you want to download the study plans... NOT everyone is on adsl or broadband... and I do think the linked SPs should open up once downloaded but Ive just checked a few and some dont so you want to look at them? tuff :roll: bad bad bad :doh:

but okay DD could email phone or fax and get them sent to him... me I wont bother to many other choices out there to worry about one site that doesnt want to work and the designer or web master doesnt or cant be bothered making thumbnails for... just move on

dopeydriver
25th March 2007, 02:11 PM
Jeez Dingo , that a heap of material , thank you !.
I've now subscribed to the English "Watercraft" magazine , and I've got a heap of back issues , and I've got about 30 years of "Wooden Boat" magazine too.
Without pouring back over the magazines and coming up with actual boats and builders , or going in to your posted sites mate , it seems to me that more of the old fishing boat style would suit me , and may well do the job.
One article written by Paul Gartside has stuck in my mind . He was talking about the underwater profile of boats.
Not only for the way it affects their sailing ability , but also their vulnerability. He sited just how vulnerable the more "racey" keel is to damage.
A boat I'm looking forward to sailing on is the 28 ft 'couta' boat "Rosebud" . Apparently it is well ballasted , as well as having a big centreboard , and carries the most sail of any 'couta' boat .It is apparently an extremely powerful boat , and I'm really looking forward to sailing in her.
But something around 30 ft , a full keel , well ballasted , with a centreboard , gaff rigged and set up to keep you relatively dry , is that too much to ask , or appropriate ?.
Anyway Dingo , I'll get through all of that stuff , I promise.
Regards Rob J.

Wild Dingo
25th March 2007, 03:04 PM
Rob mate seems your about as up on it all as can be already :2tsup: Paul Gartsides is a bloody good designer although Ive lost track of his website and cant get anything to come up no matter how I go after it :C And mate I dont think you'd go terribly wrong choosing one of his designs :2tsup:

Rosebud? {huff huff fume spit} have fun yer wombat :~ an think of yer old mate over here :roll: when yer flittin along :2tsup:

dopeydriver
25th March 2007, 03:52 PM
Dingo , Paul Gartside is http://www.gartsideboats.com .
I've been in contact with him , he seems a good bloke to deal with too.
It seems to me he is coming at the industry from the fishing boat side , and thats the way I like it too.
In regard to the 28 ft Rosebud , well that belongs to the brother in law of the bloke I go sailing with , who used to own the Arial , a 26 ft "couta" classic.
But the Rosebud is 2 foot longer than the Arial ,and 2 foot wider , both were built in the early '30's.
It also carries a lot more ballast , and sail , and the both boats sail quite differently , even side by side.
Last time I went down there there were a pod of "couta" boats all moored together , I knew the Arial , elegant , if a "couta" boat could be that , but my eyes kept going back to that bigger , mean looking bugger .
That was the Rosebud.
I've been filled in on her history , how she is set up , how she sails , now its just time to get out there and experience her !.
I can hardly wait !.
I'm told though , she is a "shorts" boat , wear shorts 'cos its gonna be a wet trip !.
I went through all of the sites you put up , gee there was some good boats , but that "Susan" ! , what an effort !.
I reckon if I ever built something like that , you would never get me off the bloody thing !.
Rob J.

dopeydriver
25th March 2007, 07:20 PM
Well , I don't know what happened to Paul Gartsides site !.
It seems to have just gone !.
Rob J.

bloggs1968
25th March 2007, 07:24 PM
Hi Rob,

Just checked and still there.

http://www.gartsideboats.com/

regards,

AD

dopeydriver
25th March 2007, 07:45 PM
Yes , the site is still there , but what about the content ???.
I get nothing at all about Gartside boats.
Rob J.

bloggs1968
25th March 2007, 08:10 PM
No problems navigating the site from my end - all content seems to be there.

regards,

AD

Wild Dingo
25th March 2007, 09:13 PM
yep I get the same... as though someones hyjacked the site or looped into it and all I get is...

Welcome to gartsideboats.com

* Gartside
* Boat
* Boat Cover
* Boat Lift
* Inflatable Boat
* Boat for Sale
* Boat Trailer
* Boat Seat
* Used Boat
* Boat Shoes
* Life Jacket

* Vacation
* Technology
* Health & Beauty
* Gifts
* Personal Finance
* Home

nothing whatever to do with Pauls designs or anything else... actually now I click it its just a bloody search engine! :~

dopeydriver
25th March 2007, 09:49 PM
Dingo , I found the Paul Gartside article in the July/August 1999 issue of Water Craft.
It is a 30 ft Cutter designed for a Richard Best , based on the Falmouth Working boat .
He goes in to detail on the rationale of his design , particularly the keel and ballasting.
I also like his 37 ft gaff ketch motor sailer , thats my sort of boat !.
Rob J.

dopeydriver
25th March 2007, 10:07 PM
Dingo , one out of left field .
St Valery.
What is the current thought on her ?.
Rob J.

Aberdeen
25th March 2007, 10:40 PM
Hey Daddles
Ain't ya seen them thar seas off Portland, Nelson and the like!
Wouldn't even venture out past the end of the Glenelg River in 'Rusty' let alone that land-locked 14' artwork in yer shed.

I reckon nothing under 18 feet down there with plenty of protection from the elements.... dare I suggest a good sized Hartley :o :U maybe the Vixen 20+ http://www.hartley-boats.com/vix20cr.html

Then again you have that nice big solid one out the front, a bit of repair and a fresh paint job......and time..... could be quite an offer for the lad.
:oo:

Aberdeen

Go to David Payne's website and buy the plans for the Yellowtail (check my avatar). She's a very seaworthy craft with both an outboard and a sail. At 14', not so small she'll suffer at sea but not so large she's hard to mess with on your own, and not so large she'll take forever to build - there is a quantum leap in effort between building a 14 footer and an 18 footer. Build the Yellowtail, get her on the water and start developing your skills. A summer on her will soon have you knowing where you want to go next ... and you'll have discovered yourself whether you use the motor or the sails more.

Richard

Aberdeen
25th March 2007, 10:54 PM
Daddles,
Forgot to mention, have finally made the first frame for the 18' Vixen.... and I totally concur on your comment...

".....and not so large she'll take forever to build - there is a quantum leap in effort between building a 14 footer and an 18 footer."

Spent some time with a mate last night (silly man wants to build a boat) and comparing the Husky, Scamp 15 & Vixen 18 plans..... crickey there IS a lot of difference in the work and complexities as they get bigger, not to mention cost..... sometimes simple and small is good.

Hoping to do 2 frames per week :rolleyes:

Aberdeen

Wild Dingo
26th March 2007, 01:22 AM
Rob one thing Ive always liked about Pauls designs... history!! :2tsup: beautiful designs... also the levels of experience he suggests gives a bit of a window into the degree of difficulty involved in the build :doh: :U

aaahhh St Valery... yes aahh yes indeed fine wee thing she be :2tsup: Mr Bolgers absolute best home builderable in my opinion... but the one for me? mmmm juries still out on that one mate :roll: See now Ive started thinking about either the Golant Gaffer by Roger Dongray or the Secret by Derek Ellard two truely fine wee boats... Ive also been quite interested in several of Ken Hankinsons designs for some time and now theyre back on the market Im sorely tempted and the Noyo Trawler takes my fancy still... and so now Im back to being flamin snookered again :C and its really getting rather bloody painfull :doh:

I have at this time in the shed parts for
1) Atkin's Valgerda {tiller, rudder, mast}
2) A 1930ish designed house boat {wheel, console, mooring bitts, ramps etc}
3) What started out as parts for a workboat but have sorta ended up just sittin on the bench annoying shyte outta me {bitts, belaying pins, etc}
4) Several parts for the Stevensons Weekender {keel, wheel, pot holes, tabernacle}
5) the moulds and building boards for not 1 not 2 but 3 canoes

And none of them inspire me whatever now!!! :o :C

dopeydriver
26th March 2007, 08:16 AM
Dingo I was taken by the look of St Valery when I first saw her , and was interested in the "conversations" you and MIK had about her , I was just interested in hearing your opinion , whether you had managed to get her "sorted out".
Looking through the Gartside site carefully , when it was up , and looking through an individuals site for someone who was building one of his boats , yes it seems to me it requires a fair amount of traditional boat building skills.
I like his fishing boat inspired motor sailers.
But the thought of me building one in my shed , well , that could only be in my dreams !.
But ya know , there are a heap of Tassie style fishing boats out there , some of the older ones , still sound ,are more of a sailing form , and convert well to a motor sailer.
Maybe they don't do either particularly well , like you can sure get a faster motor boat , and a sail boat that will sail better to all points , but gee , I reckon they would be persistant buggers , they just keep on keeping on.
And thats really what I need.
It reminds me of a fight I saw in the old Jimmy Sharmans tent , maybe 50 years ago.
One of the local boys , a bull of a man , climbed in the ring with a crafty aboriginal fighter.
The aboriginal fighter gave him a boxing lesson , but the local boy just took it all , he was still standing , and the aboriginal was exhausted.
In the finish , he stuck his jaw out , and allowed the aboriginal to give him his best shot , and he was still standing !.
Then that nasty look came in to his eyes , and he started throwing leather of his own , it was not a pretty sight.
I want something that can take it all , if it has to be , and comes out the other end.
I won't be looking for trouble , but if it finds me , I'd like to have confidence in my boat.
Rob J.

Wild Dingo
26th March 2007, 12:58 PM
Rob mate thats exakatackaly why I cant decide!! :doh: I keep wanting something thats not quite what Im wanting and everything I see is lacking that something :roll:

You look to the Tassie fishing boats while I look to the Broome and TI Pearling Luggars... but 50ft is too much for any solo let alone me to build... not that Im not game hell Id go for it but the sheer timber sizes!! and seriously Ive no intent of spending a good part of what lifes remainin to me buildin a friggin boat :roll:

So a few years back I yep me thats yer old mate Dingo here had a right solid bash at "downsizing" Trixen to 26ft... but an NA or even a fair to piddlin drawer I am not truth to tell it looked like "shyte" so Ive tried and Ive tried and hell Ive tried so many times to redraw it in that stupid Freeship program... and while I can get it sorta near on not real close its just not happening... so I go nuts then forget it for a few months then go round again :doh:

So I know what you mean :C

Something takes your fancy that it could be it... damn it it is it... then you have another gander and suddenly your going mmmm :no:

For me theres few luggars for sale around here and what are theyre askin a kings ransom for... Even the old jarrah fishing boats seem to be going for way more than Id pay and really Im not a tight wad by any stretch of the imagination... now if I could just get one "donated" Id be happy :2tsup:

old Jimmy Sharmans tent!!! Gawd strewth mate!! :o Talk about reboot the old memory glands :U My first... and I mean my first go round in a boxing ring was in one of his tents!! got in a few good whacks before the mongrel sent me outta the ring and into the audience :C I take that kinda serious or did back then got into the local youth club joined the boxing and came back a year later and dropped the bastard flat :2tsup: :U never went back to either :;

dopeydriver
26th March 2007, 01:39 PM
Well Dingo , I've done a bit of boxin' , but not in Jimmy Sharmans tent .
I saw some good fights there though !.
As to the luggers , I like them too , but just get the impression they are a boat for "you and the boys" , they look an "armstrong" boat.
I had my eye on a Cayzer ex fishing boat down in Tassie , 36 ft , a nice conversion , but she was soon snapped up.
But I happen to know where there is another Cayzer sister ship , Gardner 5LW , gaff rig , great hull , buggered wheelhouse , just ripe for conversion.
An easily driven hull , given the thumbs up by a very experienced wooden boat builder.
Have I got the nerve ?.
I reckon if I got the wheelhouse done , make sure I keep fresh water out of the rest of it , I could use it , on my own if I have to , while I do the interior.
I know the history , the complete history of the boat , and I know it is a well proven sea boat , but I just don't want to get out of my depth , rebuilding it.
Its a worry !.
Rob J.

Ramps
27th March 2007, 12:54 AM
I have at this time in the shed parts for
1) Atkin's Valgerda {tiller, rudder, mast}
2) A 1930ish designed house boat {wheel, console, mooring bitts, ramps etc}
3) What started out as parts for a workboat but have sorta ended up just sittin on the bench annoying shyte outta me {bitts, belaying pins, etc}
4) Several parts for the Stevensons Weekender {keel, wheel, pot holes, tabernacle}
5) the moulds and building boards for not 1 not 2 but 3 canoes

And none of them inspire me whatever now!!! :o :C

Well I can't say you inspire me either :p and I'm not in your shed ... how could I possibly fit??

You guys are going too fast for little old me:o . I've got work to do and houses to research ... BTW how's yours dingo, did you find a kit here in the west that you liked? ...and after all that I get to spend a little time researching more boats ... at the moment I'm doing one a night and going to bed dreaming and thinking over the pros and cons ... keep up the suggestions .... but pls slow them down a tad :rolleyes:

dopeydriver
27th March 2007, 03:00 PM
I e-mailed Paul Gartside , and have just got a response.
They had problems with the site , but it is back up and running now , and he is still flat out designing and building boats.
Rob J.