PDA

View Full Version : Free Pen Blanks

Studley 2436
19th March 2007, 11:09 AM
Hi All
This is a long story but anyway as part of a charity thing where we were turning pens out I went through my shed and did a bit of a clean up on the more figured bits of wood I found there.

Then the wheels fell off so about a year later I have a 10 litre bucket of pen blanks just sitting there!

Includes Grey Gum, Sydney Blue Gum, Spotted Gum, Stringybark, Tassie Oak. All sized to whatever the size is I was told plus I put a bit of extra on because I hate skinny pens. Still need to be drilled.

Have as many as you want free, so long as you pay the postage.

Studley

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th March 2007, 11:26 AM
Dang! Now where can I get my hands on a trailer...?

Simomatra
19th March 2007, 01:15 PM
G'day Studley I have sent you a PM

DJ’s Timber
19th March 2007, 01:30 PM
May I suggest sending them all to one penturner who can catergorise the lot into mixed packs and then post them onwards to interested parties. I am happy to do this if everyone is agreeable

Studley 2436
19th March 2007, 01:35 PM
That would be a first rate way to sort it all out.

Sounds good to me

Studley

Simomatra
19th March 2007, 01:41 PM
Stephen what DJ says is a great way to do it I will go along with that Sorry i cann't do the organising as I am away on Wednesday

rona
19th March 2007, 03:02 PM
Hi DJ,
Count me in if you have a few spares, postage certainly
no problem, this is an excellent way to sort it out
Thanks, Cheers, Ron.

ScrollZilla
19th March 2007, 03:25 PM
That is an incredibly generous offer! Those are woods I have yet to hear of, let alone play with. I would love to take you up on your offer, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be able to work with it for months, and would rather other turners who will use it sooner have it.

Regards

Rick

Studley 2436
19th March 2007, 03:34 PM
No big deal Scrolzilla. I have stacks of timber doing nothing and just could not bring myself to bin the blanks I cut up. Selling them would be too much work for too little return so give them to people that will get something out of them.

DJSTimber will be sending them around to everyone in mixed packs so you will get the chance to see a few that are hard to get hold of in the US.

Don't be too jealous we don't get much in the way of Cherry Maple or Oak down here that you have up there.

Studley

mobrien
19th March 2007, 06:32 PM
What a Studley offer! I'd love to be involved as my new lathe turns up in two weeks and I'll need some projects to get going. Postage no issue here...

Where do I sign :D

And because I think this is a good offer, I'll offer some silky oak up - I milled a heap a year ago, and I'm happy to cut up some pen blanks for people. Actually, I have some camphor there too - could do a few diff types. Does anyone else in Brissy have some to add to the mix?

Matt

Studley 2436
19th March 2007, 07:23 PM
OMG what have I started? We are going to drown Australia in Pen Blanks

Studley

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th March 2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/captain.gif I know Melbourne's around here somewhere...http://www.ubeaut.biz/drowning.gif

sundowner
19th March 2007, 09:31 PM
May I suggest sending them all to one penturner who can catergorise the lot into mixed packs and then post them onwards to interested parties. I am happy to do this if everyone is agreeable

D J Gooday Count me in if you end up with a few spare blanks,transfer no worries Thanks Graham.

Stuart
19th March 2007, 10:20 PM
I'm certainly interested if there is room on the bottom of the list!

Studley 2436
19th March 2007, 11:20 PM
dtstimber will be handling all this as he knows something about this.

I have boxed them up and will send them through to him next week. So he's the guy to go begging to. No need to panic there are most likely a couple of hundred in there.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I just thought there was a better home for the blanks I had. Hate to throw out good timber.

Studley

DJ’s Timber
19th March 2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks again for doing this Studley.

Once I have received the blanks and sorted them out, I will let you know what is available and approximate cost of postage.

In the meantime those wanting some please send me a PM with your name and address. That way I can work out postage cost as I am sorting them out and how many everyone gets.

As Studley says there is likely a couple hundred or so blanks so everyone should get some.

ps Studley it's djstimber not dtstimber :doh: :U

Studley 2436
20th March 2007, 12:00 AM
ps Studley it's dJstimber not dTstimber :doh: :U

doh typo

Studley

mobrien
21st March 2007, 07:28 PM
After a quick conversation with djstimber, I'm going to cut some camphor and silky blanks and send them to him to add to the mailup.

How many should I do? i.e. how much interest is there?

Matt

P.S. And who else is joining in :U How many blanks can we fit into a 3kg prepaid satchel!

chrisb691
21st March 2007, 07:42 PM
I also would be interested, if you have capacity left. :)

DJ’s Timber
21st March 2007, 07:59 PM
After a quick conversation with djstimber, I'm going to cut some camphor and silky blanks and send them to him to add to the mailup.

How many should I do? i.e. how much interest is there?

Matt

P.S. And who else is joining in :U How many blanks can we fit into a 3kg prepaid satchel!

Should be able to fit roughly 70 to 80 (20 x 20 x 130) blanks in a 3kg satchel

I also would be interested, if you have capacity left. :)

At this stage we are up to 1 dozen people including you too Chris

TK1
21st March 2007, 08:24 PM
Hi,

Thanks Studley and DJ, count me in - DJ, I have sent you a PM with contact details.

Regards,
Darren

PS I'm new to this pen forum, just learning and will post some pics when I get the hang of it and turn out something acceptable!

rona
21st March 2007, 08:36 PM
Hi DJ,
Just sent you a PM re the pen blanks.
Thanks for undertaking this job.

Regards,
Ron.

DJ’s Timber
21st March 2007, 08:46 PM
Ok folks, so far we have 15 people up for blanks, I have decided that in the interest of making it worthwhile for everyone who has so far sent me a PM and for the next 5 who send me one to cap the numbers at 20 people.

No amount of name calling :C or begging :no: will make me change my mind.

I will also be adding some bits from my private collection which will be IDed when you get them :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
21st March 2007, 08:57 PM
3 places left now :;

Stuart
21st March 2007, 09:30 PM
Too cool - thanks heaps guys (in advance) :)

DJ’s Timber
21st March 2007, 09:49 PM
Getting close now , the gate is about to close on this one :; , down to the last 2 now

DJ’s Timber
21st March 2007, 10:56 PM
Closing, closing only one batch left, better hurry and snap that last place up :U

DJ’s Timber
22nd March 2007, 12:43 AM
Done, finished gate has closed, the last place has been snapped up

Stuart
22nd March 2007, 03:32 AM
Did my wife contact you? She's (suddenly) developed a very keen interest in (uh) pen turning....... ;) :o

(just kidding :D )

old dog
22nd March 2007, 02:07 PM
l was too late snooze ya loose!! :C good luck to every one" :2tsup: now we can hope to see some top pens made.:D It was a very generous offer much better than the bin.:wink:

Terry B
23rd March 2007, 02:44 PM
Blast!!
I missed out. Having to go to a funeral yesterday has kept me off line so I didn't see this yesterday.
Good luck all.

chrisb691
23rd March 2007, 05:49 PM
Blast!!
I missed out. Having to go to a funeral yesterday has kept me off line so I didn't see this yesterday.
Good luck all.

That's no excuse, the thread's been on since the 19th. :D

DJ’s Timber
23rd March 2007, 06:58 PM
Ok we have another donor who is going to supply some Jarrah pieces as well. Thank you Chesand :2tsup: .

With Studleys bits, Matts Silky and Camphor, I will be swimming in blanks for a while till I get them sorted and posted :o

lubbing5cherubs
24th March 2007, 10:29 AM
:2tsup: way cool...thanks Guys for your kindness. Camphor oh that sound lovely and we have nice smelling lathe rooms too:2tsup: :D
Toni

mobrien
24th March 2007, 12:22 PM
hi guys,

I spent this morning rough milling the silky oak, and now I have a bucket of blanks :U

I'd forgotten how much fun this was :2tsup:

I'll see how much these weigh before I get onto the camphor...

M

mobrien
24th March 2007, 12:57 PM
I was on a roll - so off to do some camphor!

That stuff is awesome! Clears the nose and soothes the throat!

So here it is - 3kg of blanks ready to go into the postpac! 60 silky oak (3 each) and 20 camphor (1 each). I have more of both - but will save them for the next (!!) swap as I want to use just the one 3kg satchel.

Jenga anyone? :oo:

Matt

P.S. Camphor at the front (obviously), silky oak at the back.

lubbing5cherubs
24th March 2007, 01:15 PM
what is Jenga?
Toni

mobrien
24th March 2007, 01:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenga

:U

M

Stuart
24th March 2007, 02:03 PM
That's awesome! This is what the forums are all about.

Wish I had some timber to cut up to contribute - happy to do so, but all I can supply is pine :o

Was just out at the shed (had my first 20 minute window in weeks), and played very briefly practicing some of 's hints on a small pine spindle. You know, a pine pen might actually be nice - will give it a try the next window I get.... (sometime in the next month :( )

Studley 2436
24th March 2007, 07:41 PM
I have about a cube of mxed hardwoods largely spotty gum and grey gum and some Oregon as well.

But I am not going to turn all of that into pen blanks but some of the knotty stuff that has to be cut out when you make furniture like me might yield some really good pens

Studley

DJ’s Timber
24th March 2007, 07:58 PM
So here it is - 3kg of blanks ready to go into the postpac! 60 silky oak (3 each) and 20 camphor (1 each).

Great stuff Matt :2tsup:, look forward to receiving blanks.

Also had word today that Studley has posted his batch off too and will be picking up Chesand's Jarrah Monday arvo, so should be doing some sorting this coming week and hopefully post them end of week

Terry B
25th March 2007, 10:25 PM
That's no excuse, the thread's been on since the 19th. :D
True, but the reason for the funeral certainly keeps you otherwise distracted. Good luck all.

mobrien
27th March 2007, 11:43 AM
The pen blanks I made were sent off yesterday - so hopefully with DJ by late in the week!A note on the codes on the blanks:
SO is silky oak
camphor is camphor
:DM

tashammer
27th March 2007, 12:06 PM
The pen blanks I made were sent off yesterday - so hopefully with DJ by late in the week!A note on the codes on the blanks:
SO is silky oak
camphor is camphor
:DM

that's too complicated i tell you! Next time you get into argufying with paretner or loinfruit and they say "SO!" and you say, "Silky Oak", things will get confused.

And the l33t speak of "camphor", sheesh. Just say "camper" and be done with it.

At this point he was led away mumbling to hisself :D

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 12:45 PM
Cool Matt.

I dropped by Chesand's place yesterday and have the Jarrah and some other bits on hand :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
28th March 2007, 01:37 PM
Received Studley's blanks today :2tsup:.

Again, thanks for donating your timber Studley :2tsup:.

I will start sorting out the bits and Matt's pieces once they turn up I will then let everyone know the postage costs.

Will probably have everything ready to go after the weekend, as I will be on the road for the next couple of days.

Studley 2436
28th March 2007, 01:43 PM
No worries DJ

Let me know what you think of all that sizing etc. Might do it again sometime.

Studley

DJ’s Timber
30th March 2007, 07:57 PM
Matts blanks turned up today :2tsup:, boy did I get a good whiff when I opened the bag up :o :U.

They look great Matt :2tsup:

mobrien
30th March 2007, 08:27 PM
:B

I'm hoping the whiff was from the camphor, and not the currie I had the night before I packed it!

:2tsup:

How did I go for sizes? I guessed having never done a pen before....:o

M

DJ’s Timber
30th March 2007, 08:35 PM
Was from the camphor :;.

Sizes are excellent :2tsup:

Studley 2436
30th March 2007, 09:27 PM
Cheers DJ was wondering about the sizing.

Studley

DJ’s Timber
10th April 2007, 05:32 PM
Ok everyone, have sorted out the blanks that I have received from everyone.

Everyone ended up with 20 blanks on average.

I will PM everyone with their cost of postage and my bank details or address for money order/cheque

I have also thrown in some Fiddleback Redgum (dry), Olive (still a little green), Black Sheoak that I scored recently (wet as) and Poplar (dry).

Shown from left to right
mobrien 4 bits, studleys lot, 2 jarrahs from chesand and my lot

DJ’s Timber
16th April 2007, 10:51 PM
Have posted everyones blanks today and a couple had delivery right up to the front door

lubbing5cherubs
16th April 2007, 11:06 PM
Cool Dj ...Thanks
Toni

ScrollZilla
16th April 2007, 11:34 PM
G'day y'all,
I got my blanks this weekend. Wow, it was so cool. My daughter and I ran upstairs, ripped open the bag, dumped them on the floor and started going through them all feeling and smelling the wood. It was like Christmas came early.
Thanks so much to everybody who donated, and DJ for taking on the huge task of sorting and posting. Will be posting lots of pics soon.

Cheers,

Rick

Touchwood
16th April 2007, 11:51 PM
G'day y'all,
I got my blanks this weekend. Wow, it was so cool. My daughter and I ran upstairs, ripped open the bag, dumped them on the floor and started going through them all feeling and smelling the wood. It was like Christmas came early.
Thanks so much to everybody who donated, and DJ for taking on the huge task of sorting and posting. Will be posting lots of pics soon.

Cheers,

Rick

wow .. now I have seen everything,... DJ posted blanks on the 16th in
Victoria Australia, and ScrollZilla is opening thiem in Nebraska USA on the 16th!!!! Am I missing something????:? :? :?

JD

DJ’s Timber
17th April 2007, 12:16 AM
wow .. now I have seen everything,... DJ posted blanks on the 16th in
Victoria Australia, and ScrollZilla is opening thiem in Nebraska USA on the 16th!!!! Am I missing something????:? :? :?

JD

Hi JD

Nuh your not missing anything :doh:.

I actually did a deal with ScrollZilla and posted his lot off last week on Wed the 11th and he got them Sat the 14th our time. It seems International postage is quicker than national postage

Touchwood
17th April 2007, 12:46 AM
I think those pigeons should be tested for performance enhancing drugs ... that is fast in anyones language!

JD

ScrollZilla
17th April 2007, 01:13 AM
I think it might have had something to do with the international date line/time zone continuum thing lol.

lubbing5cherubs
17th April 2007, 09:44 AM
No Rick it because once it leaves here it get to repeat the day again. gives it a headstart.....lol (btw did that camphor laurel clear your head when smelling it)
Toni

Studley 2436
17th April 2007, 11:32 AM
Good to hear people have got stuff and are set to use it. Much better than sitting in a bucket in my shed.

Scrolzilla will be really interested to hear how you find our Aussie woods and how they compare with the timber you have there. Not to say one is better than the other but for sure they are different. Will be nice to hear about that.

Studley

ScrollZilla
17th April 2007, 03:19 PM
G'day Y'all,
Actually, the camphor laurel was not very strong to me, but it was really bothering my wife.
As for comparing Australian wood to "northern" wood, it is so completely new to me it is mind boggling. I am going to seriously enjoy working with this wood.

Rick

PenTurner
17th April 2007, 05:28 PM
Received mine thank you, I will need to guess on what some of the wood is. Thanks Amos

DJ’s Timber
17th April 2007, 05:34 PM
Hi Amos, good to hear that you have received your blanks.

If you lay out your blanks grouping the the same timbers together and take a photo, we can identify them for you and others, seeing that we now the species, just need to know which is which.

rona
17th April 2007, 07:24 PM
Hello John,

Pen Blanks arrived in the mail today, all safe and sound.
A good selection of timbers, will turn up nicely. Camphor OK,
By some of the comments I thought it may have been stronger, but will be perfect.

Thanks again,

Kind Regards,

Ron.

+++++++++++++++++++

DJ’s Timber
17th April 2007, 07:28 PM
By some of the comments I thought it may have been stronger

Wait till you start turning it, the smell will really hit you then :U

chrisb691
17th April 2007, 07:33 PM
Got my blanks today. A HUGE thanks to all involved. :)

WillyInBris
17th April 2007, 08:44 PM
How the hell did I miss the thread, oh well cant wait to see your works ladies and gents.

You deserve a medal DJ for what you have done.

fred.n
17th April 2007, 08:55 PM
Got mine today
Thanks to all concerned
still waiting on parts for the lathe, will post some VERY average pics when I've done a few
Thanks again :2tsup:

PenTurner
17th April 2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks DJ, here is photo of the wood laid out.
ps is there anyway of having a camphor pen that allows the camphor smell to be present?? because if you seal it with any polish the smell dissappears! Amos

lubbing5cherubs
17th April 2007, 10:45 PM
would shellawax let it remain with some of it smell?
not real sure there Amos. Hope someone will be able to help you and me out.
Toni

DJ’s Timber
17th April 2007, 10:54 PM
Ok from what I could see I think I have got them right, the ones on the right that I have labeled S/G and stringy is more likely to be 2 lots and not all the same so have a close look to see which ones are abit different.

The Sydney Bluegum may not be correct, should be a bit lighter in color than redgum or similar to mahogany.

As for the camphor smell, I think the only way to keep the smell is to not seal it or use anything at all not even EEE. Regardless of what you do the smell will eventually dissipate unless you keep exposing or scratching a new surface

TK1
18th April 2007, 10:45 AM
HI,

Thanks DJ and all involved in making this happen. Got my blanks last night, what a great selection. Looking forward to getting into the shed on the weekend and turning a few to see how they go.

Thanks again for everyone's generosity, hopefully I can contribute in the future if this sort of thing happens again.

Regards,
Darren

PenTurner
18th April 2007, 11:21 AM
DJ, I think you missed or I missed something from your answer, would it be possible to start from the left and give me what you think they are? Thanks Amos
thanks also for the Camphor advice, I think the best you could do is polish naturally up to 15000, but if the smell goes away anyway then may as well finish it fully with EEE and CA etc. Amos

DJ’s Timber
18th April 2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Amos

I have written the species on the timber in the photo

tashammer
18th April 2007, 11:49 AM
i wonder how long they will take to get to Tasmania. Sometimes i think things come via lobster express and it's a long walk.

PenTurner
18th April 2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks DJ, as for me:doh: :doh: :doh: Amos

PenTurner
18th April 2007, 01:53 PM
TASMANIA!:o is there an actual place called that?? I think I will look at the atlas:D :U Amos

tashammer
18th April 2007, 06:22 PM
terrible to see what old age will do to a bloke, ain't it. 59 and over the hill. Poor old geezer (Amos) and never even got past the middle pub. :)

PenTurner
18th April 2007, 09:35 PM
DJ, here is a better picture of the dubious origin wood, maybe you can write on them again,!? thanks Am:) :)os

DJ’s Timber
18th April 2007, 09:50 PM
No worries Amos

lubbing5cherubs
18th April 2007, 10:03 PM
can't wait til mine arrives. hopefully tommorrow
Toni

clubbyr8
19th April 2007, 06:33 AM
Got mine yesterday, thanks TJ :2tsup: :2tsup:

PenTurner
19th April 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks DJ, and thanks for all the effort you have put into this mail out. Amos:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
20th April 2007, 08:31 PM
Santa arrived here today. Thanks
Toni

tashammer
20th April 2007, 08:35 PM
ditto, Daddy Claws fronted up and brought me a nice bag of woodlies. I reckon someone shook the buggery outa the bag cos they were sticking out every which way. The good thing was the musical sounds of plinking wood just like an all wood wind chime :-)

Touchwood
20th April 2007, 09:55 PM
Looks like all the far points of the country were reached today - thanks DJ, Studley 2436 ,mobrien AND Chesand for your generosity and time!

Two more days of holiday then back to work :( ... but two days to play first!!:D mmm I could REALLY get use to holidays ...

JD

tashammer
21st April 2007, 01:49 AM
it's like getting a bag of treasure. <grin>

Simomatra
21st April 2007, 09:19 AM
Wow came home Thursday and they arrived that day

Many thanks to all that made this happen I will have to have alook what I can put in the next one of these

Barry_White
22nd April 2007, 08:05 PM
Mine arrived Friday. What Sam said.

swiftden
28th April 2007, 01:35 AM
got mine yesterday . all looks great thanks alot .

Studley 2436
28th June 2007, 11:53 AM
Well has anyone made a pen as yet out of this stuff?

I wonder if anyone could help me out as SWMBO has said she would like a nice pen?

Cheers

Stephen

Touchwood
28th June 2007, 12:51 PM
More than happy to help out with a pen - if you can wait one week until holidays

JD

Studley 2436
28th June 2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks very much JD. PM me to let me know how much

Studley

Penpal
28th June 2007, 05:54 PM
I can but presume the reference to the Studio is yours.In a former life I was a photographer and a life member of the AIPP,for many years I was on the Executive of the Institute,one memorable meeting was the Annual Awards in Adelaide and I was a judge in the Awards,then a meeting in Ularu,we met as the exec on the Ghan train to Alice Springs,then on to a Conference at the brand new Hotel at Ularu. One close friend Kevin ODaley if you meet up with him give him my warmest regards to him and his brother and families.Brought back some fantastic memories.

With baby pics my wife and I always worked together on portraits using a square padded box to seat the baby with one of us clutching the baby from behind,never trusting the mums who used to get carried away with the process and forget to support their baby.Loved every minute of the Studio life,this was when colour was new and all portraits were in black and white and hand coloured.Then we took colour weddings etc. I was a stringer for four television stations and used tw 16mm Bolex cameras for news items,I filmed news stuff of Goulburn and districts wrote the script posted the film to Sydney Wollongong and Canberra as well as the ABC for 10 dollars commercial and 35 dollars ABC plus a small mileage allowance.

So much for the 70,s just wish to note your generosity and how so many can participate on the forum on these occasions. Well done Peter:2tsup:

Penpal
28th June 2007, 06:22 PM
You are a Brick just to get the spelling right,in my humble opinion you all the recipients should give the two guys,the three givers and the sorter postman a pen for thankyou even if they say no and be as quick as to do this as to request blanks,this is is what makes the world go round.

All the best to the givers and workers. Very kind of you Peter:2tsup: :2tsup:

Studley 2436
29th June 2007, 12:25 PM
Very interesting to hear about how things were in the past Peter.

I guess my biggest interest at this point is to see some of the stuff people made with all this.

Studley