PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp animation video...first crack..

martrix
19th March 2007, 03:44 PM
So I just nutted out how to do basic animation. Don't ask me how to do it, as I only just worked it out myself..All I can say is that its not too hard, but I'm sure it gets harder the more complex you want it and how much clearer you can get it.

I put it on youtube but its still processing, so hopefully its better quality than this photobucket one that seems to do a good job of trashing video.:C
Turn your sound on....:D :cool:

SketchUp video animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4bL0jfXUA)

DJ’s Timber
19th March 2007, 03:52 PM
Looks great Martrix :2tsup: I was expecting a drawer to slide open or one of the cupboards to open and shut :o

martrix
19th March 2007, 03:55 PM
Looks great Martrix :2tsup: I was expecting a drawer to slide open or one of the cupboards to open and shut :o
Yep, I will be playing with those kinds of things next. I think its doable..:cool:

Barry_White
19th March 2007, 03:56 PM
That's pretty cool Martrix. Hey DJS give him time he'll probably work that out. He's the Master.

martrix
19th March 2007, 05:54 PM
OK, if you go back to my first post I have changed the link to the youtube version and it is better quality.

I have done another quick one which is much better quality....oh, if you've got a good stereo setup, turn it up:D :rolleyes: :q . This is fun:U .

Second animation, better quality video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ0MZExoMZE)

DJ’s Timber
19th March 2007, 06:21 PM
Looking good Martrix, crap music thought :q :U

martrix
29th March 2007, 12:29 PM
Looking good Martrix, crap music thought :q :U
:rolleyes:

How bout this one then. More your style?:D

Redgum Entertainment unit animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6PKF0ODZuI)

Warning: you will be exposed to Mozart:q ...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/th_tonylcabrender.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/tonylcabrender.jpg)

Wild Dingo
29th March 2007, 02:41 PM
Mate... I guess you know this already but man you have too much time on your hands! :doh: :U

As for sketchup... well all I can say is you got more flamin patience with that program than I have gunga din :roll:

ozwinner
29th March 2007, 09:25 PM
Ding, Sketchup is easy once you get past the basics. :cool:

If I can do it, anyone can. :p

Al :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
29th March 2007, 10:01 PM

Now that more my style not :no: :U

Looks neat dude, now all you gotta do is make the drawers slide open & shut :;

Wild Dingo
30th March 2007, 12:48 PM
Ding, Sketchup is easy once you get past the basics. :cool:

If I can do it, anyone can. :p

Im guessin from my plays with it that it has an internal patience required chip inserted eh? :roll: I guess youve more patience than I eh :; I just dont get the thing :~

martrix
30th March 2007, 01:09 PM
Im guessin from my plays with it that it has an internal patience required chip inserted eh? :roll: I guess youve more patience than I eh :; I just dont get the thing :~

Gday Ding, have you tried any of the tutorials?

Have a go of these. (http://sketchup.google.com/sptutorials.html)

zenwood
17th April 2007, 04:51 PM

Redgum Entertainment unit animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6PKF0ODZuI)

Warning: you will be exposed to Mozart:q ...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/th_tonylcabrender.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/tonylcabrender.jpg)

I'd be interested to know how you got the soft lighting effect there, martrix.

martrix
17th April 2007, 07:28 PM
I'd be interested to know how you got the soft lighting effect there, martrix.

Hi Zen, are you familiar with the plugin Podium?

The cabinet is actually in a room with 3 walls and a ceiling. To get the soft lighting effect, I added some 'lighting' value to the ceiling surface so it reflected some light to everything below.

clears as mud?:D :C

zenwood
17th April 2007, 11:57 PM
Hi Zen, are you familiar with the plugin Podium? . . . To get the soft lighting effect, I added some 'lighting' value to the ceiling surface No, I'm not familiar with Podium. Is that what allows you do give objects 'lighting values'?

Do you use the Pro version of Sketchup or the freebie?

martrix
18th April 2007, 12:10 AM
No, I'm not familiar with Podium. Is that what allows you do give objects 'lighting values'?

Do you use the Pro version of Sketchup or the freebie?

I use the free version 6.0.

You can download Podium from the plugins located in the Sticky thread at the top of the SketchUp forum.

The picture you see is just that, a small rendering of what you have in front of the screen. You cant rotate around it or anything like normal, as it just takes a shot of what is on screen and renders it to look life-like into a jpeg.
In Podium, you can give certain surfaces lproperties like how reflective a surface is. The lighting part I'm not so sure on except for using it on the ceiling to bounce light like I previously explained.
There is also a few tutorials on the podium website which I highly recommend going through to make sense of it.

Wild Dingo
2nd May 2007, 08:11 PM
That plug in only lasts till July 1 Martrix then your gonna have to buy it eh?... mmm wonder if theres a freeby lighting one around somewhere?... its the wee scottish bean in me heinz 52 bean variety self comin out here :doh:

Worth a looksee so down it comes!! :;

martrix
2nd May 2007, 09:01 PM
That plug in only lasts till July 1 Martrix then your gonna have to buy it eh?... mmm wonder if theres a freeby lighting one around somewhere?... its the wee scottish bean in me heinz 52 bean variety self comin out here :doh:

Worth a looksee so down it comes!! :;

Yeah, I think its already run out. I'm sure I can download it again, or just find another freebie.

groovemachine
3rd May 2007, 01:21 PM
Matrix,

I have just started playing with schetchup and having problems trying to activate the construction lines as shown in the tutorials when using the tape measure, I'm also having difficulties with trying to activate lines perpendicular and parallel

It might be a setting i can not find or is it the free version excluded from these functions?

martrix
3rd May 2007, 08:40 PM
Matrix,

I have just started playing with schetchup and having problems trying to activate the construction lines as shown in the tutorials when using the tape measure, I'm also having difficulties with trying to activate lines perpendicular and parallel

It might be a setting i can not find or is it the free version excluded from these functions?

er, me too:doh: .

I never use them anyway. I do use the construction points (the little crosses) but not the lines as I never got them to work.

Maybe someone else knows how to use them?

Brown Dog
3rd May 2007, 11:51 PM
hi GM
I like to use construction lines all the time....I dont think I could draw in sketchup without them. very handy

I think the first thing you should check is in the "view" menu make sure "guides" is ticked....this hides and unhides the construction lines, maybe you are using em but just cant see em:)

If guides is ticked...how do you want to use the lines ?

A quick example

to draw a parellel line select the "tape measure" make sure it has the + sign next to it (press ctrl) then click on the line you want draw parallel to, move the cursor to the side of the line you want and then enter the distance in the box in the right hand corner.

hope this helps

cheers BD
:2tsup:

martrix
4th May 2007, 12:01 AM
Hi BD, can you try another explanation.

No matter what I try, I cant get any construction lines. I can get construction points, but no lines.:C Guides are on.

Maybe there is some setting I changed somewhere?

Brown Dog
4th May 2007, 09:50 AM
Hi matrix

that is weird ,now you have me baffled:? . Maybe there is a setting somewhere...I have had a look but cant find anything.

So if you draw a simple square.

Select the tape mesure.

Hit "Ctrl" till the little + sign is next to the tape measure cursor

Move that cursor over a line, you should see a little coloured square (red or cyan ) on the line and a little box that says "on edge" or "midpoint". Dont select an end point (green indicator) you wont get a parallel line just a point to point line

left click in that spot

now when you move the cursor a dotted line, that is parallel to the line in the object you selected, should follow and the little box next to the tape measure will display the distance from the point you selected. You can either click again to place the construction line or enter the distance you want in the little box in the lower right hand corner.

if you have tried that and it doesnt work there must be something else wrong:? ...I tried that exact example and it works in my sketchup.

hope this helps...good luck

cheers
BD:2tsup:

martrix
7th May 2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the help BD. I tried that one too, but no luck.

I un-installed everything SU, and installed the new version. Construction lines work properly now, and there is no secret to get them to work.:doh:

The plugin I had installed was now also shutting down the program, so something had gone wrong with the program in general. All good now.:)

groovemachine
8th May 2007, 11:54 AM
I might have to do the same, I'm still having trouble with it.

martrix
8th May 2007, 12:47 PM
I might have to do the same, I'm still having trouble with it.

um, me too now.

Its really weird. I reinstalled it and the construction lines worked straight off.

Shut down the program, then restart it up and bang construction lines have disappeared again but the points are still there. It like the lines are not visible for some reason. They are there, just not visible.

I have reinstalled the program a number of times and the same thing happens. C/lines are there for the first run of the program, then disappear next time you open SU.

The other bizarre point, is that I have SU on a comp in the next room, and there are no problems with the construction lines at all.:? :? :((

Maybe its a RAM/Memory problem?

Might have to shoot this problem off to Google themselves.:~

groovemachine
8th May 2007, 02:34 PM
I reinstalled it and yes finally i got the construction lines working. I then proceeded to down load the Bonuses and guess what...... no construction lines anymore... weird.

I'm having a go at the making of a sphere but it's turning out as a donut instead. I'm doing something wrong and struggling. I think its when i'm trying to rotate the copied circle, but not sure... any thoughts?

martrix
8th May 2007, 03:02 PM
I reinstalled it and yes finally i got the construction lines working. I then proceeded to down load the Bonuses and guess what...... no construction lines anymore... weird.

I'm having a go at the making of a sphere but it's turning out as a donut instead. I'm doing something wrong and struggling. I think its when i'm trying to rotate the copied circle, but not sure... any thoughts?

Yeah, I think I will ask Google people whats going on.

Are you trying to do a sphere like this?

How are you going about it?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=45609&stc=1&d=1178596923

Brown Dog
8th May 2007, 03:08 PM
Sounds like you guys have something that loads when sketchup starts...are you sure you deleted everything to to with sketchup before reinstalling ?

GM
this is how i would draw a sphere

fist draw the circle that u want to extrude, then draw a line from one edge to the other throught the centre. delete one half... so you have a semi circle

Next draw another circle 90 degrees to the first (this circle has the same centre as the first circle but is perpendicular)....this will be the path the extrusion follows.

with the select tool (arrow on tool bar) select the path circle..then click the follow me tool and click on the semi circle you drew... you should now get a sphere...

this will let you draw any circular design you design like...see the pic for an example

hope this helps

ozwinner
8th May 2007, 05:56 PM
Sounds like you guys have something that loads when sketchup starts...are you sure you deleted everything to to with sketchup before reinstalling ?

GM
this is how i would draw a sphere

fist draw the circle that u want to extrude, then draw a line from one edge to the other throught the centre. delete one half... so you have a semi circle

Next draw another circle 90 degrees to the first (this circle has the same centre as the first circle but is perpendicular)....this will be the path the extrusion follows.

with the select tool (arrow on tool bar) select the path circle..then click the follow me tool and click on the semi circle you drew... you should now get a sphere...

this will let you draw any circular design you design like...see the pic for an example

hope this helps

Greenie launched BD..

You blokes are good.

groovemachine
10th May 2007, 01:21 PM
yes i tried to complete a sphere as per the tutorial. I like the way you have done it by using a semi circle as your extruded pattern. nice work...

I must have a setting that is causing conflict with rotate. everything is fine until i try to rotate my copied circle. I like your way which eliminates the rotate and copy sequence.

groovemachine
10th May 2007, 01:57 PM
BD

I had a go with your sphere instructions and was bang on. I also tried it without cutting the first circle in half and just selecting the whole circle then clicking on follow me on the perpendicular circle and worked as well.

Questions for the professionals.........
1.how do you remove the man at start up... driving me nuts... i know its a setting or template setting but having difficulty removing him.

2.Once completed the sphere i wish to merge it with another object such as a box then remove the sphere but leave an indent in the box. Like biting an apple if that makes sense.

groovemachine
10th May 2007, 03:05 PM
Now you've done it B.D .......I should get back to work.:2tsup:

martrix
10th May 2007, 03:11 PM
Questions for the professionals.........
1.how do you remove the man at start up... driving me nuts... i know its a setting or template setting but having difficulty removing him.

2.Once completed the sphere i wish to merge it with another object such as a box then remove the sphere but leave an indent in the box. Like biting an apple if that makes sense.

Theres probably a setting but I haven't looked. Just press spacebar> drag a box around him to highlight> press delete on your keyboard.

I had a go at the cut out of a box. Bit of stuffing around, but I think there is an easy way.

Will have a play while watching the footy show. The one on the top right looks a bit like the deathstar.:C :D ....:cool:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=45770&stc=1&d=1178770401

martrix
10th May 2007, 03:51 PM
Milquetoast video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0pyJdnWGiY)

groovemachine
10th May 2007, 03:57 PM
Got it!!!!

To merge once object are in place go to edit then select intersect, then choose intersect with model..

use the arrow key to select the object you want to remove press delete on key board then clean up with eraser

Happy days!!...:U

martrix
10th May 2007, 10:57 PM
cool, you taught me something.:2tsup: Haven't used the intersect tool before.

Greenie for you.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=45811&stc=1&d=1178798184

Tried a few renderings with a trial copy of Renderplus. Don't like it too much, plus it leaves the watermarks everywhere.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=45827&stc=1&d=1178808954

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=45828&stc=1&d=1178808954

martrix
11th May 2007, 12:32 AM
....another video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSKao3p2LZA) of the pic above.

martrix
19th June 2009, 06:06 PM
YouTube - Sketchup animation, lathe cutter