PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good Buy?

himzol
23rd March 2007, 02:32 PM
Hi People

Just wondering if this is a good buy. It looks from the photo like an MC900 and if the price stays pretty stable I might be tempted.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/36-X12-WOOD-LATHE-WITH-REVERSIBLE-HEAD-STAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ250096117926QQcategoryZ11810QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

thank you in advance,

Himzo.

Cliff Rogers
23rd March 2007, 03:16 PM
If it stays around $280 but it depends on the freight, can you pick it up?

It looks like the option 2 that somebody from the US asked about a couple of weeks ago.

himzol
23rd March 2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks Cliff,

I don't have a problem with pick up as there "warehouse" is in Adelaide, and I guess if it stays near $280 I might be tempted.

Just had a look at the other thread you mentioned, what would have been option three if there was one? you didn't seem happy with eithr of the two options given.

Himzo

Cliff Rogers
24th March 2007, 09:08 AM
Something a bit more solid.

I have had (still have some) about 6 or 7 lathes & the light ones are a bit disappointing.

Even the cast ones, I still have a combination machine that has very light casting & tube bars, I don't use the lathe function any longer.

I have a Jet Mini (not the real small pen lathe) & a Vicmarc VL300.
When I am at home I always use the Vicmarc because it is so solid & it has electronic variable speed.
I use the Jet when I go away as it is easy to pack in the back of the car.
I'd like the variable speed version of the Jet, I think I would use it more often then.

So I guess the answer is a Jet with electronic variable speed (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107219987). :2tsup:

himzol
24th March 2007, 10:06 AM
THanks for that.

H.

himzol
5th April 2007, 08:44 PM
O.K. I've baught the bloody thing, I've put it together and it works like it's supposed to I guess.

Now what the hell do I do? I haven't turned anything since highschool and then whenever I was turning a bowl :doh: Chip out.....

Teacher:" whats that your making Himzo?"
Me: " errrrrr it's an ashtray sir":roll: :roll:

I'm sure they thought that was what stunted my growth.:U

Anybody suggest a simple begginers project?

Himzo

rsser
5th April 2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats; you're anchored now ;-}

Suggest turning cylinders out of pine first. Then coves, v cuts, shoulders and beads. Do a Google on Brian Clifford's online intro to turning.

Good practice even if you never turn a pepper grinder; all these cuts will build your confidence and will be used in faceplate turning as well.

(Shoot, I'm starting to sound like Hickory).

Bruce101
5th April 2007, 11:02 PM
Don't know about the lathe your looking at, or mini's in particular, but I have a Jet 1442 and it's the best purchase I ever made. It's substantial, good easy headstock movement, a reasonable speed range and best of all, all the locking mechanics work !!!

(but mind, my wood turning skills & experience is still 'at the nappy stage'.)

Cheers!.

Mobil Man
6th April 2007, 02:00 AM
Himzol, Try Woodcraft.com. Over on the right of their home page-about half way down- you'll find project videos that are very helpful. Turning a bowl, goblet etc. & using diff tools. Also "woodworkingonline.com. Lot more good stuff.

himzol
6th April 2007, 07:02 AM
Himzol, Try Woodcraft.com. Over on the right of their home page-about half way down- you'll find project videos that are very helpful. Turning a bowl, goblet etc. & using diff tools. Also "woodworkingonline.com. Lot more good stuff.

Thanks,

I'll give those a go.

Himzo.