PDA

View Full Version : Elm Hollow Form

Old Arn
25th March 2007, 04:00 PM
Pic 1:
I found a beautiful piece of Elm with a large crotch in it on the side of the road yesterday, took it home and started turning another hat. I got it all shaped last night, took a plastic bag and filled it with wood shavings, put it over the turning and went to bed. This morning I was going to get the brim thinned down and start hollowing so I took the bag off of it and noticed the damn brim had split ... Major bummer.

So I broke off the brim and turned it into a hollow form. Its about 7" high and 7" wide, hollowed to an 1/8th throughout. Sanded to 1200 grit, finished with a wipe on poly, White Diamond and carnauba wax.

Pic 2:
Kind of an ugly little hollow form but the more I look at it the more I like it, its different. It looks real good sitting inside the Ugly Bowl I posted a while back :rolleyes: ... lol.
The wood is Box Elder burl 6" tall, 5" wide. Sanded to 1200 grit, soaked with BLO, polished with White Diamond and buffed with carnauba wax.

Comments/critques always welcome,

Shane

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th March 2007, 04:49 PM
Nice timber. Bloody nice indeed! Even the ugly one. And you Yanks are always moaning about how we got the woods... :rolleyes::p

Somehow I think the hat was always destined to be a hollow form... the form shows the grain off to excellent advantage and I just can't visualise a hat setting it off quite so well. 'Tis always a pity when you can't do what you planned, but sometimes it's for the best.

Mind you, if you discover you're reminded of your "failure" every time you look at it, I've a vacant shelf here where you can store it out of your sight... :wink:

Doughboy
25th March 2007, 05:02 PM
Looking good Shane.

Beeeeeaaaaaaaaaudiful timber. As for it not turning out the way you had envisaged I think it is called evolution during revolution! Somehow these things just turn out for the best.

Very nice indeedy.

Pete

Jim Carroll
25th March 2007, 06:32 PM
Very nice shane.:2tsup:

Remember there is always plan B

Jackson
26th March 2007, 02:45 AM
Nice timbers Arn - and nice turning. I'm going to show my ignorance here. What is that about shvings in a plastic bag placed over the work piece. I'm assuming its a stabilising method for green timber but I've not seen it, at least not for timber left on the lathe.

Cheers

Old Arn
26th March 2007, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone :U

...What is that about shvings in a plastic bag placed over the work piece. I'm assuming its a stabilising method for green timber but I've not seen it, at least not for timber left on the lathe.
Jackson I just did it to keep the green wood from drying out while it sat overnight. I usually put a bag over any green turning that I can't finish right away. For some reason with this one I threw in a bunch of woodchips hoping that it would help ... It didn't :C I probably would of been better off without the chips cause I think they pulled the moisture out of the piece. I should of just put the bag over the piece, squeezed all the air out and then seal it.

Cliff Rogers
26th March 2007, 10:28 AM
Good stuff, you won't have any problem finding somebody to give them away to. :2tsup:

Gil Jones
26th March 2007, 01:59 PM
Fine work, Shane!!
It is very curious how the timber attempts to lead us in the proper direction;
all we need do is listen.

OGYT
26th March 2007, 02:10 PM
Very nice pieces, Shane. :iagree: You did well. I think it's better this way... that hollowform would really look stupid with a brim. :rofl:
Shane, I have a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of clear Liquid soap and water in it, that I spray the piece before I bag it. It works very well.