PDA

View Full Version : Advice please Stubby F400 or Vicmarc VL175?

DoctorBobski
26th March 2007, 01:56 PM
Hi. I'm new to the site but would greatly appreciate some input. I haven't turned since high school but have been given permission to get a lathe for my 30th. I have a budget of around $3000 for the lathe. (Extra monies set aside for chucks, chisels, safety gear, bandsaw, drill) I've done a far bit of research and have settled on either an Omega Stubby F400 (swing 400, centres 500, 1 hp motor) or the Vicmarc VL175 bench mount 1hp or 1.5 hp. I plan on doing some pens, smallish bowls, want to try hollow forms and may do a few chair legs. Figured these two choices should cover it but I'm open to other suggestions. Will a 1hp motor suffice??? All comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

rsser
26th March 2007, 07:09 PM
Yes, 1hp should be fine for your intentions. Even if you go for larger bowls it will do what you want if you take your time.

The major diff between your two choices is in bed length and swing with the Vicmarc clearly ahead. And with the swivel head and outrigger you can do serious damage to some timber. For that reason it would appear the better choice.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th March 2007, 07:26 PM
I like the Stubby, but for "general" work Ern is spot on and the Vicmarc is more versatile.

You mention maybe turning some chair-legs? Well, with a swivel-head you'll also be able to turn small, round table-tops. eg. for hallway tables. You'd need to start of at slow rev, but 1HP is enough to keep 'er spinning once it's up to suitable speed... it doesn't weigh much after all, it's just an awkward size.

(Even my clunky ol' MC-900 can do this. Swivel heads are a definite plus! :D)

DJ’s Timber
26th March 2007, 08:59 PM
Can't really comment on the Omega F400 as I haven't used that model but they are well manufactured if there other machines that I have played on are anything to go by it should be a good solid machine.

I have done a couple of demos on the VL 175 and would have to say she is nice machine and packs a decent punch for the size. The swivel head is easy to operate and is a nice solid girl.

For the price I would probably go for the Vicmarc as you would be able to do longer spindle turning and decent size platters with the swivel head

DoctorBobski
27th March 2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm very glad I came across this forum as it's been a huge help in researching and I'm sure it will be of further help after my purchase. I'm thinking I'll wait till the timber and woodworking show in brisbane next month to see if I can get a bit of a better deal than the online prices. Thanks again.

rsser
27th March 2007, 08:04 AM
Good luck DB.

Some folk have got a Vicmarc from Carbatec at below sticker price btw so it's worth ringing around too. I imagine it will be hard to get a discount on the Stubby though.

andrewsd
27th March 2007, 04:11 PM
Definitely go the Vicmarc. I have a 300 at home and have used the smaller model for a week, a couple of months ago, and found it to be excellent too. you won't be sorry.