PDA

View Full Version : April Pen Blank Swap

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 05:55 PM
Getting to that time of the month again :U.

Have started to get the blanks together this arvo and will have them ready to post in the next few days.

Carrying the list on from last month we have

Simomatra
Skew ChiDAMN!!
Touchwood
Lubbing5Cherubs
djstimber
stuart
Fireman Sam
BernieP
Humber
Dai Sensei
Terry B
Rodent

I have everyones address bar 1, which is Humber. Will send you a PM for address.

Anyone else wanting to join in, please indicate in this thread and then PM me your Full Name and Address.

Edit: Have cut timber up now after going thru my stacks of timber.

Will be sending out Plum and Cherry with some Blackwood for creative ideas :U.

The Theme for this month will be Fruity :roll: to match the timber :;

dai sensei
27th March 2007, 06:16 PM
Hmm, that reminds me, better make a start on my March pens :C , I'm always running behind these days.

So what's the theme, timber etc?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th March 2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah, it's like that isn't it Neil. [sigh]

I actually started cutting up today, but as soon as I opened the glue... instant headache! :( Recently I've been getting instant migraines as soon as I open some glues or finishes... I'm sincerely hoping it's not the start of an overexposure allergy! Here's hoping there's not too much gluing involved in this next swap... thank God I'm not into segmented bowls in a big way! :oo:

(Mind you, to ease the aches I spent the arvo turning a winged bowl from a crapiata laminate beam instead. I love my placebos! :p)

dai sensei
27th March 2007, 07:04 PM
Recently I've been getting instant migraines as soon as I open some glues or finishes... I'm sincerely hoping it's not the start of an overexposure allergy :p)

Sounds like its time to get a decent mask, one for fumes, not just the dust.

lubbing5cherubs
27th March 2007, 07:06 PM
Can you cut me out of this months one behind. Not feeling the best at the moment.
Thanks Toni

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 07:26 PM
:aro-u: Have added more info to original post:aro-u:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th March 2007, 07:42 PM
Fruity? That theme will fit in well with all the nuts around here. :D

Humber
27th March 2007, 08:33 PM
Hi DJ,
Got your PM, reply coming this evening. Organic and now Fruity - geez you blokes come up with some pearlers. Oops! This weekend I will have to get into the March pen - have been a little busy this month.
Regards
Humber

yaryetnom
27th March 2007, 08:55 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the dumb question but what is this thread about.

Ray

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 09:14 PM
G'day Ray

Every month someone sends everyone on the list enough timber to make 2 pens. Those people then try to make the pen according to the theme that the donor has set.

One of those pens is then sold with the proceeds going to charity. You either sell it or post it to someone who will sell it or donate it on your behalf. The second pen is yours to do whatever you want.

You have to supply your own kits.

If you do a search thru the Penturning section using the names of the months back thru to June?? '06, you will see some of the pens done and where some ending up going.

yaryetnom
27th March 2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks DJ I will have a look

Ray

Terry B
28th March 2007, 12:19 AM
Yeah, it's like that isn't it Neil. [sigh]

I actually started cutting up today, but as soon as I opened the glue... instant headache! :( Recently I've been getting instant migraines as soon as I open some glues or finishes... I'm sincerely hoping it's not the start of an overexposure allergy! Here's hoping there's not too much gluing involved in this next swap... thank God I'm not into segmented bowls in a big way! :oo:

(Mind you, to ease the aches I spent the arvo turning a winged bowl from a crapiata laminate beam instead. I love my placebos! :p)
Skew, Just stop using CA!!!!!
I t isn't worth the stink or headache.
I have nearly finished gluing up this months. Just a few more bits to go. I am using external PVA and it has no smell and I leave it overnight between each further gluings.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th March 2007, 12:49 AM
Skew, Just stop using CA!!!!!

Not using CA, already given that up as a bad joke, 'cept when it really needs to be used. It's epoxy's & polyU's that're getting me now. :( At least I can still work with Tung Oil, Shellawax and PVA. [fingers Xed]

It isn't worth the stink or headache.

You got that right! :D

soundman
29th March 2007, 02:32 PM
put me on the list too.
I'll catch up soon.
cheers

DJ’s Timber
29th March 2007, 11:15 PM
put me on the list too.
I'll catch up soon.
cheers

Done.

Have packaged all the blanks and will post off in the morning :2tsup:.

As said before 1 each of Plum and Cherry with 3 pieces of Blackwood in various thicknesses

tashammer
29th March 2007, 11:21 PM
Plum? what sort of plum would that be? I just cut down a cherryplum tree (little one) and was wondering what to do with it.

DJ’s Timber
29th March 2007, 11:26 PM
Tash, Plum is prone to cracking badly as it dries out. Wack some endgrain sealer on it quicksmart and even splitting it down the pith asap will help too

tashammer
29th March 2007, 11:29 PM
good oh djs , thanks mate.:)

ScrollZilla
29th March 2007, 11:51 PM
I had one of those I had to take out last year. I was so excited about having new pen blank stock, however, most of the wood was rotted on the inside :( Good luck

Rick

DJ’s Timber
30th March 2007, 07:41 PM
Blanks have been posted.

Anyone else wanting to join just send me a PM

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th March 2007, 10:02 PM
Mine turned up today. :D:wink:

DJ’s Timber
30th March 2007, 10:05 PM
Now how did yours get there before I even got to the post office :o.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th March 2007, 10:19 PM
I think they hitched a ride with Rodent's ones. :p

Humber
2nd April 2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks DJ,
Received mine in post today. Guess I had best do the March ones soon. Looks like a couple of days out of the Easter weekend will be spent in the shed.

Simomatra
2nd April 2007, 10:21 PM
Drool drool it will be at least 18 days before I even see mine:(

Touchwood
4th April 2007, 12:50 AM
:D :D Mine arrived today ...:D :D AND you managed to get them through the post office for $1.00 - would you like the stamp back, it didn't get franked!!!

The plum has amazing growth definition marks - cold winter I guess.

thanks
JD

Studley 2436
4th April 2007, 01:06 AM
Fruity? That theme will fit in well with all the nuts around here. :D
fruity???

I tell you what there is some Blackbutt in there that has gum vein in it which will drive whoever gets it fruity.

Mind you if they manage to turn it without having it fly to bits and killing half the suburb they will be labelled genius, I am sure it will look sensational if a bit of epoxy or some such is stuck on it prior to turning.

Studley

Fireman sam
4th April 2007, 10:20 PM
Mine arrived to day :D :2tsup:
Andrew

Terry B
5th April 2007, 01:57 PM
Mine have turned up. The pigeon to northern NSW isn't too slow.:U

BernieP
10th April 2007, 01:07 PM
G'Day DJ

Sorry to have taken so long to confirm receipt, but have been busy trying to change my internet provider, got tired of talking to people in India evertime something went wrong with Optus. Anyway great wood.

Cheers
Bernie