PDA

View Full Version : Reverse on a Lathe

lubbing5cherubs
27th March 2007, 06:36 PM
Gidday I was going to high jack Doughboy thread and ask this but I thought I post it here. Can you please tell me what is the idea of reverse? Why do you want it and what for? (as you can gather never used it:- )
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th March 2007, 06:49 PM
It has a couple of advantages... and some risks.

In my books, the main advantage is quicker sanding time and a better finish. Do your first grit in reverse, the next grit in forwards, the next grit in reverse... and you'll be surprised at the results. :)

I believe it's because when you cut the fibres of the wood are "laid over" one way, so sanding in reverse bends the fibres back.

The main "risk" is having the chuck/faceplate undo itself when you start up the lathe. Easily worked around... make sure it's locked in place with something besides just the spindle-thread (eg. a grub screw) and ramp up the speed slowly.

dai sensei
27th March 2007, 06:54 PM
Not that mine can go in reverse either, but I thought there are also advantages in hollowing for people like me that can only get to one side of the lathe.

DavidG
27th March 2007, 07:00 PM
same as Skew ChiDAMN!!
Chuck has a lock to prevent spin off so sometimes I turn the inside of a bowl in reverse. Just the ones that are hard to get to or I need to see better.

lubbing5cherubs
27th March 2007, 07:10 PM
Gidday Thanks Guys
Toni

chrisb691
27th March 2007, 07:12 PM
I thought if you made a mistake, then you could put it in reverse and put the wood back on. :-

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2007, 07:16 PM
As Skew says, and also handy for some deep hollowing situations.

For me the main reason is for outboard turning, I can put a chuck on either side of the head. Mine also comes with a locking grub screw and collar

rsser
27th March 2007, 07:16 PM
I thought if you made a mistake, then you could put it in reverse and put the wood back on. :-

Works in the parallel universe apparently but then the trees there reverse back into the ground too.

lubbing5cherubs
27th March 2007, 07:19 PM

COOL just what i needed..LOL:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th March 2007, 07:38 PM
COOL just what i needed..LOL:D

You too? :D

I need to fit a reverse switch to my table saw as well... and add a BIG hopper on top of my handplanes. :rolleyes:

chrisb691
27th March 2007, 07:42 PM
Works in the parallel universe apparently but then the trees there reverse back into the ground too.

You would have to be fast catching the wood, wouldn't you.

rsser
27th March 2007, 10:19 PM
Yep. And you couldn't use a chainsaw either ;-}

thefixer
27th March 2007, 10:26 PM
I don't have a reversable lathe, but being left handed it would come very handy for me. I am not comfortable while hollowing out from the front of the lathe and too old to change to right handed, so I go around to the the other side and do my deep hollowing from there while holding the chisels in a left handed fashion.

Cheers
Shorty

Tornatus
27th March 2007, 10:49 PM
Ain't this forum marvelous - all the usual suspects who are not backwards in coming forward to give direction ..... after all, as the seagull said to his girlfriend, one good tern deserves another! :screwy:

Gra
27th March 2007, 10:56 PM
does it beep while it is reversing......

ok I think it is time I went to bed....

thefixer
27th March 2007, 10:57 PM
Ain't this forum marvelous - all the usual suspects who are not backwards in coming forward to give direction ..... after all, as the seagull said to his girlfriend, one good tern deserves another! :screwy:

I've never seen a left handed tern:D

Cheers
Shorty

Tornatus
27th March 2007, 11:07 PM
I've never seen a left handed tern:D

Cheers
Shorty

I'm not surprised - I've never seen a tern with hands ..... :pop:

thefixer
27th March 2007, 11:19 PM
I'm not surprised - I've never seen a tern with hands ..... :pop:

We'd better shutup or we'll get accused of hijacking this thread.

Cheers
Shorty

2shane
27th March 2007, 11:22 PM
The reason that lathes have reverse is for the left handed.

thefixer
27th March 2007, 11:30 PM
The reason that lathes have reverse is for the left handed.

That can't be the only reason. No other power tool is left handed friendly. You can't use a drill press left handed. When you use a power saw left handed the plate is on the wrong side and the dust spews into your face and any other power tool with a lock button is inadvertantly locked on without the left handers knowledge, therefore when the tool jams the power will not switch off when the trigger is released. Has any other molly duker ever experienced these problems?

Cheers
Shorty