PDA

View Full Version : Big Gloat for me anyway

Bill Wyko
28th March 2007, 05:30 AM
I know I'm new to turning but I decided to turn my Jet mini into a 3 wheel buffer. I'm now the proud owner of a new Jet 1442vs. Here's a pic of the lathe and the first piece I turned on it. I've only been turning since December but the vortex got its clutches on me and won't let go.:doh:

masoth
28th March 2007, 07:08 AM
Well done, Bill. Give us an idea of the dimensions, and what you finished the bowl with.

soth

DoctorBobski
28th March 2007, 07:21 AM
Beautiful work! You said you've only been turning since December. How are you learning? Joined a club? Books? Mentor?

Bill Wyko
28th March 2007, 07:58 AM
The dimension of this piece is about 9 inches in diameter and 4-1/2 inches tall and the thickness is less than 3/16". The openings in the walnut segment was done with an Incra Jig router system which by the way will allow me to do all sorts of patterns in open segments. The top is Teak and the burl is eucalyptus and the thin rings are hard Maple. As far as learning goes. I haven't been to any classes or been hands on with any help. What I did do though was buy the book about Ray Allen and the book by Malcolm Tibbetts. Between those two and all the people on the forums I've been on, that's how I've been able to get this far. It seems that all the people involved in wood turning are very generous with the information needed to do this. Everyone has been wonderfully helpful in every way. I haven't came across a bad attitude yet. I give everyone an A+. I know I'm a newbie but if there's any way I can help with segmenting or something please feel free to ask.:2tsup: