PDA

View Full Version : 12' MDF shelves with Kwila Trim

barrysumpter
28th May 2000, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone,
I've just finished building a free standing 12' high x 30" wide x 15" deep x 3/4" thick MDF book shelf.
I'll be slotting it into a place just beside my fireplace of just slightly larger dimentions.

Before I do, I'd like to finish the shelves outside before bring it inside.

I'll be trimming the front only (since it is the only exposed part of the shelves) with Maribu Kwila.

And since none of the shelves will be exposed to the viewers eyes, except the inside of the shelves themselves, (Where people can see past the books),

I was wondering if I really need to paint/finish the outside, back, and edges of the mdf?

And if so what should I use?

Should I match the color to the Kwila or just go black or maybe a dark oak?

Also, as mentioned above I'll be trimming the front with Maribu Kwila.

What should I use to finish the Maribu Kwila?

I'll be using a planer on the Kwila. I'm hoping that 120 grade sand paper is all I'll need between the planing and finishing.

Would this be correct?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 28 May 2000).]

RFNK
28th May 2000, 09:07 PM
Maybe I'm the wrong person to answer this because I just hate MDF but, here goes anyway. If you don't seal MDF it will swell and split upon contact with any moisture whatsoever, it will pick up any dirt, dust, grease, oil that happens to be closer than the next suburb, and it will go spotty from mould. Seal it with just about anything and as long as it doesn't have to move very often, it should be pretty serviceable. One coat of sanding sealer and one coat of anything else should do. Rick

Shane Watson
29th May 2000, 11:21 AM
Yeah Rick has pretty much summed it up. Although MDF nowadays is suspose (?) to be waterproof. Yeah right. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Even a quick coat or two of old house paint would do the trick. You don't really want to be spending years on it if it ain't gonna be seen. But what ever you do put a good coat of sealer/paint on the bottom edges, these edges are the ones that will soak up any little bit of moisture.

I spray a lot of new kitchens in 2-pac poly-u for cabinetmakers and all of the better cabi's request that all edges that will be touching or just above the ground to be coated extra good. Unfortunately the not so good cabi's request those edges be left untreated as to save a few dollars..... Mmmmm anyway I always have left over in the gun to do them.....Lucky them

The other option if ya wanta spend a bit of time on it. Coat the whole cabinet with a toner. Another words just add a bit of stain that will match your timber facing to some lacquer and spray light mist coats over the cabinet until the desired colour is achieved. This process works quite well on MDF and a lot of people can't tell that it is MDF once its done. And the advantage in this method is that it will match your timber facing. Obviously you don't want to coat the timber facing with this.

Use what ever you like to finish the Kwila. Best to use what your familiar with. I would use a good quaility lacquer. But sealing with Shellac and finishing with beeswax gives a nice natural finish.

You may want to sand to a finer grit than 120g. Especially if you have a nice sharp planer. 120g may infact ruin the planers work. But if the planer was harsh then yeah sand with 120g but then work your way down to say 320g and finish from there.

Remember its the preparation you put in that will determine the quality of the finish.

HTH

Cheers

Shane..

Mac Simmons
30th May 2000, 02:10 PM
You may also want to first apply a "glue sizing" on the MDF before you apply any coating.

It is great primer/sealer, and will save you some extra coats of material.

MacS

------------------