PDA

View Full Version : Run down on chucking

rsser
3rd April 2007, 11:40 PM
There's been some discussion on chucking recently (not the technicolour kind happily :C ). This guide might be helpful to beginning turners:

http://www.detroitareawoodturners.org/chuck_type.pdf

[Edit: thanks Skew ... link changed]

Ashore
4th April 2007, 12:19 AM
I have watched the footage and munalitherian ( spelling ) for sure and possibly that Kiwi Bond but definately not Lee .:rolleyes:

scooter
4th April 2007, 12:19 AM
Link not working, Ern

Cheers..................Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th April 2007, 01:23 AM
Try here: http://www.detroitareawoodturners.org/chuck_type.pdf

:D

scooter
5th April 2007, 12:51 AM
Problem musta been my end, both links working now :confused:

Thanks fellas.

rsser
5th April 2007, 07:31 AM
Yep Scooter, you've just entered a parallel universe. In it you'll find all the socks you've lost from a pair and there's a mirror image of your worst enemy waiting. Lathes also rotate clockwise and trees grow into saplings using your shavings.

And I edited the url after Skew pointed it out.

WillyInBris
5th April 2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for that Ern all helps.

scooter
5th April 2007, 11:57 PM
And I edited the url after Skew pointed it out.

Oh :-:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th April 2007, 12:41 AM
I'd have del'd my post after Ern fixed it, but I was too slow on the uptake. :shrug:

I can't say I've ever seen a 'pin chuck' in quite the configuration shown in that chart. Not with the cammed dowel idea, anyway. I think I prefer the bicycle goose-neck type of setup instead.

But all the same, it has fairly comprehensive coverage. More than I've seen in any one chart, at least. Thanks for the link, Ern... I wonder if Dingo has seen it yet?

RETIRED
12th April 2007, 04:56 PM
I'd have del'd my post after Ern fixed it, but I was too slow on the uptake. :shrug:

I can't say I've ever seen a 'pin chuck' in quite the configuration shown in that chart. Not with the cammed dowel idea, anyway. I think I prefer the bicycle goose-neck type of setup instead.
But all the same, it has fairly comprehensive coverage. More than I've seen in any one chart, at least. Thanks for the link, Ern... I wonder if Dingo has seen it yet?One of the English manufacturers used this idea and I had one somewhere. Long before Vicmark or Technatool. Great for dry hardwoods but not too good on wet timber as the "dowel" embedded itself into the timber.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th April 2007, 05:46 PM
I shouldn't be surprised, really. It's logical enough and the same principle has been used on some single-ended pen mandrels I've seen.

(I don't recommend the latter... they move the pen tube slightly off-centre. Better an "expanding" type, like an anchor bolt than one of these, IMHO)