PDA

View Full Version : My First Dyed/Colored Piece

Gil Jones
4th April 2007, 04:41 PM
6 1/8” X 6 1/8” (15.56cm X 15.56cm) hollow form with .187” (4.75mm) walls.
The body is slightly spalted Maple dyed red with two coats of calligraphy ink, and the collar is Cherry dyed black with two coats of India ink. The finish is five coats of Deft aerosol lacquer, polished with 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material (auto-paint polish).
Your observations are welcome and appreciated.

WillyInBris
4th April 2007, 05:02 PM
That looks bloody awesome Gil love the finish and the colour, it almost looks metallic.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th April 2007, 05:04 PM
I've never been a fan of dyeing/staining wood.... but that one came out looking marvelous!

Nice job!

ptc
4th April 2007, 05:36 PM
Gee another boob.
Very nice though.

WillyInBris
4th April 2007, 05:58 PM
I like boobs:D

ss_11000
4th April 2007, 06:15 PM
awesome:clap:

great colouring mate..nice form too!

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
4th April 2007, 06:43 PM
very nice indeed
Toni

GordRocks
4th April 2007, 07:14 PM
Absolutely Beautiful!! Only hope this beginner can one day do something close to that quality.

.....Gord

masoth
4th April 2007, 09:37 PM
Absolutely Beautiful!! Only hope this beginner can one day do something close to that quality.

.....Gord

Welcome aboard .......

soth

joe greiner
4th April 2007, 10:20 PM
The really nice thing about this technique is that the maple grain shows through the dye. Much, much better than the painted stuff.

This was Gil's Show 'n' Tell last night (Tuesday) at North Florida Woodturners. (http://n-fl-woodturners.org/) A larger pic will be posted in a week or two. (All volunteers, y'know; and must be done in time available.)

Joe

Gil Jones
5th April 2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks to you all for the cheery comments, and curious observations.
I am not a dyed-in-the-wool follower of wood dyeing and coloring, but I have seen a good many of them, and wanted to try my hand at the technique. Truly, it is just a hollow form with color under the finish.

Cliff Rogers
5th April 2007, 11:53 AM
Good one Gil. :2tsup:
I'll have to try some colours too one day.

joe greiner
5th April 2007, 02:00 PM
This was Gil's Show 'n' Tell last night (Tuesday) at North Florida Woodturners. (http://n-fl-woodturners.org/) A larger pic will be posted in a week or two.

Joe

Correction: Tuesday's pics have already been posted. Meeting ended a bit early, and not much on the tube, I guess.

Joe

Gil Jones
6th April 2007, 10:53 AM
The original photo was over exposed and I was at a loss about how to do it right and still see the sides. I think that I have figured it out, and here is a composite pic that does look like the real piece. Thanks for bearing with me on this.

paul collins
6th April 2007, 11:03 AM
nice gil very nice.colours look great.:2tsup:

ptc
6th April 2007, 12:15 PM
I bet they are nice to handle !!

OGYT
6th April 2007, 01:41 PM
Truly nice one, Gil. Like the grain ... the way it shows through the dye. Know what it looks like? Yeah. That's it. :stirthepot:
:welldone: