PDA

View Full Version : Tormek

TheBigBJ
14th July 2003, 09:45 PM
Hi Guys,
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a wet grinder and I wa just wondering if any one out there has used these for sharpening their turning tools. At the moment I am using the Woodcut Tru-Grind on my 6" grinder and when ever my tools go bunt, as tools always do, I simply hone them with diamond stones in much the same way as Jerry Glaser suggests for his tools. As I am always hearing about woodcarvers and cabinet makers raving over how sharp the Tormek makes their tools I was just interested in some wood turners opinions.

Also, as wood turning tools require frequent re-sharpening would I need to go for the larger model (rated for continuous use) as you would be for ever switching the smaller unit on and off?

Thanks
From
BJ

p.s. does any one know who is demonstrating at the phillip island turn-around around this year?

ubeaut
15th July 2003, 12:14 AM
No one demonstrates at Phillip Island it is a weekend for all to do their own thing. There never has been demonstrators and there never will. People may stop to watch certain turners do their thing but that doesn't make them a demonstrators, just another turner doing his or her thing.

It is a weekend where you can ask to see something done and usually someone will show you how, it is a weekend where those with years of experience can mix with novices and beginners and all are on the same footing and all have but one goal. To turn wood.

Then again there those who stay in the "Animal House" (Lodge 1) who are just there to have fun and create as much havock as possible.

Cheers - Neil :D

PS I wouldn't bother with a Tormec for your turning tools. It won't make them any sharper and will take 10 times longer to sharpen them and they will never be right. Come see me at the island and I will demonstrate how to sharpen a turning tool in a couple of seconds without the aid of any sort of jig or even a toolrest.

That is I would if there were any demonstrators there but their aren't so I'll just have to show you how.

TheBigBJ
16th July 2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks Neil, I will certainly take you up on the offer.
I originally started using a grinding jig as I was absolutely useless at grinding fingernail grinds and went through the better part of a henry taylor spindle gouge in about 1 year by having to constantly re-shape the edge.
Also I was wondering if there is any advantage in having an 8 inch grinder over a 6 and if so should I up-grade?
Thanks for the reply.
BJ

q9
16th July 2003, 09:07 PM
It probably isn't that critical. I would prefer an 8 inch over a 6, but wont be rushing out to buy one.

Neil
16th July 2003, 11:04 PM
I have a 6" and an 8". I prefer the 8" but whish I had purchased a 10" instead of the 8" twenty years ago when I updated. Have used a couple of 10"ers and found them to be wonderful. There is definitely a difference. The fact that you don't need to press as hard to get the same grinding effect as on a small wheel makes for smoother and quicker and moch cooler grinding.

As q9 says: it really isn't critical, and I for one won't be rushing out to buy another one either, but if ever I had to replace the ones I have it would be with a 10".

Cheers - Neil :)