PDA

View Full Version : I'm a learnin'

bob w
5th April 2007, 03:01 AM
I have just been given a lathe and some tools and would like to know if there are any good videos that will give me the basics on wood turning. The last time I used a wood lathe (or any lathe for that matter) was when I was at school. As I finished high school in 1960 I have forgotten anything learned and lost any skills I might have once had.:? :?
Cheers
Bob W

rsser
5th April 2007, 07:36 AM
Hi Bob,

You can try your local library; they sometimes have turning videos. If you're flush, you can order some from SkillsPublish online. Both Darlow and Richard Raffan are Aussies and have produced videos. The Raffan introductory book is also worth a look.

Welcome to the addiction. You too must have missed out on the innoculation.

Bill Wyko
5th April 2007, 08:36 AM
A couple good books on segmented turning are the one by Malcolm Tibbetts and another on Ray Allen. The Ray Allen one is very easy and step by step. Malcolms gets into some great detail on various ways of turning. Good luck.:2tsup:

Tornatus
5th April 2007, 11:42 PM
G'day Bob

I have the greatest respect for Mike Darlow as a turner, and as an expert on the technical aspects of woodturning, but I cannot recommend his videos - unless you suffer from insomnia. It is a great pity that someone who has so much skill and knowledge to pass on appears to lack the ability to communicate that information effectively.

On the other hand, I highly recommend Richard Raffan's turning videos, because he is a natural teacher who engages and entertains you as he demonstrates his considerable skills in a clear, easy-to-follow style.

I believe, however, that the best use for instructional videos is for revision and refinement of technique. Nothing beats being shown how to do it face to face, one on one - you will learn far more from one session of direct personal instruction than you will from hours of videos or books. Check out your local woodworking club, or have a bit of a hunt round for an individual, or an educational institution, who offers lessons. It may cost a few bucks, but the investment will save heaps of time and unnecessary frustrations.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th April 2007, 12:33 AM
Nothing beats being shown how to do it face to face, one on one - you will learn far more from one session of direct personal instruction than you will from hours of videos or books.

Agreed.

But Practice should be backed up with Theory... before I even picked up my first chisel I spent hours poring over asstd. manuals. Everything I could get, from old high-school texts through to Rowley's "WT: A Foundation Course" and H. O'Neill's "The Complete Spindle Turner." (I heartily recommend the last two. :wink:) Not so much for methods or techniques, but to find out the "why's."

Most teacher's can show the "how's" but I've found from other other hobbies that the "how's" sink in better when I understand the "why's" behind them. :D As I said: practice backed up by theory.

(It also gives you an idea of whether your teacher has bad habits! :oo:)

bob w
6th April 2007, 08:19 AM
Many thanks to all for your advice.
I will look at the library but will also check out the "local" woodworkers club also TAFE to see if they run any courses that deal with turning. I have heard that there are "mens sheds" being started in the local area so will check them out as well. They are apparently places where retired guys can go and pass on some of the skills they have aquired to other retired guys. I am not retired yet but could squeeze in some time and may be able to help out in other ways.
Once again thanks for your help and I hope "soon" to be able to post some pics of my first attempt at making something worthwhile.
Cheers Bob W:2tsup: :2tsup: :; :;

rsser
6th April 2007, 08:45 AM
Skew: damn good point about understanding the why. That's the way I like to learn, (but then not everyone is like me, a source of lifelong consternation :( ).

(I spent most of my first month of lathe ownership practising sharpening since all the books said that was a key skill. With an old set of CS tools and a GMC wet grinder, reshaping a gouge took a couple of hours :doh: ).

Tornatus, your point is clear in their books too and I find Raffan an easier read. That said, Darlow uses a consistent technical language about tool presentation and when mastered that leaves much less room for confusion than other writers. Eg. Raffan, on turning a bead on a bowl outside - I've read it dozens of times and still don't get it. (Have to get off my *rse and do out and try it :rolleyes: ).

WillyInBris
6th April 2007, 12:43 PM
Hi and welcome,

I have found lessons to be invaluable , it let me try different types of chisels scrapers skews etc and the correct technique as well thus less catches which was something that scared the crikey out of me:o .

The how is how I started then made a hell of a lot of spindles all practice then I got to the why and made a mallet and chisel at the lessons then came home and did the same, so now I have a 2 mallets and four chisel handles. :U

I also learned how to sharpen during the lessons and that made a big difference to my work, I now am starting to adapt some of the technique's that I have learnt over that past six lessons.

You could try Blue Mountains Woodturners, they are a bit far I am sure but they may be able to help you out with people in your area as well.
http://www.pnc.com.au/~k_j/woodturner/.

All knowledge is good one way or another weather it comes from books DVDs or hands on lessons you cant go wrong :2tsup: