PDA

View Full Version : Triton PRA001 powered respirator

Barry Hicks
7th April 2007, 02:52 PM
Has anyone out there had experience with Triton's powered respirator aka personal dust extractor?
I am looking at buying one as a cheaper alternative to a dust extracting outfit. They look ungainly in the catalogue photos and probably wouldn't be a lot of fun in the hot weather. Anyone own one?

Gil Jones
7th April 2007, 03:04 PM
Barry,
I do not know much about the Triton battery bowered respirator, but I can say that I have been using the battery powered Trend AirShield for a couple years now, and I really do like it. There is always a breeze wafting over my face, glasses do not get in the way, and I can say for a fact that my lungs are happy campers not having to breathe in all that wood turning and tool grinding dust. I reckon you will enjoy the results of using whichever one you decide to buy, your lungs will thank you, and you will probably live longer.

rsser
7th April 2007, 03:32 PM
+1 for the Trend. Not cheap but it is comfortable. Positive internal pressure is essential for the trichologically overendowed.

Do a search in any case; the Triton has been commented on in this forum and the Safety one.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th April 2007, 05:41 PM
I don't like helmets. At all. I've tried the Triton (borrowed a mates) and it worked well, but given my dislike I decided it wasn't worth the money and didn't bother following up with buying one of my own. After all, I already have a good dust extractor...

With recent events, I'm beginning to have regrets. Some discomforts are worth putting up with to avoid others. Isn't hindsight wonderful? :rolleyes:

WillyInBris
7th April 2007, 06:15 PM
I had a look at the triton but didn't like the ear muffs not sure if you have to put them on the helmet when in use or not but haven't tried it yet.

I have also been looking at the Carbatec power respirator (pics below) its about $150 but would be a pain with the face shield that I prefer.:doh:

The other thing I have been thinking of is making my own, using a face shield etc and using the Carbatec filters etc I just need to learn how to use a sowing machine.:?

Gra
7th April 2007, 06:46 PM
first question. do you have facial hair. Most masks don't work with facial hair...

I have the triton helmet, it works well, you don't want to wear it without the fan running (it get hot in there), but as long as the fan runs it works great, I have the ear muffs away from my head, haven't really looked into removing them.

mine has paid for itself a number of times, remember it isn't just a dust mask, it also protects your face and head from flying debris. this means you only wear on item, instead of dust mask, safety goggles, something to keep your hair out of the way (If you have any:D:D), etc, this one will cover them all.

Tornatus
7th April 2007, 10:31 PM
:whs: I'm with Gra - I am a very extinguished-looking gentleman with natural facial enhancement, and the Triton fits over the whiskers no trouble at all. The constant air flow keeps the face cool and the glasses demisted, and the polycarbonate face-mask is wide and clear as well as bloody tough. Sticking your head inside the bag takes a bit of getting used to, but it's quite comfy.

I know of one bloke who removed the earmuffs and fitted plugs in their place, but they don't bother me.

Several colleagues who have the Trend and Racal type helmets tell me that the top-heavy weight of the power pack gives them sore necks; though the Triton is bulkier, it is lighter with its power pack on the belt (and the filters are away from the dust source). I have a dodgy neck from osteoarthritis, but the Triton has been OK for me so far.

The Triton is also significantly better value for money than the European types.

The only caveat with the Triton - indeed any "Triton" equipment nowadays - is that the brand name is in the hands of GMC (Garbage & Muck from China ... sorry, Global Machinery Company). My respirator was bought when it was still made by the real Triton, but what happens now I don't know.

Cliff Rogers
7th April 2007, 11:05 PM
I have a Triton PRA001 & I even got a 2nd power pack for it but I don't like the visor. It distorts my vision.
I am happy with the weight & the airflow.

I have gone back to using a 3M 7802 (http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs666DMXc7rrrrQ-)face mask with 2128 (http://www.lascentrum.com/img/gallery//3M/Half%20masks/3M%202000%20filters.jpg) filters.

I don't have a beard so I don't have a problem with a mask.

Gumby
7th April 2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=47620

Twinnie
8th April 2007, 12:32 AM
i have a triton but the bigest problem for me is the batterys, they are 6 months or so old and won't keep a charge. admitedly i don't treat them the way ni cads should but 6 months! i like the helmet even though it can be a bit big at times but being a full helmet it has saved my nogin a few times now so i'm going replace the baterys and keep with it.

on a side note don't wear the fan unit at the back you'll soon find out why...

Matt

Steven Russell
8th April 2007, 02:06 AM
Hello Barry,

I've used the Triton quite a bit while I was demonstrating. It's a good combined system and offers hearing protection in addition to face protection. It can be uncomfortable for some people with the large helmet though and some woodturners have told me that it does not deliver enough air and that the hose gets in the way when you are moving around your shop. I've heard about short life on the batteries as well, but I only used my Triton for about 2 hours each day, so I always had plenty of juice left.

You might look at a Trend face-shield, its very quiet and you can use protective covers on the face-shield to keep scratches off the visor. The batteries last and last and it's not uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time. I also demonstrated with a Trend and I really liked it overall. They are both good systems and it really comes down to features and your personal turning style and preferences. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

rodent
8th April 2007, 02:43 AM
HI I have two tritons now one old one new . The bits on it have been changed around for some of the older ones ( the older one was not used at all before i got it ) the blower and battery box (I find ) need tape on them to get a good seal . And the battery system Im going to have a look at . Why you ask .one look at the ratings on the battery's the correct charge rate for a nicad is 10% of its rating so a 4000 ma battery should be charged at 400 milliamp for 14 hours ( my battery's also have a fast charge rate written on them ) . There trickle charge rate is 20% of there charge rate so 20% of 400 is 80 milliamp so im also looking to make a trickle charger . Nothing worse than going to pick it up and find it's flat .:~

Barry Hicks
8th April 2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the helpful advice fellas! I can feel a Triton coming on.

Ross
8th April 2007, 08:31 AM
Hills Clearence Centre in Sydney still had a couple left a month back. I think I paid $130.00 for mine.

Ross

WillyInBris
8th April 2007, 01:13 PM
I can only find them up in brisbane for around the $200 mark any one seen any better prices

turnerted
8th April 2007, 05:47 PM
I have been using my Triton resporator for about two years now and am quite happy with it . I normally use it with the ear muffs in the open position when turning but use them to suppress the noise of my dust extractor when I'm sanding .You will need a compressed air source , if you don't already have one,to blow the dust off the prefilters . They block up pretty quickly , ie sanding one bowl . Triton talk about washing them I think , but it dos'nt work .
Ted

Salty
9th April 2007, 09:16 AM
I have a 3M/Racal dustmaster which I find excellent. Carbatec still list some parts for them in their cattledog but I don't think they sell them any longer. I picked mine up second hand and have had the nicads repacked locally and it goes like a bird.

Woodturnerjosh
9th April 2007, 08:10 PM
To Cliff Rogers,
I was just wondering if you could tell us how you find the 3M respirator with regards to it fitting under a full face shield and also fogging things up?
The reason I ask is that I also have a Triton that I became sick of using and now only use valved disposable masks. While I have no real problems with using these I do find they get stuffy and hot after a while so an upgrade to a respirator is on the books.
If there is any one in the Geelong area that would like a free Triton respirator that is a few years old but in working order PM me.
Thanks
Josh Stevens

scooter
9th April 2007, 08:33 PM
PM sent :)

Cliff Rogers
9th April 2007, 10:13 PM
To Cliff Rogers,
I was just wondering if you could tell us how you find the 3M respirator with regards to it fitting under a full face shield and also fogging things up?....
I don't use it under a full face shield, I use the polycarb saftey glasses with the # 1 magnifiers build in.
Sometimes in cold weather I get a bit of fog on a lens if it is not sitting right but not to the point that it annoys me.

cedar n silky
10th April 2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Barry.
I have atatched a thread

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=42720

for a simple triton modification I did earlier in the year, which IMHO makes it much more user freindly. (I hope the thread works, otherwise do a search for triton respirators on this forum)
Cheers.:)

Barry Hicks
10th April 2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the useful advice/info.

Barry Hicks

Woodturnerjosh
10th April 2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the response Cliff.
I will have to see if I can get my hands on one to see if it will fit.
Cheers
Josh