PDA

View Full Version : Danish vs Teak

q9
17th July 2003, 01:10 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between Danish oil and Teak oil (besides the spelling)?

So far I have been able to work out that they are both a polymerised, refined, linseed oil. Beyond that, I'm not sure. They both stink, and are roughly the same colour and viscosity.

Theva
17th July 2003, 01:38 AM
Daniswh oil has a higher concentration of syntetic polymers (poly or alkyd resins) - harder finish.

Cheers,
Theva

Neil
17th July 2003, 01:53 AM
Danish Oil in simple terms is usually a mixture of various oils with either polyurethane, spa varnish or polymerised stand oils. Used expressly as a finish.

Teak Oil on the other hand was originally used for upkeep of furniture, especially teak. This may have changed in the past 20 or so years to become a finishing oil but I think it is still more along the lines of an upkeep oil.

However I could be completely wrong on this one as I really have very little to do with oils of any sort. I just remember some 35 years ago being told to oil our teak sideboard, lounge chairs and dining table, etc. regularly with Teak Oil. I think from memory it was a Wattyl product.

Cheers - Neil :)

q9
17th July 2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks. So teak oil is a bit "lighter" then?

I bought some Cabot's Danish oil, just to have, then I thought, "gee I wonder how this'd go on that old teak coffee table..." So tried a leg. Was just wondering if perhaps the teak oil would be better, 'cause, err..., its teak.

Wattyl recommends using a flat poly finish before oiling (either danish or teak), however I am just using straight oil as per Cabot's blurb. Seems to be working quite well. I might actually do it as per Wattyl's instructions when I make something new and see how that goes.

Anyone tried this?

Johnno
17th July 2003, 05:24 PM
Where does this lot compare with Triton Oil? (I like the smell, but is it any good?)

Johhno2

Neil
17th July 2003, 06:43 PM
Rebadged Organoil.

Mac Simmons
20th July 2003, 12:20 AM
Neil,
I agree with you in regard to the Danish and Teak Oils.
The Danish Oils, was a drying oil that produced a thin coating , while the Teak Oil, was a polish that contain a dye colorant and solvents, it never dried.
It appears now, that if you add any drying oil to a solvent, a touch of colorant, and called it any name that sounds interesting, you sell it.

behindblueeyes
21st July 2003, 05:36 PM
Nowadays I think here is little difference between the two - Danish Oil and Scandanavian Teak Oil.

And always if you try something different to the norm with a particular finish - test it on a piece of scrap timber first. This tip comes free from my experience!